5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone jnow why they switched from tow hooks to loops?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 4th gen had tow hooks up front that you could stick the loop of a recovery strap around without a shackle. My 5th gen has closed loop tow hardware - I assume this would require the addition of a shackle in a recovery. Any thoughts why they made the change?

Vilas15

Reaction score
Yes you'll need a shackle. Ill state the obvious and say dont attach a strap with a hook to it.

The loop has got to be stonger than a regular hook right? But if a hook worked for the previous gen then im not sure.

Bassinb

Reaction score
Yes you'll need a shackle. Ill state the obvious and say dont attach a strap with a hook to it.

The loop has got to be stonger than a regular hook right? But if a hook worked for the previous gen then im not sure.

I am not aware of the obvious here, so forgive me. What would be the problem with hooking a strap with a hook into the recovery loop?

Vilas15

Reaction score
I am not aware of the obvious here, so forgive me. What would be the problem with hooking a strap with a hook into the recovery loop?
If you use a strap with a metal hook on the end for recovery and it comes loose or breaks, the hook becomes a projectile launching straight at the other vehicle. Recovery straps should have loops at the end and attach to a shackle/D ring or open tow hook on the vehicle.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did understand the issue with hooks - have a proper recovery strap with the loops and have heard people say they put one end of the strap through the tow hook and thread the other end of the strap through but I figure this would pull very tight and could be tough to remove. I already bought a hitch shackle for pulling someone else out but sounds like I should have another shackle or 2 for the front end in case I'm stuck!

Vilas15

Reaction score
I did understand the issue with hooks - have a proper recovery strap with the loops and have heard people say they put one end of the strap through the tow hook and thread the other end of the strap through but I figure this would pull very tight and could be tough to remove. I already bought a hitch shackle for pulling someone else out but sounds like I should have another shackle or 2 for the front end in case I'm stuck!
Sounds right to me, I wouldn't loop it because you might end up needing to cut it off. Ive got to get myself the tow loops first then get a shackle.

Bassinb

Reaction score
If you use a strap with a metal hook on the end for recovery and it comes loose or breaks, the hook becomes a projectile launching straight at the other vehicle. Recovery straps should have loops at the end and attach to a shackle/D ring or open tow hook on the vehicle.

Ahh ok, makes sense.

I have looped the strap on itself before and ended up having to cut the strap because it pulled so tight. I guess I should have a couple shackles on hand just in case. They are probably much easier to use when its 10 degrees and everything is covered in ice and snow too.

gsxrdoug

Reaction score
Shackles are cheap!!!! you can buy several. or you can buy soft shackles if your worried about metal on metal.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds right to me, I wouldn't loop it because you might end up needing to cut it off. Ive got to get myself the tow loops first then get a shackle.
I didn't have the tow loops on my truck so I bought and installed them a few months back and as the snow started falling here a few weeks ago it got me thinking about recovery situations and being prepared. I like to be the guy who always has the right tool in his truck!

magic280z

Reaction score
Watch Matt's off road recovery on YouTube. Get a kenetic energy rope and soft shackles for hooking to loops. He puts the Yabkum ropes through some torture. Having a short tow strap can be useful too depending on vehicles involved.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Users who are viewing this thread