5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple CarPlay

ryelinek

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with this? It worked for me this morning and when I got back in my truck nothing.

The USB is still charging the phone but no data is being transferred. Anyone have this happen and have a fix perhaps?

ryelinek

Reaction score
I reset my phone and got a different cable from in the house and suddenly it wants to work again.

Who knows. Long as it’s working I suppose.

marcd118

Reaction score
I got an Apple USB-C cord and it works perfect now.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
My usb C works great and my phone is charged all the time and no problems so far, 2000 miles.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't used CarPlay yet....I just use bluetooth for pandora/spotify. What are you guys liking about CarPlay? Wondering if I should start using it. Cheers!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't used CarPlay yet....I just use bluetooth for pandora/spotify. What are you guys liking about CarPlay? Wondering if I should start using it. Cheers!
If you have an iPhone it is great, try it out by plugging in to the front usb and turning it on in your iPhone settings. UConnect has many of the same features when decked out, but Carplay provides a very clean looking iPhone-like screen with apps you can switch between... An additional benefit is that all the software including Apple Maps continues to get updated because it is on your phone instead of in the car. No more paid annual updates to the map database guys.

95% of the time it is on Apple Maps for me - excellent nav system, very smart about routing and traffic. I prefer it over UConnect’s map system, which has recommended worse routes on more than one occasion. Newer UConnect may be better now but I still prefer Apple Maps. It also has music options and apps for podcasts, audiobooks. No video because well watching tv while driving is bad for your health.

I have it in another car and experienced hiccups at first like the others. Unplug and plug fixes 99% of problems, sometimes new cable required if it is old. I am a big fan, so did not even order Nav with my UConnect, saved a grand in beer (accessories) money.

GM convert

Reaction score
I recommend Waze for navigation. It gives you alerts for hazards and cops.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Waze is a great nav app especially for bad traffic areas, but I heard you have to wait for iOS 12 before it will run on the screen through Carplay. No?

GM convert

Reaction score
Waze is a great nav app especially for bad traffic areas, but I heard you have to wait for iOS 12 before it will run on the screen through Carplay. No?

Correct. I have Waze on phone Bluetooth to truck for voice warning. I use truck nav for map and direction.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
iOS 12 is out in beta 3, I heard that beta is publicly available. And no, I am not going to load it

WRH

Reaction score

The iPhone upgrade coming in Sept (or now if you are beta) will have WAZE as an app option so it will show up on your console!!!! WOOOHOOO! Waited so long for this!

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The beta so far is not allowing third party navigation apps. I know because I loaded it just so I can use google maps.. but no dice so far. Probably beta 4 or actual release

Reactions: WRH

habfan

Reaction score
Here’s a noob question , do you need uconnect with nav to get apple CarPlay or android auto? Just wondering why people get the nav option if you can use carplay and nav from the phone

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The nav system does not need cell service to navigate, most phone applications do

habfan

Reaction score
The nav system does not need cell service to navigate, most phone applications do
True,didn’t think about that, but now I can just download the maps for my app and use it offline it’s a little more work, but it’s probably something that I would use after the nav subscription ended.. does uconnect without nav work with CarPlay ?

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure, couple of things in play. This is the first time the 1500 supports car play, so I am not sure what actually is supported. Also not every app on the Apple will be available via car play. The new iOS due out in September is supposed to include some third party navigation apps, but not at the moment. If you are thinking everything on your phone will mirror on the truck display, you will be disappointed. I can’t, at the moment confirm what actually is currently supported as my truck has not been built yet. Perhaps someone with an actual vehicle will chime it and give you more real world experience

ponypride

Reaction score
Should support Google maps and hopefully Waze later this year.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The beta so far is not allowing third party navigation apps. I know because I loaded it just so I can use google maps.. but no dice so far. Probably beta 4 or actual release

Concur. I am also on it (beta 6 currently), and no dice so far on Waze or Google maps.

Only things supported as of this writing on iOS 12 (YMMV, as it's dependent on apps you have installed. I do have both Waze and Google Maps installed but they don't show up on the list yet).

IMG_4537.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread