5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone having creaking or clicking sounds when turning left?

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
When driving over 5mph and turning the wheel left, the steering makes a clicking or creaking sound. Truck has been to the dealership 2 times for different parts. Steering rack and pinion and steering shaft gear replaced, to no avail. The dealership told me this is a “variant” of normal! I almost lost it because this is not normal. Can anyone help with this? It’s so weird! I’d post a video but I don’t know how to lol

derp

Reaction score
single click/crak/clunk?

there's a body mount TSB that fixes that in the warranty section. I had to have it done.

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
When driving over 5mph and turning the wheel left, the steering makes a clicking or creaking sound. Truck has been to the dealership 2 times for different parts. Steering rack and pinion and steering shaft gear replaced, to no avail. The dealership told me this is a “variant” of normal! I almost lost it because this is not normal. Can anyone help with this? It’s so weird! I’d post a video but I don’t know how to lol
single click/crak/clunk?

there's a body mount TSB that fixes that in the warranty section. I had to have it done.
thank you, I have a video but I’m not sure how to post it! It only wants to allow me to post pictures!

Jwrichardson

Reaction score

derp

Reaction score
I loaded a video is that sound yours made!
nope, single hard thump/click/clunk when making a turn that shifted the loading.

i.e. left turn to right turn, noise.
right turn to right turn, no noise.
left turn to left turn, no noise.
right turn to left turn noise.

the fault is that the body mounts themselves are installed incorrectly or outright defective and the dampeners did not cleanly seat. the mounting of the cab and bed to the frame was shifting and making the thump. the shifting ultimately warped the mount brackets themselves leading to a full body off frame for the cab and bed to replace all of the hardware for mating the frame to the cab and bed.

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
nope, single hard thump/click/clunk when making a turn that shifted the loading.

i.e. left turn to right turn, noise.
right turn to right turn, no noise.
left turn to left turn, no noise.
right turn to left turn noise.

the fault is that the body mounts themselves are installed incorrectly or outright defective and the dampeners did not cleanly seat. the mounting of the cab and bed to the frame was shifting and making the thump. the shifting ultimately warped the mount brackets themselves leading to a full body off frame for the cab and bed to replace all of the hardware for mating the frame to the cab and bed.
Okay, thank you for your help! I’m over this dealership trying to claim this noise is normal! I wish I could figure it out!

derp

Reaction score
Okay, thank you for your help! I’m over this dealership trying to claim this noise is normal! I wish I could figure it out!
Chase the lemon law.

After the dealership fails to address the issue enough times during the warranty period, it gets kicked up to FCA for a last chance repair before they buy it back from you (in fl thats the rule, different state by state).

Instead of this being something you need to live with after putting out good money, put the burden of quality and function back on FCA like you would with a toaster that isn't working right.

Cars are retail purchases and we have to exercise our right to return if they don't hold up to the warranty.

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
I agree with 100%! They have one more chance on Tuesday to fix! I already opened a case on this issue! And the paint issue it has that they have been jerking me around about ,which was estimated to be 2500-2600 to fix lower bottom strip!

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
Chase the lemon law.

After the dealership fails to address the issue enough times during the warranty period, it gets kicked up to FCA for a last chance repair before they buy it back from you (in fl thats the rule, different state by state).

Instead of this being something you need to live with after putting out good money, put the burden of quality and function back on FCA like you would with a toaster that isn't working right.

Cars are retail purchases and we have to exercise our right to return if they don't hold up to the warranty.

I was wondering how you escalated this to FCA? this is a bunch of crap as they just replaced body mounts and claimed it was my child seat in rear causing the clicking in steering wheel?!? Its been in the dealer shop for this same problem 3-4 times.

derp

Reaction score
I was wondering how you escalated this to FCA? this is a bunch of crap as they just replaced body mounts and claimed it was my child seat in rear causing the clicking in steering wheel?!? Its been in the dealer shop for this same problem 3-4 times.
In fl it is by mail only.

azMO

Reaction score
I have this same issue on my 2021, brand new. they changed the clock spring to no avail now they are going to change a steering bearing and another steering column part that im not certain of as its at the dealer right now. I knew what I was getting into with FCA though... my fault. lol. live with the pain i guess and get used to regular visits to the dealer.

azMO

Reaction score
Steering wheel for sure with mine. Waiting for a bearing replacement.. see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/