5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad head gasket!

Bags@1107

Reaction score
New to the site and a first time Ram owner. Bought a 2019 CPO Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi on March 5. Yesterday I watched it ride away on a flat bed. I had a puddle of coolant in my driveway. My buddy and I suspected a head gasket. Dealer called me today and confirmed it is the head gasket.

He told me he hasn’t seen this yet on these trucks. Especially one that is basically new. They haven’t pulled it apart yet to really know why it happened. They are waiting to hear from Chrysler.

Anyone else gone through this, or can give me any insight? Not a real happy person. Thankfully the truck has the CPO warranty, the balance of the power train warranty and I bought the bumper to bumper extended warranty, so it is covered.

Side note, watched my new truck leave on a flat bed yesterday and watched my old Yukon XL with over 217,000 miles on it drive away with its new owner.

hellmans

Reaction score
coolant tube under intake usually......hoses split....not head gasket

Bags@1107

Reaction score
coolant tube under intake usually......hoses split....not head gasket

Hopefully that is all it is. Dealer did call me yesterday and confirmed head gasket, but have not ripped it apart yet. So maybe it is a coolant tube and they haven’t seen it yet.

All I can do is hope for the best.

hellmans

Reaction score
did 4 or 5 always looked liked headgasket but was always hoses under intake...good luck

Bags@1107

Reaction score
did 4 or 5 always looked liked headgasket but was always hoses under intake...good luck
They were ordering parts today from what I was told Saturday. They still have not taken it apart to really see what is going on. I’m thinking tomorrow I will have a some type of explanation.

Thank you for letting me know about the hoses.

Bags@1107

Reaction score
Update on my truck.
Still at the dealer. Chrysler will not release parts until the dealer pulls the truck apart and they take measurements of the heads and have specific information as to what is wrong with the truck.

Bags@1107

Reaction score
Update,
Yesterday was the 3 week mark without my truck. To put that in perspective, I had it for 12 days before it went back to the dealer. Chrysler looked at it last week and deemed it was only the head gasket and released that parts so my truck could get fixed. The parts arrived this past Tuesday (I got a text notification telling me so). I spoke with the dealer today and they are pressure testing the coolant system today and tomorrow and I should have it back Saturday.

Bags@1107

Reaction score
Got the truck back Saturday finally!!! Seems to be okay as of now. Still smell coolant, but I think it is just burning off whatever got on things durning the repair. I am keeping an eye on the coolant level until the smell goes away.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Got the truck back Saturday finally!!! Seems to be okay as of now. Still smell coolant, but I think it is just burning off whatever got on things durning the repair. I am keeping an eye on the coolant level until the smell goes away.
Glad to hear you have it back and it wasn’t a major repair.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread