5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have the sliding toolbox? Pictures? Does it fit under a tonneau?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm curious if any of you have the sliding toolbox and rail setup. I need to keep a toolbox for my tools on the jobsite, but I'd really like to have a full tonneau that can keep table saws etc. dry when the weather is that way. I have an over-the-rail toolbox now. I've seen the tonneaus that attach to a top mount toolbox, and that might be the way I go, but I figured I'd see how anyone is using the sliding toolbox setup first.

I don't have the sliding rails but I see everything for sale on the Mopar site - rails, toolbox, tonneau. Figured I'd see what everyone's experience with this setup was so far. None of the trucks on my dealer's lot had the toolbox, and I think only one or two totally loaded ones had the rails.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? :) Surely someone on this board has one of these things....

Rammerhead

Reaction score
Did anyone here end up getting this? I was about to pull the trigger and they said that if you have over the rail bed liner that it won't work... which sounds crazy! I have the bed liner package with the bed rails and I have no idea how that box would interfere with the bed if it lays within the bed and not on the rails. Pics would be awesome.

Rammerhead

Reaction score
I am also interested in this.

Whelp, I bought one and should have it at the beginning of June. Turns out the bed liner 'over the rails' was in regards to an older spray in liner that RAM would install so I should be all set. Snagged the 15% off Mopar dealer discount and am now anxiously waiting.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome! How do you like it? Is it full of tools and how heavy/hard is it to slide when it's full of tools?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks cool. Not a lot of room left with that extender flipped inward, especially on the short bed. If you had to do it again would you have chosen the same setup or possibly ramboxes instead of toolbox? Just curious

Rammerhead

Reaction score
I would do the ramboxes. After seeing those and for what I really need I would probably prefer the ease of having the box right there on the side of the bed. I just set this up the other day and still need some time to really evaluate. I like that I can quickly remove the bed extender and am a bit bummed I don't have much room left unless I fold down the tailgate. Oh well.

If you had to do it again would you have chosen the same setup or possibly ramboxes instead of toolbox? Just curious

Rammerhead

Reaction score
The one thing I hate; the lock is on the passenger side for the toolbox. Really odd. I just installed this the other day because the first one they sent to the dealer was dented and I had to wait for a while longer. Now, to find tools to toss in the back. It slides quite easily and I cannot speak to how well it does with a box full of stuff.

Awesome! How do you like it? Is it full of tools and how heavy/hard is it to slide when it's full of tools?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree that it’s odd for the lock to be on the passenger side. I guess they figure you will either climb in the bed or slide the box to the tailgate and in either of those scenarios you will have access to the full box. Just doesn’t help if you wanted to quickly reach in from the driver’s side, while it’s slid all the way to the rear.

too.many.tacos

Reaction score
Would this work with a tri-fold bedcover? I have the Undercover Flex and want this toolbox.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thinking about getting the sliding box setup as well. I have a short bed like you, but no bed extender. So I know I would loose allot of what little room I have back there. Do you think it would be a big deal to have the box powder coated black?
If there's a seal on the box you probably have to remove that before they bake it, but beyond that it shouldn't be a big deal other than cost.

Users who are viewing this thread