5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else have this problem

JE25

Reaction score
I have a 19 bighorn and when I got ready for work this afternoon I noticed that the headliner in the back had water stains on it. It rained about an inch in my area last night.
Has anyone had any problems with something leaking towards the back of the cab?

Attachments

• 7FE67AD9-4091-4D08-9893-4D5B167351A4.jpeg
    7FE67AD9-4091-4D08-9893-4D5B167351A4.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 53

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Sorry, you got the dreaded leak, there is another thread here as well:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could also be the 3rd brake light leaking. Have you recently removed the 3rd brake light?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Based on the photo, I don't see any cracks, likely a 3rd brake light leak. Easy to fix with better seal you can buy at home depot.

JE25

Reaction score
Thank y’all for the info. No I haven’t done anything to the 3rd brake light. I noticed some very small water stains the last time it rained but honestly never gave it much thought. Today was a different story!
Do y’all think I could use some silicone around the light cover?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank y’all for the info. No I haven’t done anything to the 3rd brake light. I noticed some very small water stains the last time it rained but honestly never gave it much thought. Today was a different story!
Do y’all think I could use some silicone around the light cover?

The oem seal is puny, gets smaller and harder as rubber does over time which leads to the leak. This is a common leak on many trucks. Remove the lens and you can see what kind of seal you need, then go to Home Depot and buy some, preferably slightly thicker. Get the seal that already has a single side of adhesive tape, which you will trim for fit and install on the 3rd brake light.

If you add sealant, make sure to add it to just on the seal where it makes contact with the body. I wouldn't try to "seal in" the light itself, just the rubber seal.

Here is a good vid on how to do it, it's on the previous gen, but similar:

Last edited:

JE25

Reaction score
The oem seal is puny, gets smaller and harder as rubber does over time which leads to the leak. This is a common leak on many trucks. Remove the lens and you can see what kind of seal you need, then go to Home Depot and buy some, preferably slightly thicker. Get the seal that already has a single side of adhesive tape, which you will trim for fit and install on the 3rd brake light.

If you add sealant, make sure to add it to just on the seal where it makes contact with the body. I wouldn't try to "seal in" the light itself, just the rubber seal.

Here is a good vid on how to do it, it's on the previous gen, but similar:
Awesome, thanks again, I appreciate it

Ramman_666

Reaction score
Just had same issue. We have a full 90 page thread in it call dealer ASAP get fixed. 3rd break light and see if you have any cracks in the sides of the plastic top window frame next to the center window.

Users who are viewing this thread