5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the 2019 Ram production doom and gloom articles accurate?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
MG_0017.jpg

2019 Ram 1500's outside SHAPS bedliner plant (Real Fast Fotography)

Or should we look at the facts and take them with a grain of salt?

Yesterday, Automotive news released an article titled 2019 Ram Launch slows to a trickle. In the article it is said that the V6 Pentastar with eTorque and the 5.7 Hemi V8 with eTorque have not yet been approved by the EPA. This article has since spread around to many automotive sites putting their own take on it, in some cases resulting in articles not even resembling the original context. Lets break it down and look at the facts.

1) The original article names no sources as to the information about the eTorque EPA approval being delayed. (5thGenRams has reached out to FCA for comment)

2) We never had an on sale date for the eTorque equipped engines in the first place. You can’t be late to a party you never scheduled and while we have speculated the eTorque equipped trucks would begin production this summer, that is based on information from some of our sources and should not be confused with being a start date given by FCA. All that has been said by Ram about eTorque availability since launch is later this year.

3) The headline is sensationalistic. Saying the launch slows to a trickle is very misleading. Production of non eTorque equipped trucks is continuing as planned.

It is known that initially production of the 2019 Ram 1500 wasn’t going as planned as the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant was having a hard time hitting ramp up targets after switching from building unibody Chrysler 200 sedans to the body on frame Ram 1500. Our sources tell us that production has been increasing although they are still in ramp up mode. We do currently have some forum members that are hitting the 45 day mark without their trucks being built yet which is unfortunate but not that unheard of for any new pickup launch.

Here is why I’m not concerned. This is all fairly standard for a full sized pickup truck launch, It goes the same way for Ford and GM as well. While pickup trucks are by nature a very basic vehicle, the amount of configurations (cab size, wheelbase, frame length), powertrains and option spread available on them make them very complex vehicles to build. It is very common for a manufacturer to restrict certain trim levels, body configurations and powertrains during production ramp up. This article published on the Motley Fool back in February of this year explains how the 2019 GM truck launch will cost General Motors roughly 60,000 units of production this year. While that does include them shutting down production on an existing plant to convert into building the 2019 GM trucks, some of that production will also be lost during initial ramp up. The same article also talks about how it took Fords factories several months to get into the swing of building the 2015 F150 and that for months dealer inventories of the new F150 were at about half of what Ford wanted them to be. Gm also went through a similar thing during the 2014 Silverado/Sierra launch.

While it is frustrating for customers waiting for their new trucks, there is nothing out of the ordinary going on here as far as I’m concerned. All these “production issue” articles serve to do is cause panic and confuse the consumer. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the same sort of articles again later this year as 2019 Sierra/Silverado production ramps up.

Kramersp

Reaction score
MG_0017.jpg

2019 Ram 1500's outside SHAPS bedliner plant (Real Fast Fotography)

Or should we look at the facts and take them with a grain of salt?

Yesterday, Automotive news released an article titled 2019 Ram Launch slows to a trickle. In the article it is said that the V6 Pentastar with eTorque and the 5.7 Hemi V8 with eTorque have not yet been approved by the EPA. This article has since spread around to many automotive sites putting their own take on it, in some cases resulting in articles not even resembling the original context. Lets break it down and look at the facts.

1) The original article names no sources as to the information about the eTorque EPA approval being delayed. (5thGenRams has reached out to FCA for comment)

2) We never had an on sale date for the eTorque equipped engines in the first place. You can’t be late to a party you never scheduled and while we have speculated the eTorque equipped trucks would begin production this summer, that is based on information from some of our sources and should not be confused with being a start date given by FCA. All that has been said by Ram about eTorque availability since launch is later this year.

3) The headline is sensationalistic. Saying the launch slows to a trickle is very misleading. Production of non eTorque equipped trucks is continuing as planned.

