5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AWD and Larger Tires

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Just put on a larger tire (285/65r20). Have searched all over this forum and swear I read it on here somewhere! That the AWD function should not be used when larger tires are added.

Is this true??? I live in CO and AWD is a super nice feature to have for snowy road days.

Just looking for some guidance.

Thx!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I saw someone post a screenshot from the manual stating that, but all I can find in the manual is that tires must be equal size. Nothing about larger tires overall. It shouldn't make a difference as long as all 4 tires are the same.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe the clutches in the 4x4 are not the same as a true 4x4 with gears, and possibly the extra weight of the bigger tires would cause more stress on the clutches? Completely guessing here, and have no idea whether it would be true.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the clutches in the 4x4 are not the same as a true 4x4 with gears, and possibly the extra weight of the bigger tires would cause more stress on the clutches? Completely guessing here, and have no idea whether it would be true.

That's true, that's why if you go with 37" tires always good to with bigger gear, but Op talking about he hear peoples said not to use AWD function(may be he mean 4x4).

To Op: to certain degree, it is true but does matter is 2WD or 4WD.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There might be an issue of the speedometer being off and relating to stability control/traction control. As long as you correct for that the vehicle won't care what size the tires are

Users who are viewing this thread