5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step

-Nightwind-

Reaction score
I’m looking to install a bed step. I’m seeing the Mopar, AMP, and Bestop. Any recommendations? Any other that I should consider? How easy are they to install by myself? I’m not a mechanic, I tend to stumble through DIY projects. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lewgar

Reaction score
I put the mopar on one, took about 15-20 min total. There is a nice hole and small post that sticks off the step to place it initally before you put the bolts in, super easy install. Hardest part, if you call it that, is getting the bolts out, there are in there very tight.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar is well built, super easy to install and you can hardly tell it's there when it's retracted.

taz2016

Reaction score
I also highly recommend the Mopar step. It cost more but is worth it.

Bubba33

Reaction score
Go.with the Mopar, the step.pad is not cheap like the amp. Videos on YouTube for install. Took about 15 minutes.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Why so damn expensive?
It’s quite heavy duty, and has some very strong springs to keep it from bouncing and banging around over bumps. But... the reality is probably that its Mopar. All the bed steps are generally at or over $200, Mopar just a bit more than most.

FWIW, I have the Mopar and am very happy with it.

moparleo51

Reaction score
its worth its money, and im sure it wont void any warrenty concerns.the price to be able to get into the bed once done makes it priceless..

lewgar

Reaction score
its worth its money, and im sure it wont void any warrenty concerns.the price to be able to get into the bed once done makes it priceless..
I ha e one up for sale in the forums for $150+shipping. New for 2020.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lewgar

Reaction score
I had an Amp on my last truck. The Mopar one tucks in way better and is hidden. The Amp stuck out too much for me and I always knew it was there. But as time went by after 3 years or so the Amp was really hard to put up and down. I had to put ally weight on it and kind of bounce on it to get it down. And kick it a few times to make it go up. I kept the truck clean and I oiled the Amp step to try and make it work better, no luck. Time will tell on the Mopar but it operates way smoother than the Amp day 1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gunny1213

Reaction score
I installed a tailgate ladder -you can get one on amazon for around $52.00 it folds up and attaches to the back of the tailgate out of the way. When you need it it simply unfolds to a step ladder and is easily removed if you need to. quick install. Tailgate ladder.JPG IMG_0961 (1).JPG IMG_0963.JPG

Last edited:

MF2020

Reaction score
Mopar! Excellent quality, hides nicely, operates smoothly and very easy install. Need a torque wrench to do it right.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mopar step works well, and the step is made of metal instead of plastic. Mine wasn't as easy to install as some have indicated. I had to remove the driver's side exhaust tip. But I have the B2 Fabrication 5 inch tips so that might have had something to do with it.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, I am new to Ram and missed the bed step on my Ford. The Mopar step works great, tucks in nicely. I was afraid it was going to ugly and take away from the lines of the truck, but it really doesn't.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
Ordered and got mine from them. Mine hits the resonator when it retracts. Had to shave some material off of step. Alter the bump stop on step. Then 3 washers for each bolt. Now it clears. Not sure why there is a problem when factory says that it fits. Spring seems to have too much tension for retraction.

Users who are viewing this thread