It is known that initially production of the 2019 Ram 1500 wasn’t going as planned as the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant was having a hard time hitting ramp up targets after switching from building unibody Chrysler 200 sedans to the body on frame Ram 1500. Our sources tell us that production has been increasing although they are still in ramp up mode. We do currently have some forum members that are hitting the 45 day mark without their trucks being built yet which is unfortunate but not that unheard of for any new pickup launch.

Here is why I’m not concerned. This is all fairly standard for a full sized pickup truck launch, It goes the same way for Ford and GM as well. While pickup trucks are by nature a very basic vehicle, the amount of configurations (cab size, wheelbase, frame length), powertrains and option spread available on them make them very complex vehicles to build. It is very common for a manufacturer to restrict certain trim levels, body configurations and powertrains during production ramp up. This article published on the Motley Fool back in February of this year explains how the 2019 GM truck launch will cost General Motors roughly 60,000 units of production this year. While that does include them shutting down production on an existing plant to convert into building the 2019 GM trucks, some of that production will also be lost during initial ramp up. The same article also talks about how it took Fords factories several months to get into the swing of building the 2015 F150 and that for months dealer inventories of the new F150 were at about half of what Ford wanted them to be. Gm also went through a similar thing during the 2014 Silverado/Sierra launch.

While it is frustrating for customers waiting for their new trucks, there is nothing out of the ordinary going on here as far as I’m concerned. All these “production issue” articles serve to do is cause panic and confuse the consumer. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the same sort of articles again later this year as 2019 Sierra/Silverado production ramps up.
1) FCA (IF they comment) will most likely provide a fluffy B/S canned response that doesn't answer anything.

2) Don't brag up your feature powertrain technology, offer it for order, and still not have it ready. That's sloppy and stupid.

3) The launch is still WAY behind schedule and has been a money pit for FCA to fix.

4) Ford when they advertised EcoBoost engines, you could buy one off the lot at launch. When ford started pumping out aluminum trucks, you could buy one off the lot. When GM starts putting out their 2019 trucks, you'll be able to buy a engine with their new MDS technology off the lot. FCA bragged up the e torque, launched their 5th gen truck with a 4th gen engine, released e torque for order at the end of April/ early May, and still do not have EPA certification. Call a spade a spade. This launch is a mess and they need to fix themselves. Sloppy. Just sloppy. And the QC issues coming off the line with such a small number of trucks on the road is concerning. I still haven't personally seen a 2019 on the road. I have been in San Diego for a week and a half and I live in Maryland. Let's just be honest with all of this.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Good post and you bring up some valid points. Overall, I agree. Going to have issues with initial launch. That is why they say never buy the first year of a new model. My Issues are as follows:

1. If eTorque is not ready don’t put it on order forms.
  2. If you are having some delay issues then provide world class service and communicate better.
  3. Not impressed with @RamCares and have not seen them answer any of the questions we have had after a big introduction and yes we are excited to be here. I’m not following every thread but enough to see lack of responses.
  4. I understand 2019 models usually don’t hit dealer lots until end of year but when you start producing early in the year gotta be ready to deliver. State that eTorque and Ramboxes will be available September or whenever they will be.
  5. I’m a big customer service guy, over communicate when things are going bad and I will be more forgiving.
Let’s get these trucks rolling.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
And where do they state any type of source at all the the eTorque trucks aren't certified? People are jumping the gun here a bit is all I'm saying.

Is the launch perfect? Nope, I agree 100%. It would be nice if FCA would state a date that the eTorque engines would be available and I think that would alleviate a lot of peoples concerns. The lack of communication on this makes it a bigger problem than it needs to be.

As far as announcing the eTorque when the truck launched it makes sense for them to or else everyone would be ripping them a new one for only having dated powertrains, the side effect of that is now biting them in the ***. I don't have a link to this as I forgot where I read it but I was just reading the other day about Ford making a big deal about the ecoboost back in 2011 and all that was available for months was the 5.0 GM hasn't launched their trucks yet so it's a little early to say they will be available with their new MDS technology right off the bat, even so thats fine they never perfected their old AFM technology either.

