5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed cover Retrax vs Roll n Lock

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in search of a bed cover. It seems Retrax has a better quality retractable, but Roll n Lock has the cargo management system. I am really interested in the cargo management, as we travel in my truck. Does Retrax have this? I haven't been able to find it. If I go with Retrax, I may have to settle with a ratcheting cargo bar. Not sure how that's going to work with the Ram bed liner, and I dont want to bend the bed.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also looking at the bakflip vortrax. Not a bad looking cover either. Worried about how water tight this one would be. Only a 2 year warranty too. any experience with these?

Kibro2

Reaction score
I have GatorTrax bed cover that is essentially the same as Retrax ( I have owned both). I like the fact you can roll it an lock it in any position for hauling larger items if needed. The canister does take up some room but for my needs, works well.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just ordered a retrax pro Mx. Couldn’t pass up the lifetime warranty.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, the company sent the wrong cover. Ended being a retrax one polycarbonate series. They said the pro is on back order and they couldn’t find any. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So I told them to install the 1. Overall it’s nice and going to work fine. He said I can upgrade to the pro by just changing the apron. Reusing the rails and canister. 090F40B4-B0AD-4462-A5C0-E6283F38FC14.jpeg

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, the company sent the wrong cover. Ended being a retrax one polycarbonate series. They said the pro is on back order and they couldn’t find any. 🤷🏻‍♂️ So I told them to install the 1. Overall it’s nice and going to work fine. He said I can upgrade to the pro by just changing the apron. Reusing the rails and canister.
I've had the polycarbonate Gatortrax for 6 years here in NH and it still looks new.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good to hear.
Nothing wrong with the polycarbonate units...they just don't have the strength of the PRO units. My first Retrax was polycarbonate before they ever introduced the new PRO series that are solid aluminum and I had no complaints.

tom coverdill

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in search of a bed cover. It seems Retrax has a better quality retractable, but Roll n Lock has the cargo management system. I am really interested in the cargo management, as we travel in my truck. Does Retrax have this? I haven't been able to find it. If I go with Retrax, I may have to settle with a ratcheting cargo bar. Not sure how that's going to work with the Ram bed liner, and I dont want to bend the bed.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
you can get the cargo management system directly from RAM. I love my retrax tonneau with my Elevate racks. Mounts my Tuffstuff Alpha RTT perfectly. Also the retrax are rated for about 300 pounds i believe. Im 280 and can walk on them easily.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I have a slight leak in the two corners where the tailgate closes. The installer put some weather stripping, but I think it’s getting in the crack pictured below.

36342510-CF37-4401-8445-E2C21F6E9570.jpeg also the tailgate is hard to close and open
Any ideas?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I have a slight leak in the two corners where the tailgate closes. The installer put some weather stripping, but I think it’s getting in the crack pictured below.

View attachment 86825 also the tailgate is hard to close and open
Any ideas?
You can buy some weather stripping on Amazon to fill the void. Some have done exactly that. All of us have the same issue regardless of the cover you buy. I don't get much water in there to matter to me so I left mine as is.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. It really isn’t much water. I have drop in bed liner with the raised ridges too so it shouldn’t touch my stuff. Might try to fill it anyway idk

RebelBlackBetty

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

View attachment 86825 also the tailgate is hard to close and open
Any ideas?
It looks like the rails are canted inward towards the bed, causing pressure on the back of your tailgate. You can check to see if there are any scuff marks on the edge of the tailgate cap. I would check the rear clamps, they were a little tricky to get torqued properly due to a ridge that prevents the clamp from seating as high as it should. While tightening the clamps, you should be pulling upward a little on the rails... this is what mine looks like closed.

Attachments

• FE57DB62-9579-4D29-9FD1-5CEE6BF07428.jpeg
    FE57DB62-9579-4D29-9FD1-5CEE6BF07428.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2FF65558-FA26-4066-A741-E56661856BB8.jpeg
    2FF65558-FA26-4066-A741-E56661856BB8.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread