5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedding of brakes

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok stupid question for all of you with your 19 Ram ( or about to get them)... are you bedding your brakes when you first get your truck? I've read up on how to do it but I've never actually done it on any new vehicle I've ever gotten ( never had an issue either ) and I'm trying to figure out if it's really necessary for new vehicles.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say its probably not necessary, but at the same time it's probably not a bad idea. You'd have nothing to lose by doing it and it could help out.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Ok stupid question for all of you with your 19 Ram ( or about to get them)... are you bedding your brakes when you first get your truck? I've read up on how to do it but I've never actually done it on any new vehicle I've ever gotten ( never had an issue either ) and I'm trying to figure out if it's really necessary for new vehicles.
No. Brand new vehicle. If there are ANY brake issues, it's on the dealer. Harass until fixed.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did on my Corvette. One, hard to do. You need to be able to do a minimum of 40 sixty to almost zero cycles without stopping - hard stops. Two, then be able to drive for about 20 miles without touching the brakes to let them cool. Near the end mine were smoking a lot.

Will I do that to the truck.... Nope. If I am one that ends up with brake squealing I'll try some hard stops. If that doesn't work I'll see if Carbotech sells pads for the Ram.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I did on my Corvette. One, hard to do. You need to be able to do a minimum of 40 sixty to almost zero cycles without stopping - hard stops. Two, then be able to drive for about 20 miles without touching the brakes to let them cool. Near the end mine were smoking a lot.

Will I do that to the truck.... Nope. If I am one that ends up with brake squealing I'll try some hard stops. If that doesn't work I'll see if Carbotech sells pads for the Ram.

Thats a pretty intense procedure. I followed this one when I did the pads/rotors on my last car and it seemed to work well.

• STEP 1: Find a safe place to execute the break-in procedure for your vehicle.
  • STEP 2: Perform 5 moderate or aggressive stops at 5MPH/10km to 40MPH/60km without allowing the brakes to cool down or coming to a complete stop.
  • STEP 3: Perform 5 moderate stops at 5MPH/10km to 25MPH/40km and allow the rotors cool down after each application.
Under 10 mins and I was done.

Chirp08

Reaction score
Thats a pretty intense procedure. I followed this one when I did the pads/rotors on my last car and it seemed to work well.

• STEP 2: Perform 5 moderate or aggressive stops at 5MPH/10km to 40MPH/60km without allowing the brakes to cool down or coming to a complete stop.
  • STEP 3: Perform 5 moderate stops at 5MPH/10km to 25MPH/40km and allow the rotors cool down after each application.

This is closer to the process I've seen outlined everywhere. I just did new EBC yellow stuff pads and rotors on my '14 Ram and the process was ~5 stops from 35-40mph at a firm but not overly aggressive rate. Then 5 stops from 60mph at a very aggressive but not triggering the ABS rate. Then let everything cool down. By the 5th more aggressive stop the pads were smoking so any more abuse like that would just be wasting material and putting unnecessary heat into the rotors.

Do you have a source that said to do that procedure? 40+ aggressive stops back to back is pretty absurd and would just kill a ton of brake pad material. None of the big brake suppliers recommend anything remotely like this.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is closer to the process I've seen outlined everywhere. I just did new EBC yellow stuff pads and rotors on my '14 Ram and the process was ~5 stops from 35-40mph at a firm but not overly aggressive rate. Then 5 stops from 60mph at a very aggressive but not triggering the ABS rate. Then let everything cool down. By the 5th more aggressive stop the pads were smoking so any more abuse like that would just be wasting material and putting unnecessary heat into the rotors.

Do you have a source that said to do that procedure? 40+ aggressive stops back to back is pretty absurd and would just kill a ton of brake pad material. None of the big brake suppliers recommend anything remotely like this.
Partial quote for Corvette brake burnishing....

Thus the burnishing procedure. The stops in question need to be done sans ABS, ie threshold braking the car, so that a constant pressure is kept on the pad during the stop. This is to help build up the heat in the pad. The goal here is to bake off the top layer of bonding agent from the pad so that an air pocket forming becomes impossible or highly unlikely.

GM has determined that, on average, it takes 50 60-0 stops in 10 minutes' time to get the pads hot enough for that. Basically what you're looking for is the pad to start fading bad during the procedure. That generally happens around stop 40 or so, when braking distances feel like they're increasing dramatically. Once this point has hit, the gasses are beginning to boil off. A few more stops after that point and the brakes will feel like they're grabbing before you even touch the pedal. At that point: you're done. Drive the car for a while at legal speeds to cool the pads

Chirp08

Reaction score
Partial quote for Corvette brake burnishing....

Thus the burnishing procedure. The stops in question need to be done sans ABS, ie threshold braking the car, so that a constant pressure is kept on the pad during the stop. This is to help build up the heat in the pad. The goal here is to bake off the top layer of bonding agent from the pad so that an air pocket forming becomes impossible or highly unlikely.

GM has determined that, on average, it takes 50 60-0 stops in 10 minutes' time to get the pads hot enough for that. Basically what you're looking for is the pad to start fading bad during the procedure. That generally happens around stop 40 or so, when braking distances feel like they're increasing dramatically. Once this point has hit, the gasses are beginning to boil off. A few more stops after that point and the brakes will feel like they're grabbing before you even touch the pedal. At that point: you're done. Drive the car for a while at legal speeds to cool the pads

Thanks, figured it was a C7 thing. Definitely not necessary on the Ram though.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Regarding the owners who have badly squeaking brakes if this does the trick it might need to be a sticky @Jared B I know someone is planning on trying this fix from another thread. Heck, maybe a specific “2019 New Ram Feedback/Issues” section is needed, where the owner’s poll results, malfunction trends, test/confirmation procedures, dealer/service responses, and user solutions could all go? UPDATE: Probably just in the TSBs Maintenance Warranty area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread