5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT tires for winter and towing

runmocs

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum. I traded my Nissan Titan last week for a 21 1500 EcoDiesel with the 3.92 because I tow a 6k pound trailer about 20k miles a year, and my mpgs towing with my Titan were awful. A lot of my towing is in the winter in the mountains of CO and includes forest roads, etc. for dispersed camping in the summer.

My Ram is the North edition so it came with Falken AT3WAs, but I actually thought when I ordered the truck that they were the AT3Ws. I had great luck towing in the winter with AT3Ws, but these are very different tires. Not to mention, the trailer I pulled then was about half the weight of my current trailer.

My first question is what do you guys think of the ATWAs for towing and winter driving? I’m considering new tires, but the frugal side of me is struggling to ditch new and decent tires. Ultimately, the performance towing in winter is most important though. If I upgrade, I will likely pick up some rebel wheels and go up a tire size to 275 70 r18s. In this case, I’m torn between the Falken AT3Ws and BFG KO2s. Any thoughts on these or any other contenders for my needs?

Last edited:

troymi

Reaction score
If you find a set of Rebel wheels you may as well consider the Rebel tires on them also. The GoodYear Duratracs performed great on the Rebel I had before the diesel I have now. Towing and winter use in Michigan. There seem to be a lot of Rebels changing so you should get a good deal.

But I do have KO2s again now and they are pretty much the best in my opinion.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I've had very good luck with my A3TWAs both towing and in the snow (although I have not tried towing in the snow). Almost all user reports I've read state that these are very good tires, maybe not as aggressive or robust as the A3TW, but one of the better OEM tires out there. I'd definitely give them a try first and see whether or not they meet your needs. Mine have 19,000 miles on them and hardly show any wear (I have a 2020 EcoDiesel ORG). They are quiet, smooth, and provide good traction in the snow and rain. I air them up to 40 PSI when towing our 6500 lb travel trailer and have no stability issues. When they finally wear out (at this rate that may be a while) I may actually consider getting another set of A3TWAs, that is how impressed I am with them.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve done lots of towing in the snow with the stock duratracs on my rebel and have had no issues. Lots of grip and power.

runmocs

Reaction score
I’ve done lots of towing in the snow with the stock duratracs on my rebel and have had no issues. Lots of grip and power.
Thanks for the info. I’ve decided to go ahead and go up a size. Sascwatch - any idea how many miles you think you’ll get out of the Duratracs? I think I’m leaning toward them for snow performance, but my hesitation is longevity with towing.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am at 30k km now and have tons of tread left, I figure if I get 60k on them I’ll be happy.

I have rotated my tires 4 times so far, and run them at 52psi front and 42psi rear unless I’m towing then I air them up to the recommended 55/45.

Users who are viewing this thread