5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beach Day

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We were finally able to get out on the dunes and beach this weekend for the first time this summer (Covid, schedule, and Piping Plovers conspired against us). It was amazing. This year we got a season pass to Nauset Beach in Orleans on Cape Cod... first time I've been out there in the summer in decades.

The ride on the dunes is epic. I have to get pics or video next time we go. We had traffic behind us so it made it difficult to stop for a good shot. There are two routes... along the beach which can get congested or on the backside which winds along hereditary summer shacks. Vintage Cape Cod. We chose the backside because we were headed out as far as we could go.

The gate attendants recommended that we deflate down to 12 PSI as the sand was very loose. I didn't take it down that far because below 15 PSI the TPMS sensors tend to leap pressure... so 13 PSI could suddenly become 10, and I didn't want that. I could always take some out if necessary... so 15 PSI was enough I thought. However at certain points I was struggling and I had to focus on momentum much more than normal. Just as I was about to get out and let more air out, I noticed I wasn't in 4WD... I had been in 2WD the whole time. DOH! 4WD engaged... no problem the rest of the way... about a 45 minute trek to the break.

Water was on the chilly side, and seals were cruising the beach all day. Being Cape Cod, seeing seals in the water meant no swimming. Seals = Great Whites and the spotter planes were working our area all day. There's a pic below from my wife's shark spotter app that day. The next day, there were 4 confirmed shark sightings right where we were. Fortunately from our spot, the bay side with warmer water and no sharks was a quick walk which made the kids happy.

Anyway... We stayed until late in the afternoon until a thunder shower started to move in. We had to wait almost an hour at the air station to re-inflate the tires, but that afforded the kids a nice nap before getting dinner in town. It was truly an amazing day. I hope you enjoy the photos.
nauset1.jpg
nauset2.jpeg
Nauset7.jpg
nauset3.jpeg
nauset5.jpeg
Sharks.jpeg
Bayside.jpg
Chatham1.jpeg
Chatham2.jpeg

Attachments

• nauset4.jpeg
    nauset4.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
15PSI is as low as i would go on conventional wheels. You can go a little lower in the sand but typically you want to have beadlock wheels to do that consistantly. You'll find people telling you 15psi is too low because of our truck weight, but it's still considered safe even if you were doing some rocks. Make sure you have LT tires though, don't try 15psi on P rated tires. Since you have a Rebel you already LT tires from the factory.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
15PSI is as low as i would go on conventional wheels. You can go a little lower in the sand but typically you want to have beadlock wheels to do that consistantly. You'll find people telling you 15psi is too low because of our truck weight, but it's still considered safe even if you were doing some rocks. Make sure you have LT tires though, don't try 15psi on P rated tires. Since you have a Rebel you already LT tires from the factory.
I more or less agree. I think I could get away with 12 PSI if I wanted to fine tune each tire with a hand held gauge... which would be tedious. I just throw on 4 deflators and watch the pressure readings from the screen. And ya... 15 was fine... I was doing it in 2wd.

Underrated feature is when the truck honks at you when you're airing up and achieve proper PSI.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
You can yes. there is no right or wrong per se. 12psi will be better than 15 in sugarish sand.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad you had a great day. I was looking for some information like this. Prepping to take my Rebel out on the sand for the first time in the Outer Banks, NC for the first time!

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll have a blast! Just air down and you won't have any issue... the truck is a beast in the sand.

I forgot to mention, the tide had come in on one section of trail on the way back. Had to wade across 200+ feet of water, at least a foot and a half deep. Before I took her to the car wash the next morning I was picking seaweed off my front tow hooks and on top of my license plate.

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
Awesome! Glad you had a great day. I was looking for some information like this. Prepping to take my Rebel out on the side for the first time in the Outer Banks, NC for the first time!
I had my Longhorn on the sands of the northern Outer Banks all last week with with its 22" wheels. I only aired down to about 23psi, which worked fine. The sand was pretty packed all week from frequent rains, but there were quite a few deep puddles to get through on the back side of the dunes. I am not sure how well airing down much more would work on the low-profile 22s. The Goodyear Touring tires are not ideal off-road tires in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online