The QC issues we have seen so far do concern me as well and I hope they get that under control and fast and I agree it would be nice to see @RamCares step in a bit more, although I'm sure they monitor a ton of forums.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And where do they state any type of source at all the the eTorque trucks aren't certified? People are jumping the gun here a bit is all I'm saying.

Is the launch perfect? Nope, I agree 100%. It would be nice if FCA would state a date that the eTorque engines would be available and I think that would alleviate a lot of peoples concerns. The lack of communication on this makes it a bigger problem than it needs to be.

As far as announcing the eTorque when the truck launched it makes sense for them to or else everyone would be ripping them a new one for only having dated powertrains, the side effect of that is now biting them in the ***. I don't have a link to this as I forgot where I read it but I was just reading the other day about Ford making a big deal about the ecoboost back in 2011 and all that was available for months was the 5.0 GM hasn't launched their trucks yet so it's a little early to say they will be available with their new MDS technology right off the bat, even so thats fine they never perfected their old AFM technology either.

The QC issues we have seen so far do concern me as well and I hope they get that under control and fast and I agree it would be nice to see @RamCares step in a bit more, although I'm sure they monitor a ton of forums.

QC issues?

Kramersp

Reaction score

2011 the 5.0L was a new powertrain option as well as the EcoBoost motors. Another issue is pointing at other companies as an excuse for FCA totally screwing this up. Its unacceptable. I do agree communication would make it a little better.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I tell ya. The day Honda makes a true body on frame, TT V6 or V8 powered 1/2 ton truck, I'm trading whatever I have and I'm buying one.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
2011 the 5.0L was a new powertrain option as well as the EcoBoost motors. Another issue is pointing at other companies as an excuse for FCA totally screwing this up. Its unacceptable. I do agree communication would make it a little better.

I don't remember the 2011 F150 launch but what I'm saying is I remember someone saying that for months you couldn't find an ecoboost F150 on lots, only 5.0s. Whether thats true or not I can't say. And whos using other companies as an excuse for FCA screwing anything up?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And it begins...:mad:

Ram said all of this was late availability, and you can preorder movie tickets now before the movie even gets to theaters. This is the world we live in. Give me now and watch me complain.

I have no idea who is right, I am no insider. But @Jared B article sits alot better with me than all than the other let's make a story out of comments of frustration.

There are plenty of Rams on the lot. The etorque is late availability and so are RamBox...none on the lots yet cause they are not available.

@2019REBEL and @LOU.2 have said this from the beging, as they both want eTorque V6s that they are just waiting. Because they are late availability.

Just wait til the HD and Wagoneer twins and BOF Durango start. People are really waiting for them...and they want them now.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was posted on this forum earlier this year by Jared....

Jan 21, 2018

5thGenRams has learned that 2019 Ram 1500 production started 2 weeks ago which means SHAP is in full swing building Rams for consumer consumption. Expect 2019 Ram 1500’s to start showing up on lots around the end of the first quarter of this year.

So It looks like they started producing the 2019 model in early January of this year right?

This is a quote from the Auto News article yesterday.....

"Nearly five months after the start of production of the 2019 Ram 1500 — known as the DT — the only models EPA-certified for sale are two- and four-wheel-drive versions equipped with the standard 5.7-liter Hemi V-8.

"Nearly five months' puts that around Late April or early May in my estimation. We are now in mid June.

E-Torque ordering was opened up around that time. In my opinion this article is talking about a PAST event not a CURRENT event.

People with E-Torque orders are now hitting D1 which means all of the parts needed to make the vehicle are now in place.

Keep the faith!

:cool:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks @Slim for pointing out something that makes sense. These articles do this all the time. Slow news right now, and people love a conspiracy.

