5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone find a solution for rear doors

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I dynamatted mine. It helps give some weight and they sound a little better like a secure thud but the main reason they sound so cheap is the door latch itself not the door. Unfortunately dynamat doesn’t really fix the door sounding cheap when you close it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m dumping the Ram and buying a 2022 Toyota Tundra. I can deal with uglier than sin, low tech as a skateboard and a questionable new drivetrain over a hollow sounding rear door! You’d think Ram would have fixed that in the last two years of the 5th Gen model. 😉

satcomtim

Reaction score
I’m dumping the Ram and buying a 2022 Toyota Tundra. I can deal with uglier than sin, low tech as a skateboard and a questionable new drivetrain over a hollow sounding rear door! You’d think Ram would have fixed that in the last two years of the 5th Gen model. 😉
And next year you'll be on the Tundra forums complaining about the cost of the gym membership required to be able to close the doors :)

TravisH

Reaction score
That was the first thing I noticed when looking for trucks last week. I opened and closed the rear door like 3-4 times. It feels light and I wasn’t sure if it shut all the way. Doesn’t feel like a firm latch when it’s closed. I’ve had mine for almost a week now and sometimes I still double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's wrong with the way the doors sound when closed? Mine sound just fine. 🤷‍♂️
Open/close all four doors on a crew cab. Typically, not for all Rams, the passenger door behind the driver doesn’t sound the same as the others when closed.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I have never noticed any issues. The doors close fine. Maybe I don’t have my hearing aids turned up load enough to notice what y’all are talking about. Lol. If this is the only issue you have up but you will switch to another truck just because of it,well, then just switch. But don’t blame just on the sound of the rear doors…..you have other reasons which I respect. Just say it.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never noticed any issues. The doors close fine. Maybe I don’t have my hearing aids turned up load enough to notice what y’all are talking about. Lol. If this is the only issue you have up but you will switch to another truck just because of it,well, then just switch. But don’t blame just on the sound of the rear doors…..you have other reasons which I respect. Just say it.
Hearing aids muffle a lot of stuff I really don't want to listen to and/or don't care about. aren't they wonderful?

Hdtlamberth

Reaction score
I bought a 2022 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab and both the rear doors seem very hollow/flimsy. Does not have any sort of solid feel. When I close either of them, you can see the body of the door vibrate/flap and you can hear it too.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was laughing at this thread until I was leaning against the bedside while washing the truck and near the tailight caved in (luckily it popped back out). All the metal is really thin on these trucks. My guess is that’s for weight savings to hit their cafe numbers.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The best solution is to fill them with sand bags. Gives you that extra firm feeling and may even stop a .22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the inner plastic door panels and installed sound deadening on the inside of the sheet metal. All four doors have a solid thud now when you close them, just have to remind your caveman buddies not to slam the doors with the extra weight in them it can’t be good.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Ha, that was one of the first things I noticed on my truck. Driver and passenger doors are ok but the rear doors sound like the window bounces in the door when I close them.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
I removed the inner plastic door panels and installed sound deadening on the inside of the sheet metal. All four doors have a solid thud now when you close them, just have to remind your caveman buddies not to slam the doors with the extra weight in them it can’t be good.
How hard was this? Did it make a big difference? I thought I was the only one who noticed this yesterday!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How hard was this? Did it make a big difference? I thought I was the only one who noticed this yesterday!
Hardest part is dealing with the window glass, once you remove the door panels you will see two rubber stoppers in the inner panel you can remove to access the bolts holding the glass to the actuator. Remove those and carefully roll the window all the way up and secure it with tape, you can then move the window actuator down separately and remove the entire panel.

It took me 2 days total working slowly, but I got it done. My new 2022 seems to be even quieter that my 2020 did so I haven’t done the doors yet, maybe in the spring once it warms up I will get back at it.

Users who are viewing this thread