5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone hacked their Uconnect...?

WRH

Reaction score
I didn't know it was possible. Apparently, there are a few devices out there and the possibilities are quite intriguing. Maybe I can change the signal from my lousy 6 speaker system so I can use an Amp Replacement device for my stereo upgrade (with fixed amplitude CAMBus signals). Plus add some cameras... and a few other cool things. Not sure how feasible it is, but I'm frustrated enough with this lame 6 speaker stereo that I'm ready to try about anything. Found something called a lockpick... which is basically like jailbreaking your uConnect. Not sure if I'll try it or not though.

jamesfg

Reaction score
My .02........I'd be researching on the Charger and Challenger forums to see if it's been done. That head unit hasn't changed that much as far as design.

zentechmotors

Reaction score
I was also pointed in the direction of a lockpick....just afraid to commit until I see it on a 2019 working....also I guess there is the issue of updates...

Phiefer

Reaction score
I would be very careful (better to say Avoid) any attempt to write data back to a controller's memory. This could turn it to a 'brick'.

There are datagrabbers available to capture sending messages to car and reverse engineering doing this overs the diagnostic bus, but I don't know what you had in mind. Also not sure about the cellular approach.

I have thought about mods needed to keep the 360 cameras awake and trigger a recording, allowing me to capture a video of someone messing with my truck, however my first approach would be to do this with an external controller added to the bus and avoiding hacking any of the factory controllers. Once I get my truck I will consider this as a winter project.

My question for the group. If you were to hack into your trucks network, what would you try to do?

zentechmotors

Reaction score
I would be very careful (better to say Avoid) any attempt to write data back to a controller's memory. This could turn it to a 'brick'.

There are datagrabbers available to capture sending messages to car and reverse engineering doing this overs the diagnostic bus, but I don't know what you had in mind. Also not sure about the cellular approach.

I have thought about mods needed to keep the 360 cameras awake and trigger a recording, allowing me to capture a video of someone messing with my truck, however my first approach would be to do this with an external controller added to the bus and avoiding hacking any of the factory controllers. Once I get my truck I will consider this as a winter project.

My question for the group. If you were to hack into your trucks network, what would you try to do?

I would add an external camera - we haul horses and it good to see I side the trailer - we had that feature on an aftermarket rearview prior to this vehicle, would be nice to have integrated though

Phiefer

Reaction score
I might start by looking at the wiring harness diagrams for single and 360 systems. The systems that are not 360 may have unused inputs that give you clean access to the hardware of the center console. Software would then be one way (more complex however) to toggle the add-on camera. An old fashion toggle switch may also work.

You will need to know if camera is digital or analog and stay compatible with truck.
I'm sure they make an aftermarket wireless cam with a display for under 200 dollars, so many options exist.

JT2922

Reaction score
I didn't know it was possible. Apparently, there are a few devices out there and the possibilities are quite intriguing. Maybe I can change the signal from my lousy 6 speaker system so I can use an Amp Replacement device for my stereo upgrade (with fixed amplitude CAMBus signals). Plus add some cameras... and a few other cool things. Not sure how feasible it is, but I'm frustrated enough with this lame 6 speaker stereo that I'm ready to try about anything. Found something called a lockpick... which is basically like jailbreaking your uConnect. Not sure if I'll try it or not though.

Google Net Audio in Wichita Falls Tx. They sell a direct plug and play connector for the back of the unit and provides the 5v pre-outs for aftermarket amps. I have the alpine in my 2019 and already replaced the speaker system. You will need resistors in place of the stock sub to ensure the factory amp see's a load if you plan on using the factory amp/highs for your doors.

WRH

Reaction score
Hey JT2922, thanks for sharing that info. Which speaker system came stock in your vehicle? (6, 9, or 19 speakers).

jamesfg

Reaction score
So this dude here in AZ is friends with my buddy who I've bought all my Chrysler based vehicles from. This set up is sick as sick can be but for $1200 I'm gonna pass for now. Now if someone could figure out how to do this to our trucks without having to eat ramen for a month, I'm all ears.

https://www.facebook.com/Procamguy-292312328043211/

Non-FB link https://procamguy.com

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Google Net Audio in Wichita Falls Tx. They sell a direct plug and play connector for the back of the unit and provides the 5v pre-outs for aftermarket amps. I have the alpine in my 2019 and already replaced the speaker system. You will need resistors in place of the stock sub to ensure the factory amp see's a load if you plan on using the factory amp/highs for your doors.
Hey @JT2922 like @WRH I’m super interested in hearing details on your stereo upgrade, and especially that cable, too. Would you consider posting a write-up on a new thread regarding how that cable went in, which wires went to which outputs, how you finished the sytem, etc? I know there are tons of 6 and 9 speaker folks that could benefit from it.

Back on topic here, improving the audio signal would be nice as would a trailer camera or a bed camera.

Bigbill269269

Reaction score
Pick up a tazer i just put one in my 19 it has some pretty kick *** features including keeping the video feed on in motion.

Adrianp89

Reaction score

Old thread that someone bought to life - but yes there are modules to turn your 6 speaker system into a digital signal so you can get a flat signal to your amps. Also a few options for adding cameras, as long as you don't have the 12".

Unhappy Ram Owner

Reaction score
I think it's really crappy that Ram doesn't offer dealer installed options for most of the option packages you can get with the truck when you buy it. Even if it cost 4 times to much at least you wouldn't have to hack anything on a $60,000 +vehicle with a warranty.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I think it's really crappy that Ram doesn't offer dealer installed options for most of the option packages you can get with the truck when you buy it. Even if it cost 4 times to much at least you wouldn't have to hack anything on a $60,000 +vehicle with a warranty.
They do.... it’s called a new truck.

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
I have the uconnect non nav and wish there was a way that i could screen mirror my phone bu adding a wireless adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread