5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto AC setting Hurricane force blower

reb0957

Reaction score
Anyone else have their AC blow at MAX for an extended period of time startly after starting the truck. It is like a hurricane. It goes on from 5 to 10 minutes. I park in a concrete parking lot. I notice it stays in this mode until the OAT sensor reads below 85*. I think this reading is the biggest issue.
Thoughts or advice needed!
TIA!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's going to have a higher fan setting depending on the difference between cab temp and set temp. If cab temp is 90 and you set it to 65 it's going to work like crazy to bring the temp down quickly. If cab temp is 72 and set temp is 70 it doesn't have to work as much. The difference is going to be largest right after you get in the truck.

reb0957

Reaction score
It's going to have a higher fan setting depending on the difference between cab temp and set temp. If cab temp is 90 and you set it to 65 it's going to work like crazy to bring the temp down quickly. If cab temp is 72 and set temp is 70 it doesn't have to work as much. The difference is going to be largest right after you get in the truck.
Regardless of cab temp. I notice it is related more to the OAT.
I can be freezing inside and it is still wide open. This is one of only 3 true complaints I have about my truck.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed this as well. On three different 5th gens. My Laramie, my girlfriend's Limited, and my daughter's Rebel. It's just so much louder than the fan on my 2017 Rebel ever was. Not enough of an issue to take it in, just something I noticed.

Tombo65

Reaction score
My auto setting does the same thing and blows for a while, til me or the wife get froze out and turn it down. Her Jeep does not do the same thing it will actually turn the blower down as it cools off.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it hurricane force, but the blower does push more air than any other vehicle I've owned during normal operation, to the point it's usually borderline uncomfortable and I end up wanting to turn off Auto and set my own fan speed... annoying and shouldn't have to do this though. Bosch sells HEPA rated cabin air filters which consequently reduce airflow a bit. I've used them before and they work really well at filtering outside garbage, even smells, much better than a regular filter - seems like a decent solution? They list part 6090C for our trucks, but I can't find it anywhere to buy.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noticed this also...only thing to fix it is to turn the auto button off then back on or manually set the blower.

reb0957

Reaction score
In my case, my kids closed the back vents. This helped a lot but man it is still uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread