5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bakflip MX4 - safety (theft?) thoughts

Mile High Magic

Reaction score
Posting in case you own one of these! About a month ago, after a round of golf, I managed to lock my keys in the bed of my truck. With the smart key fob (which was in the side pocket of my golf bag), and my truck locked, I went to the tailgate, popped it open, put my clubs in, shut the tailgate, and whammy - couldn't open it! Thankfully, a buddy of mine was at my office, and brought me my second key. Fast forward to last weekend. Up in the mountains, managed to do the same thing (I'm an idiot). NO chance to get a second key up there. So, I started messing around with the MX4 cover. It has a watertight seal, installed correctly, etc etc. Anywho, I found a stick, and wedged it up underneath the driver's side rear corner, where the cover meets the tailgate. It was flexing pretty hard, and I was worried about breaking it, but I needed my keys, and it would have to be broken regardless, if this didn't work. With the help of a buddy, I lifted up the corner enough, so that he (skinny fingers) could pull on the wire, to release the last panel. The whole thing took about ten seconds, and I was in the bed area.

GOOD, in the sense that I didn't have to call a locksmith/break my cover.

BAD, because I didn't realize it was possible to manipulate it with a stick and some fingers.

The cover still looks/functions like normal, at this point, with no recurring issues.

I know that these types of solutions aren't the end all/be all for security ( I use it primarily for weather protection, here in Colorado), and that if someone wants to get into your vehicle, they'll do it. I was just a bit surprised at how easy it was to accomplish. I'll still buy one for future trucks, but I'll be a little more cognizant of what I keep in there.

TLDR - Bakflip MX4 can be manipulated/opened pretty easily, with two people. A heads up, in the event that you have valuables in the back, and weren't aware.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Posting in case you own one of these! About a month ago, after a round of golf, I managed to lock my keys in the bed of my truck. With the smart key fob (which was in the side pocket of my golf bag), and my truck locked, I went to the tailgate, popped it open, put my clubs in, shut the tailgate, and whammy - couldn't open it! Thankfully, a buddy of mine was at my office, and brought me my second key. Fast forward to last weekend. Up in the mountains, managed to do the same thing (I'm an idiot). NO chance to get a second key up there. So, I started messing around with the MX4 cover. It has a watertight seal, installed correctly, etc etc. Anywho, I found a stick, and wedged it up underneath the driver's side rear corner, where the cover meets the tailgate. It was flexing pretty hard, and I was worried about breaking it, but I needed my keys, and it would have to be broken regardless, if this didn't work. With the help of a buddy, I lifted up the corner enough, so that he (skinny fingers) could pull on the wire, to release the last panel. The whole thing took about ten seconds, and I was in the bed area.

BAD, because I didn't realize it was possible to manipulate it with a stick and some fingers.

The cover still looks/functions like normal, at this point, with no recurring issues.

I know that these types of solutions aren't the end all/be all for security ( I use it primarily for weather protection, here in Colorado), and that if someone wants to get into your vehicle, they'll do it. I was just a bit surprised at how easy it was to accomplish. I'll still buy one for future trucks, but I'll be a little more cognizant of what I keep in there.

TLDR - Bakflip MX4 can be manipulated/opened pretty easily, with two people. A heads up, in the event that you have valuables in the back, and weren't aware.
This is pretty much exactly what I expected. I think of it as a theft deterrent but would never leave anything of significant value back there all of the time.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

They will not hold up to a crow bar since it's aluminum with plastic latches. Also, most models can be opened with a wire coat hanger unless you've made a mod to block off access to the rear pull wire from the back. They are primarily to keep honest people honest with weather protection thrown in.

ponypride

Reaction score
It is a theft deterrent but not a solution. Even if it was harder to get into, a thief would use a crowbar, damage the tailgate and get in. If you pay $1,400 and get the one (I forget the brand) that has the lock in the middle that slides a steel rod inder the rails, you will get a much better result.

Users who are viewing this thread