5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad wheel hop

Rant55

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2019 Limited with 3.92 and when I hit the gas hard it hops really bad. Does anyone know of a fix for this.

Thanks

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have E-locker, engage it and turn off traction control and it'll turn em both over. If you have 4x4, put it in 4-Auto and it'll spin a back tire about 1/2 a rev then bite hard with the front axle engaged.

19 streak

Reaction score
That's funny because my 18 wheel hops so bad it feels like it would rip the rear end apart. But my 19 doesn't hop at all

JLUR_

Reaction score
That's funny because my 18 wheel hops so bad it feels like it would rip the rear end apart. But my 19 doesn't hop at all

The first time I read that I interpreted it as you saying that your 18-wheeler wheel hops. I was thinking that was a hell of a comparison to make lol. Had to read it again for it to click in my brain. Not enough coffee this morning I guess...

19 streak

Reaction score
The first time I read that I interpreted it as you saying that your 18-wheeler wheel hops. I was thinking that was a hell of a comparison to make lol. Had to read it again for it to click in my brain. Not enough coffee this morning I guess...

Hahaha sorry about that. But I totally understand how you could interpret that!

Rant55

Reaction score
If you have E-locker, engage it and turn off traction control and it'll turn em both over. If you have 4x4, put it in 4-Auto and it'll spin a back tire about 1/2 a rev then bite hard with the front axle engaged.
Hi, Let me give a little more detail. Say i'm at a stop light when the light turns green and I hit the gas hard it jumps and shakes real bad just for a second or two then The traction control takes over. You cant do it with traction control off or the truck will come apart. Thats how bad it is. I dont think I can keep it in 4x4 mod all the time.

19 streak

Reaction score
Hi, Let me give a little more detail. Say i'm at a stop light when the light turns green and I hit the gas hard it jumps and shakes real bad just for a second or two then The traction control takes over. You cant do it with traction control off or the truck will come apart. Thats how bad it is. I dont think I can keep it in 4x4 mod all the time.
This is exactly how my wife's 18 is. It used to be my truck before buying my 19. Absolutely anytime the truck breaks traction it feels like it's going to blow the rear end to pieces because of how bad it wheel hops. My 19 doesn't do it at all

Rant55

Reaction score
This is exactly how my wife's 18 is. It used to be my truck before buying my 19. Absolutely anytime the truck breaks traction it feels like it's going to blow the rear end to pieces because of how bad it wheel hops. My 19 doesn't do it at all
Thats crazy I wonder if its just the tires?

19 streak

Reaction score
Thats crazy I wonder if its just the tires?
Exactly what I thought. I was fighting a vibration on the highway in the truck to so i bought some cooper zeons for it hoping the vibration and the wicked wheel hop went away but to no luck. I'm thinking it has to do with the rear control arms. It was right around that time that I decided to order my 19 and give the wife the 18. She doesn't do burnouts so it didn't matter anymore lol

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4-Auto can be left on or engaged before a launch. 4-HI and 4-LOW are offroad or ice/snow only due to the front and rear being licked together which puts them in a bind on pavement. 4 Auto uses a clutch to engage the front when the rear spins.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
One of my 6 speed Camaro's used to wheel hop horribly at the track and I attributed it to the tires and stock suspension. A few suspension tweaks and a tire change eliminated the hop.

You must really like to leave stoplights hard, lol. Try a launch in Auto 4wd and see what that does.

Rant55

Reaction score
4-Auto can be left on or engaged before a launch. 4-HI and 4-LOW are offroad or ice/snow only due to the front and rear being licked together which puts them in a bind on pavement. 4 Auto uses a clutch to engage the front when the rear spins.
Yes in 4-auto it is fine. It only does it in a corner or damp out. I just feel it should spin without making you feel like its coming apart.

Rant55

Reaction score
Let me guess, your MPG sucks too, right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes MPG does suck but I don't care about that. I want to do a burnout without needing new teeth. If you don't want to help stay out .

Users who are viewing this thread