5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Climate Control Fan Speed - Not accounting for engine temp

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I recalled seeing this on here a while back and now I can't find it.

Winter temps finally arrived in my area. Jumped in the truck today - had it set to 72/auto. Fan was blowing full blast, cold air at me. All other vehicles with auto climate control have ran the fan on low until the engines warmed up enough to let it spit out hot air and then sped up the fan.

Has anyone else experienced this?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, full blast until I open the drivers door... then the fan speed drops a bit... but it gets warm quick.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep same thing here, they should actually by diverting the air to the top vents and on low. They need some work on the programming

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, and while I'm a big fan of fan speed in the summer, I'm a bit shocked at how fast fan speed 1 (lowest) is. Until it warms up, that's a lot of chilly air coming at you.

Wish there was more spread between slowest and fastest speeds.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, full blast until I open the drivers door... then the fan speed drops a bit... but it gets warm quick.

Mine is full blast on both remote start and regular start. On my F150 it ran full blast on remote start but once I got in, slowed down until it warmed up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is full blast on both remote start and regular start. On my F150 it ran full blast on remote start but once I got in, slowed down until it warmed up.
That kind of intelligence makes sense...and should be totally programmable. It’s inexcusable to have it take several minutes for the system to react (at all) to ambient conditions.

RBRK

Reaction score
Whoever programmed the HVAC screwed up. The thing is a mess. I’ve never had a vehicle with so many missed screw ups etc. I always buy first year stuff and this one by far has more weird stuff than any others.

The 4th gen never blew until it got,a,little warm at least.

Maybe someday they will get around to fixing it.

Oh ya I need a windshield too. Quit hoarding all the parts for new builds FCA!

Ram Cares ? Just for sales obviously. After the sale, not so much.

Last edited:

fact mechanic

Reaction score
I thought I recalled seeing this on here a while back and now I can't find it.

Winter temps finally arrived in my area. Jumped in the truck today - had it set to 72/auto. Fan was blowing full blast, cold air at me. All other vehicles with auto climate control have ran the fan on low until the engines warmed up enough to let it spit out hot air and then sped up the fan.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes. It’s cold.

silverbullet

Reaction score
Anyone else still having this issue? Know of a fix? It's annoying and yes if you turn the fan speed down manually that does the trick but what's the point of "Auto" if it needs so much damn attention, haha.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the November Uconnect update, the HVAC logic was updated to run on full blast when remote started, and then when the driver completes takeover (pushes the start button), the HVAC fan will activate the comfort feature. This prevents a long cabin warmup time, but also allows the driver to not be blasted when they get into the truck. The comfort feature is now also active during every normal start (not using remote start).

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the November Uconnect update, the HVAC logic was updated to run on full blast when remote started, and then when the driver completes takeover (pushes the start button), the HVAC fan will activate the comfort feature. This prevents a long cabin warmup time, but also allows the driver to not be blasted when they get into the truck. The comfort feature is now also active during every normal start (not using remote start).

Was this for the 8.4" display as well?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was this for the 8.4" display as well?

Not sure if the update came out at the same time, but I imagine the logic should be the same. I specifically remember noticing the difference in mine immediately, because, like a lot of others here, it bugged the crap out of me when it blew cold air for 15 mins for no reason. My 2001 (18 years older!) Audi had the comfort feature and was smart enough to not blast you with cold air.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if the update came out at the same time, but I imagine the logic should be the same. I specifically remember noticing the difference in mine immediately, because, like a lot of others here, it bugged the crap out of me when it blew cold air for 15 mins for no reason. My 2001 (18 years older!) Audi had the comfort feature and was smart enough to not blast you with cold air.

Last I checked my uconnect was up to date...is it a box you have to check? An option to have it on or off? This bugs the crap out of me as well...never an issue with my F150.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last I checked my uconnect was up to date...is it a box you have to check? An option to have it on or off? This bugs the crap out of me as well...never an issue with my F150.

It was the last (and only as far as I know) Uconnect over the air update that my truck received. Pretty sure it was November time frame. You can always enter your vin in the Uconnect Update website to see if there's anything you haven't had updated. (Not that the Uconnect site is very good though....)

Just a little note for everyone, it's important that you MUST be using the auto setting (I'm hoping this is obvious). Using the defrost, mix, or custom fan speed overrides this feature. When its super cold but I want my defrost on, I get in the truck and push the front defrost button and then push the auto again, it sets the system to auto defrost instead of the regular blast your face off defrost.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was the last (and only as far as I know) Uconnect over the air update that my truck received. Pretty sure it was November time frame. You can always enter your vin in the Uconnect Update website to see if there's anything you haven't had updated. (Not that the Uconnect site is very good though....)

Just a little note for everyone, it's important that you MUST be using the auto setting (I'm hoping this is obvious). Using the defrost, mix, or custom fan speed overrides this feature. When its super cold but I want my defrost on, I get in the truck and push the front defrost button and then push the auto again, it sets the system to auto defrost instead of the regular blast your face off defrost.

Has to be an update for just the 12" screen. Mine has never updated and last I knew it was up to date - confirmed on the website just now.

I'm waiting to hear back from others if the HVAC recall/flash fixes it.

silverbullet

Reaction score
I don't have nav on my 8.4 so I don't think it can even get OTA updates. I'll have to mention an update to the dealer on my 1,234,568,699 trip to the service department. As much as I hate to admit my mistakes buying a very early build truck from FCA was not a good idea at all. I knew I'd have to deal with some stuff but the patience wears thin after a dozen trips. Some of it is out of their control but wow did the law of averages screw me on this one...

Boozygoose

Reaction score
Has to be an update for just the 12" screen. Mine has never updated and last I knew it was up to date - confirmed on the website just now.

I'm waiting to hear back from others if the HVAC recall/flash fixes it.

I have a 12" screen, late October build and Uconnect reads up to date and while I live in Florida so it isn't the end of the world, that cold blast still happens. Hasn't changed for me. It's not crazy cold here but 60 degree morning with cold air blasting out of the vents? It is definitely odd. I realize I could just turn it off, adjust or remote start but first vehicle I have ever owned with "auto" that technically means I have to "automatically" remember to turn it off when I hop in the truck until it is warmed up.

Users who are viewing this thread