Late availability on a 2019 in 2018, what exactly that means no one knows...but I wouldn't get to antsy til 2019 and here we are :eek:

Kramersp

Reaction score
Lol. The article says what it says. And the proof is in the pudding. Want clarification? Ask FCA. Oh wait, you can probably go ask your garage door and get the same response FCA is going to give you. Yes, FCA has been producing 5th gen Ram 1500 with the iron block port injected dinosaur under the hood. Their touted new technology isnt available. Yes, it was advertised as late availability. My problem is that they released the 5.7L e torque for order, put orders in D, D1 blah blah blah and gave B/S ship date estimates and now things are stuck or regressed. What is happening right now shows the article to be at least mostly accurate.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Believe what you want to believe. eTorque ordering has been open for what a month now? And who's truck has moved beyond D or D1 in less than 30 days of ordering other than @BZ23 truck which was a special case.

I responded to articles written based on speculation with an article based on facts with links to back them up, if you want to get your back up about it that's up to you but I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Does it suck that they aren't on lots or in customer hands yet? Yes, is the sky falling, no.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol. The article says what it says. And the proof is in the pudding. Want clarification? Ask FCA. Oh wait, you can probably go ask your garage door and get the same response FCA is going to give you. Yes, FCA has been producing 5th gen Ram 1500 with the iron block port injected dinosaur under the hood. Their touted new technology isnt available. Yes, it was advertised as late availability. My problem is that they released the 5.7L e torque for order, put orders in D, D1 blah blah blah and gave B/S ship date estimates and now things are stuck or regressed. What is happening right now shows the article to be at least mostly accurate.

Kramersp....eat a snickers. lol It's gonna be ok! Owner of a limited 1 week in and....absolutely love it. There's no conspiracy theory....just a company run by humans, making perhaps some human errors.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Believe what you want to believe. eTorque ordering has been open for what a month now? And who's truck has moved beyond D or D1 in less than 30 days of ordering other than @BZ23 truck which was a special case.

I responded to articles written based on speculation with an article based on facts with links to back them up, if you want to get your back up about it that's up to you but I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Does it suck that they aren't on lots or in customer hands yet? Yes, is the sky falling, no.
My e torque/ rambox limited ordered may 7th went from D to D1 then to C and now back to D. So my order did it. And all the B/S estimated ship dates. Realize that I'm pretty neutral and wont make excuses for ANY company. I really want the truck I ordered but if this is anyone's idea of acceptable business practice it lows my mind.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Jared and others have done a great job of providing information and specifying them as facts or rumors until proven otherwise. Can't say the same thing about other automotive publications, unfortunately. They are trying to get traffic to their sites when news is slow.

What response does FCA owe to anyone? Some of you guys are coming across as crybabies to be honest. Not a customer i'd want. You made the choice to order as soon as you possibly could. Just relax, but that's easy for me to say, i guess....

Would it be nice if FCA came out and gave an explanation or better dates? Sure.
Will that magically make them produce trucks faster? No.
Do they need to respond to a complete speculation article that provides no sources and no verified facts? Heck no. If they did it would actually make them look worse in my opinion.

If it is, in fact, EPA holding up everything (possibly a "don't cross us" warning back at FCA for the ecodiesel thing?), then your frustrations should be with the EPA. FCA can't come out and say "EPA is holding everything up" as it'll just sound like they're making excuses.

This is exactly why they don't provide dates, by the way. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My e torque/ rambox limited ordered may 7th went from D to D1 then to C and now back to D. So my order did it. And all the B/S estimated ship dates. Realize that I'm pretty neutral and wont make excuses for ANY company. I really want the truck I ordered but if this is anyone's idea of acceptable business practice it lows my mind.

Trust me I totally understand your frustrations, I would be frustrated too if I was in your position as patience is not one of my virtues.

That said it also doesn't make the other articles true, let me do my thing and try to get some clarification on the issue. I am also brand neutral for the most part (aside from a couple brands I can't stand) and have no problem calling a spade a spade, I just don't think we are there just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread