5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Divider/Extender compatibility for 5th Gen?

BugGuy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered.

I recently purchased a 2020 Bighorn with a RamBox. I was disappointed to find that the bed divider wasn't included even though most online sources say it is supposed to be. Regardless, I purchased a used one on ebay. I've have found out that technically, it's no longer allowed to function as an extender from the factory. After watching some videos on youtube, etc., I'm noticing that my bed doesn't have the indents that the bed divider is supposed to lock into. So I'm wonderinf if the the bed divider will work with my truck. (I just got the divider today, but it's been pouring rain and haven't had a chance to try it.) I don't want to open it if it won't work. I'll just resell it. Any thoughts?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered.

I recently purchased a 2020 Bighorn with a RamBox. I was disappointed to find that the bed divider wasn't included even though most online sources say it is supposed to be. Regardless, I purchased a used one on ebay. I've have found out that technically, it's no longer allowed to function as an extender from the factory. After watching some videos on youtube, etc., I'm noticing that my bed doesn't have the indents that the bed divider is supposed to lock into. So I'm wonderinf if the the bed divider will work with my truck. (I just got the divider today, but it's been pouring rain and haven't had a chance to try it.) I don't want to open it if it won't work. I'll just resell it. Any thoughts?
I have a divider and it works with mine. Not sure if something changed with the 2020’s

smcleod417

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 with Ramboxes and bought a bed extender/divider from a pre-2019 and it fits perfectly in my truck.

BugGuy

Reaction score
I was able to try it today and it worked. Yay!!!

INVISBLE

Reaction score
so the only thing that has changed with the divider/extender is that the NHTSA no longer certifies the useage of the divider as a bed "extender" having to do something with the fact that the tailgates are now aluminum and apparently no longer rated to be able to hold the weight or something along those lines. When I bought my 2020 Limited with the RamBox it came with the divider but there where no little connectors to attach it to the rear edges of the bed to use it as an extender. When I queried the dealership about it the sales manager said he didnt know and so called Corp and they told him the '20 models did not come with them for the aforementioned reason. So I simply bypassed that and ordered the attachments from a 2019 model online and now it works as before. At my own risk obviously...

BugGuy

Reaction score
so the only thing that has changed with the divider/extender is that the NHTSA no longer certifies the useage of the divider as a bed "extender" having to do something with the fact that the tailgates are now aluminum and apparently no longer rated to be able to hold the weight or something along those lines. When I bought my 2020 Limited with the RamBox it came with the divider but there where no little connectors to attach it to the rear edges of the bed to use it as an extender. When I queried the dealership about it the sales manager said he didnt know and so called Corp and they told him the '20 models did not come with them for the aforementioned reason. So I simply bypassed that and ordered the attachments from a 2019 model online and now it works as before. At my own risk obviously...

I've heard the reason they discontinued the use as a bed extender was because it obscured the tail lights (only two of the three would be visible). Did your truck have the Bed Utility Group? I've heard that's the only way to get the divider/extender included now (allegedly). Did you have to do any drilling for the attachments? I notice I have plastic caps where they're supposed to go. Was wondering if there are holes underneath and it's a bolt on or if I need to drill. (Drilling is probably a deal breaker for me).

INVISBLE

Reaction score
no drilling, the plastic caps are simply stuck into the threaded holes needed by the adapters to mount. Yes on the BUG on my truck.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
plenty of threads about this already ..
I have a copy of the new Fed law and it really didn't make sense because you still can't see the far side taillamp even with the tailgate closed ..

I've posted plenty of images along with others in another thread .. just order the parts (less than $50 from your local dealer) and install them.

(see attached)

Attachments

• BedExtenderNoLongerLegal.pdf
    600.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190726_151909.jpg
    20190726_151909.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190831_153834.jpg
    20190831_153834.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190831_153837.jpg
    20190831_153837.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20190831_153933.jpg
    20190831_153933.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190831_155707.jpg
    20190831_155707.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190831_161817.jpg
    20190831_161817.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190831_161847.jpg
    20190831_161847.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 102

djjr50

Reaction score
plenty of threads about this already ..
I have a copy of the new Fed law and it really didn't make sense because you still can't see the far side taillamp even with the tailgate closed ..

I've posted plenty of images along with others in another thread .. just order the parts (less than $50 from your local dealer) and install them.

(see attached)

I ordered the parts, installed them and all is great!

Now I am worried that if I take it into a dealer, they may remove my anchors since there is a letter that says they are to remove them. Has that happened to anyone?

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I ordered the parts, installed them and all is great!

Now I am worried that if I take it into a dealer, they may remove my anchors since there is a letter that says they are to remove them. Has that happened to anyone?
Nope. That would be the day....

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I thought about removing them before I take in the truck just to be safe. I'd hate to get in a big kerfluffle over $90 worth of parts!
I seriously doubt they mess with them. I only think they would remove any ones that were installed on a truck prior to it being sold maybe or something.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Man you got ripped off!!

Less than $50 at my local dealer ..
I got mine a year ago and paid about 80 for mine picked up locally in the Dallas Texas area so I guess it depends on how lucky you are. Sounds like you got a sweet deal

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Got mine for like 40 something bucks at some dealers online website a couple months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread