5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio/Upgrade Questions

judsonlimited

Reaction score
A few questions about my new ram. I have the basic six (or 7?) speaker audio system on my lonestar. The salesman said there was a speaker in the center of the dash? But i read other places there is not.. what gives?
If there is not, can i add a speaker there plug and play?
Also, with regards to any upgrades, i'm fairly satisfied with the system in it already i think it is pretty good for a base system. Sadly far superior to my factory bose that was in my chevy, sucks for chevy. But what would be some good upgrade speakers for this truck, i'm just looking for a bit more clarity and bass.

Also, is there anyway to turn down how loud the phone rings when its connected to bluetooth. I nearly **** myself the other day when i got a call in the truck it was so loud.

thanks in advance.

R

Rob5589

There are a couple of huge threads on this very topic floating around that should answer all your questions.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Replacing your dash speakers ($30-$40) will offer you the best bang for your buck you can spend. The door speakers really aren't that bad, but some new quality dash speakers will wake your stereo up.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just like the first two posts state, lots of info on this depending on how deep you want to get. I suggest taking it in stages. First change the dash speakers. You only have two in the base system, not three, center grill is empty. You can’t add a speaker there, technically you can but not easily and not worth it. This upgrade is cheap and takes only minutes. Next would be to do the doors if the dash isn’t enough. Hardest thing is pulling the door panels since the clips are tight. Start from the bottom, get leverage, pull hard. Once you change the door speakers you may or may not have anc issues. If you do you will have to disconnect the anc by unpinning the mics or purchasing a bypass harness OR messing with the speaker polarity. This will clean up your sound a lot. Just changing the dash speakers will help a lot which is why I would start there. Unfortunately if you’re unhappy with the bass now you will be even more unhappy once you change the dash speakers because it adds clarity and brightness. You will have to adjust the eq and bring the bass up to at least +7. If that still doesn’t do it for you, you can add a sub. Bottom line, def upgrade your dash

Here’s a couple of threads for you. First one is huge. It started right when these trucks came out and nobody knew much. It also combines all models, base, alpine and HK which all have different systems and makes the thread a bit confusing in addition to being long. Second one is an easier read and for the base system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few questions about my new ram. I have the basic six (or 7?) speaker audio system on my lonestar. The salesman said there was a speaker in the center of the dash? But i read other places there is not.. what gives?
If there is not, can i add a speaker there plug and play?
Also, with regards to any upgrades, i'm fairly satisfied with the system in it already i think it is pretty good for a base system. Sadly far superior to my factory bose that was in my chevy, sucks for chevy. But what would be some good upgrade speakers for this truck, i'm just looking for a bit more clarity and bass.

Also, is there anyway to turn down how loud the phone rings when its connected to bluetooth. I nearly **** myself the other day when i got a call in the truck it was so loud.

thanks in advance.

I have the basic 6-Speaker setup and recently swapped out the speakers in my truck. There isn't a third speaker on the dash with this setup.

From a clarity, front-to-back imaging and sound stage, these areas were all improved over stock. I put 2 and 3-way speakers in the doors (front/rear respectively) and generally better 3.5s in the dash. However, I did mess up and ordered speakers for the doors that are practically double the resistance. They were advertised at 3 Ohms, while the packaging indicated 4 total, but I haven't noticed a drastic loss in volume or bass. I do still have a Sub to install.

I had an OCD moment, so all the speakers I swapped in are Infinity Reference models, but there is a lot of good information in some of the stereo upgrade threads. I've attached pics of the ones I used below (just the boxes and original factory speakers I removed)...Sorry, I didn't take any pics through the process.

Attachments

• IMG_20190929_155504463_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190929_155504463_HDR.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20190929_155318958_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190929_155318958_HDR.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190929_155243268_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190929_155243268_HDR.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20190929_155351883_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190929_155351883_HDR.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 82

steveBkillin304

Reaction score
I bought an Alpine PSW-S8 and I’m trying to install tomorrow. Can some one help me with the LINE OUTPUT CONVERTER and which speaker/speakers to hook it up to?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I bought an Alpine PSW-S8 and I’m trying to install tomorrow. Can some one help me with the LINE OUTPUT CONVERTER and which speaker/speakers to hook it up to?

Do you mean the alpine pwe-s8 sub woofer? If so it looks like it accepts high level inputs so not sure you will need a loc for that? You can probably just tap into the speaker wires. What Loc are you using?

steveBkillin304

Reaction score
i haven’t purchase one yet. It has a plug with [ground-power-remote-left and right speaker] I didn’t know if I needed that. Would I just connect to the speaker or speakers in the back doors??? 4 door big horn

Patsy1099

Reaction score
i haven’t purchase one yet. It has a plug with [ground-power-remote-left and right speaker] I didn’t know if I needed that. Would I just connect to the speaker or speakers in the back doors??? 4 door big horn

You shouldn’t need a LOC. Just a few wire taps and to tap into the left speakers and right speakers with the harness that comes with that alpine self powered sub.@lrobbi did something similar with the cerwin Vega.You will need to tap the left speakers on the drivers side near you left foot and the passengers side near your right foot OR you can grab them at the anc under the drivers seat. Here are the pics from lrobbi showing the wires you need to tap on the drivers and passenger side.

Attachments

• CCE725F1-9223-4B61-A714-7EC9194FACC8.jpeg
    CCE725F1-9223-4B61-A714-7EC9194FACC8.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 67
  • F46F72B6-8D3A-49B1-8E17-B2C5A560E7F8.jpeg
    F46F72B6-8D3A-49B1-8E17-B2C5A560E7F8.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/