5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Feel Like a Pilot?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
You know, I get in my truck each day and feel like I'm a pilot having to go through a pre-flight check. Let's see, turn on ignition, set cooled seats to highest setting, disable auto rear braking, enable tow/haul mode to get sport feel, select gear limit to 8 to disable MDS, check to make sure all preset stations are still there, etc. etc. It's starting to become a common routine for me now. I'm joking obviously, but this is the first vehicle that I've had to consider so many things before simply putting the truck in drive and taking off. It's just become comical in many ways.........

Johnvan

Reaction score
Mine is pretty well equipped too. I find the 12 inch screen is a bit distracting. I'm always searching for where to click.
My wife likes it but she's logged more hours in the RAM ****pit than I have so she can find things on the screen quicker.
Mine is a lease and I think when I return it my next truck will be a bit more bare bones.

AnthonyJS02

Reaction score
You know, I get in my truck each day and feel like I'm a pilot having to go through a pre-flight check. Let's see, turn on ignition, set cooled seats to highest setting, disable auto rear braking, enable tow/haul mode to get sport feel, select gear limit to 8 to disable MDS, check to make sure all preset stations are still there, etc. etc. It's starting to become a common routine for me now. I'm joking obviously, but this is the first vehicle that I've had to consider so many things before simply putting the truck in drive and taking off. It's just become comical in many ways.........

Can you explain a couple of the features your talk about a little more?

1 - rear breaking is that even going in reverse abs it thinks your to close abs decides to put on brakes aggressively?

2- what's different about tow haul mode?

3-what did disabling the MDS do?

I'm assuming all these options don't stick with a restart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timtlu

Reaction score
Push start. The 12 inch screen automatically pulls up seat vents. Press twice to go from low to high. Drive away.

warvet

Reaction score
My rear parking brake assist is set to remain off so my truck can stop slamming on brakes when I back into garage, cool seats are set to always come on when I start truck, ...........I also find the voice commands are great. I don't have to search around the 12" screen too often. I set temperature, etc etc via voice. You can even tell it to open aps, etc so you have less searching to do.

But you're right......there is alot lol

Repsol69

Reaction score
Is it safe to run in the Tow/Haul mode all the time?? Just for a sportier feel?? Does it hurt your MPG's ?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess some folks are challenged by technology. :p For me, it was one of the things that attracted me to the Ram.

...but I disable the 'aids' that interfere with me being the truck's 'pilot'. I also am not bothered by MDS or that the quick shifting of the ZF 8-speed isn't 'sporty' enough. The stop/start of the eTorque is also very well executed, so I leave that on. I had to disable it on my '16 Mercedes GL 450 every time I started the vehicle.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it safe to run in the Tow/Haul mode all the time?? Just for a sportier feel?? Does it hurt your MPG's ?
Yes, it will have a little bit of detrimental effect on your fuel economy. No, it won't hurt anything.

Tow/haul mode only changes the shift points so there's less lugging on the engine and lets it hold a gear longer before swapping up so that you get less hunting between gears. That means that there's more chance you'll be in less optimal gear for fuel economy (what transmission shift points are mostly tuned for these days) but that you'll have a better torque band to drive in which will make the drive "sportier".

dandar

Reaction score
Only when I go through car wash. Turn off front and rear park sense, disable auto wipers, fold mirrors, put truck in neutral.

Apexcars

Reaction score
In my '14, when I put it in neutral, it automatically disables the park sensors and the auto windshield wipers.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Looks like there are actually a few pilots on this thread. I'm an Airbus pilot for a Chinese airline.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
My preflight consists of, grab door handle and doors magically unlock, climb aboard and sit into luxury seat, push ignition start button and engine starts, luxury seat automatically adjust to preset position and height, check all gauges and big screen TV, AC automatically begins rapid cool down and seat cooling, listen to Country Music on Sirius, check surroundings, turn shift knob to reverse, backup then turn shift knob to drive, not too complicated ;-)!

But honestly I did feel like I was flying on the Interstate, the highway was smooth and combined with the ultra luxury ride of the new Ram Limited, I felt as though I was flying a low flying aircraft!

Hope everyone enjoys their new Ram Truck as much as I do.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
But honestly I did feel like I was flying on the Interstate, the highway was smooth and combined with the ultra luxury ride of the new Ram Limited, I felt as though I was flying a low flying aircraft!
Ultra Luxury Ride? Then I must hit an awful lot of turbulence during my flights because my truck is the equivilent of a robotic martini shaker that can also identify every granual of the road making a 1/8" pebble feel like I hit a pothole. There is no luxury in my ride..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online