5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup camera went blank

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Selecting camera icon just showed a blank screen, as does shifting to reverse.

Disconnected battery for 5 minutes, seemed to fixed the problem. Hopefully it doesn’t reoccur.

Just posting in case it happens to someone else

Sooliman

Reaction score
Selecting camera icon just showed a blank screen, as does shifting to reverse.

Disconnected battery for 5 minutes, seemed to fixed the problem. Hopefully it doesn’t reoccur.

Just posting in case it happens to someone else
Won’t fix the issue, there is both a TSB out there for a software update and, in some cases (like mine), you’ll need a new camera module. It will come back intermittently. New camera module is apparently an update to a flawed run of installed cameras.

LBTRS

Reaction score
Mine did this yesterday. Turning off the truck and restarting brought it back.

RodRow

Reaction score
I’ve had my new Laramie for 4 days and all was well with the backup camera until I drove through the car wash. Blacked out and went to blue screen. I checked all connections I could find and even pulled the access plate from the tailgate, to no avail. Now, after it has dried out for a day, it works again. Not sure if it’s a wiring harness issue or a camera issue. Def doesn’t seem to be software related. :(

RodRow

Reaction score
Well, this morning there was a heavy dew...camera was blue screen again. By this afternoon, once dry, it was working again.

I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. Prepping for the Dealership 2-Step, but hoping for the best.

RodRow

Reaction score
Well, this morning there was a heavy dew...camera was blue screen again. By this afternoon, once dry, it was working again.

I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. Prepping for the Dealership 2-Step, but hoping for the best.
Just as an update, I had to make 2 trips to the dealership before they would agree to replace the camera and the harness. Now that it's replaced, the backup camera has been working perfectly for a few days. I have yet to drive through a carwash, so the jury may still be out on the final status.

One other item of note is that the radio, that was working intermittently, seems to be working all the time now. Not sure how the two were connected, but it seems they were.

Quicker10u

Reaction score
I just had this happen this morning. I turn on my radio and it cuts out every 3 seconds or so. Put the truck in reverse, back up camera BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). It has been raining and misting for the past couple days here in Savannah. Hmmmmm

Sooliman

Reaction score
One month update: After the BSOD, they replaced the camera with the updated module and it’s been flawless since. Software update didn’t fix it.

RodRow

Reaction score
I just had this happen this morning. I turn on my radio and it cuts out every 3 seconds or so. Put the truck in reverse, back up camera BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). It has been raining and misting for the past couple days here in Savannah. Hmmmmm
I think you’ll want to press for the camera module to be replaced. That seems to be the only surefire fix. Mine has had zero issues with the camera or the radio since the replacement of my camera last week, even with rain and high humidity.

awalk

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me today. I've had my Ram just over two weeks and driven about 700 miles. This is unacceptable for a truck that cost over 50K.

They designed an awesome looking truck but I am not feeling a whole lot of confidence in the long term reliability. I guess the honeymoon is over! Get it together FCA, please.

Derwoodjones

Reaction score
I was having camera issues here in Wyoming a few months back, camera would not turn on but only intermittently and only when it was below 0. Took it to the dealer and they flash updated the software and it has worked fine since.

Users who are viewing this thread