5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARG, I am in a love-hate relationship with the DMV

flyingron

Reaction score
Traded in my old truck right before Christmas for a new RAM. They moved the plates over. On January 8, 2020, I get a new registration card reflecting that change. I didn't even look at it, I just threw it in the glove box. Last week a guy points out my plates are expired. Gee, did I forget to put the sticker on. Nope, the registration was issued on Jan 8, but it was only good until January 31. Turns out that's when the Toyota would have expired. They didn't renew the plate in the process, just switched it.

Great, registration renewal is an easy online thing here. Just go to the website and do it. Except, it won't work (I guess if you're two months late they kick it out). It says to call. Of course, they say "We have an unusual call volume. We can't give you personal service. Go to the website." Go to the website and leave a message asking what to do (which they still haven't answered).

Fine, guess I'll be stuck with the plate agency (in NC these are usually hell holes, why they're not part of the normal DMV I have no idea). Check online to make sure they are open. The one in the town to the north has reduced hours due to the virus, but the one near the Costco will be open at the normal time. Fine... go there and then see if I can score some toilet paper at Costco. Get to the office to fine a dozen people waiting around. They've cut the hours back and won't open until 10 (55 minutes later). Screw it, went to Costco and did get toilet paper.

Bring home all the stuff from Costco and the grocery store and head out to a different plate agency (it's actually a bit closer but not on the way anywhere). The line is out the door but I've got nothing better to do. Everybody is standing six feet apart and I've got my mask on anyhow. Well, the line is moving fast as every time someone leaves the agency someone goes in. When I finally get to the door, I realize the line inside is only three or four deep because of the 6' spacing. I'm about two from the head of the line when a clerk yells out "Anybody here for just tag renewals." Nobody in front of me seems interested so I wave my hand and am called up to the window. (Some guy makes a snide comment about if you're wearing a mask you get to go to the head of the line.) The woman at the desk is actually running two windows (which is efficient because she can multitask stuff on two terminals doubling the throughput). She scans the bar code on my expired registration and takes my credit card. I pay the normal fees (registration fee plus they collect the property tax) plus a late fee (not sure if it's because the tax is late or the registration is of $20) and interest on the late taxes. I'm out of there in short order.

No, question, just wanted to rant a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread