5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery dead but fine. Truck won't start with jump. Dealer says nothing wrong!!

Tenacious K9

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I came out to my 2019 Ram Limited dead in the garage (20K miles on it). Threw a jump box on it and the running boards would come out but it would not start. I threw a trickle charger on it over night and in the morning there was nothing. It would not start and had zero juice in the battery.

Ram Care came to tow it the following day, put the jump box on it and it started. I drove it to the dealer for the service appointment but on the way the sensors would not work, the a/c would not work and the transmission would not shift out of first gear (luckily the dealer was not too far).

Dealer checked the codes and it threw about 30 electrical system codes. Dealer thought it was just the battery, but had to check it.

After about 8 hours I called the dealer to see what was going on with it. They advised the battery was 100% dead (but rated as a good battery and not in need of being replaced) and they have charged it up and there was nothing wrong anymore.

Any idea what I can tell them to check. Reading the forum I saw it could possibly be a lose fuse wire/relay.

Anyone else had this or can think of what is going on I'm all ears. I'd rather not be stranded when the root of the issue is not fixed. If you need more info let me know what you need. Thx!

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Obviously it was dead for a reason. Did they check for electrical drains while shut off?

Tenacious K9

Reaction score
They did. Said it was not an issue. They kept it over the weekend to talk to the engineers tomorrow. They wanted to give it back but I want happy with that.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Codes, Sensors and AC issues are dead-battery related.
The truck needs a few hours to sync with everything and in the meantime it will be weird...

I did have THIS problem with eTorque but it doesn't look like the case with yours...

Tenacious K9

Reaction score
Codes, Sensors and AC issues are dead-battery related.
The truck needs a few hours to sync with everything and in the meantime it will be weird...

I did have THIS problem with eTorque but it doesn't look like the case with yours...
Thanks! I hope yours was fixed and back on the road, I’ll update the thread tomorrow when they call.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
If everything checked out I'd probably bite the bullet and put in a new battery.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '20 with 3k miles was completely dead today, had to have roadside service come out and even the booster pack wouldn't start it. Had to jump it from his truck. I let it run for 30 minutes and it will start, but I have the service air suspension warning now.

HeavyMetal777

Reaction score
Doesn’t really sound like this is your issue but I’ll throw it out there anyway since it has not been mentioned. I have a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 L. It did not start one night when I was trying to go out to dinner with friends we tried for about five minutes and then it fired up and worked fine for the next two weeks. Then one morning it wouldn’t start so I got it towed to the dealer and the tech told me there is a service bulletin on two possible loose ground wires. When my truck was checked one of them was loose. Perfect ever since.

datammwv13

Reaction score
My 2021 longhorn etorqe had a similar issue. They changed grounds, changed battery. Finally determined it was bad Generator. {No alternator in etorqe} National backorder on part. I had only had truck 3 months but was in shop 60 of those till selling dealership did right thing and swapped me out for new one three weeks ago. That part has been on national backorder for over 4 months. Over 289 in queue/ordered but none filled. Hopefully you will have some better luck.

Steve White Motors is an outstanding dealership & Kodie Surratt has been outstanding person to work with.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread