5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tips specific to my home situation?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys. Was hoping maybe someone could give me some tips and tricks. I've got a Diamond Black truck and would like it to look as good as possible for as long as possible! The problem is that I live in the middle of a field and I haven't gotten my shop or carport built yet. So I have no where with shade to wash my truck. Yesterday I tried to wash my truck first thing in the morning so that I could beat the sun but holy crap. By 8:30 the sun was on the truck and it was impossible to get it dry without some spots. I went back by with a waterless cleaner to get the spots and it was literally STEAMING as I was wiping it off with my microfiber cloths.

My current washing method is pretty basic. Just 2 bucket method and then dry off. I don't have a pressure washer or anything fancy. I tried to keep all the panels wet until it was time to dry but that didn't work out. I think if I get a proper drying towel it may be better but I felt pretty defeated.

The only thing I can think of is going to a DIY car wash and using the bay at night when it's not crowded.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

Pe2n3d1

Reaction score
Hey guys. Was hoping maybe someone could give me some tips and tricks. I've got a Diamond Black truck and would like it to look as good as possible for as long as possible! The problem is that I live in the middle of a field and I haven't gotten my shop or carport built yet. So I have no where with shade to wash my truck. Yesterday I tried to wash my truck first thing in the morning so that I could beat the sun but holy crap. By 8:30 the sun was on the truck and it was impossible to get it dry without some spots. I went back by with a waterless cleaner to get the spots and it was literally STEAMING as I was wiping it off with my microfiber cloths.

My current washing method is pretty basic. Just 2 bucket method and then dry off. I don't have a pressure washer or anything fancy. I tried to keep all the panels wet until it was time to dry but that didn't work out. I think if I get a proper drying towel it may be better but I felt pretty defeated.

The only thing I can think of is going to a DIY car wash and using the bay at night when it's not crowded.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!
What I’ve done is just wash and dry one panel at a time.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Superior products has a good spot free wax you spray on while it's still wet after washing that helps with water repellent.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I learned recently that it’s how you rinse that causes a lot of the spots. While I know you do not have a pressure washer, I use mine for foaming at the beginning and end, you could still achieve a similar result washing by hand. Anyways.....after you wash an area, say the roof. Rinse it while soapy with a hose with no nozzle. Just let the natural flow of water get the soap off. Don’t put your thumb over it to increase pressure, just let it flow naturally. You’ll see that the stream of water will pool together leaving hardly any water spots. A quick wipe with a towel and it’s spotless.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier don’t wash the entire truck and then rinse it off all at once. Break it into thirds and do the full rinse, wash, rinse, and dry process. You’ll get some over spray but it’ll be much easier to reduce spotting when you can keep the surface area you’re working on under control.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The posts above sound right to me, after all it’s a big truck, lots of sq feet of panels... Until you can get your choice of “shade”, either combine the above or do the $ car wash bay routine. Any chance to enlist some help?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I'll look into trying to do all the methods above. Seems like if I break it down into sections and then change my rinsing method I would have some success.

As for help - unfortunately no. We've got a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old. keeping those little monkeys at bay is a full time job :ROFLMAO: when the oldest is a little older she I'll get her to help me for sure though.

lol, I want my shop built asap so no water systems for now!

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I'm OCDish so I always washed "by-panel" rinsing w/open nozzle & 1/2 flow & drying w/[below].
Started with the roof, then hood, then front, then each panel working F-to-B. 0 water spots & any soap u want to use

Screenshot_20200525-001254_Chrome.jpg

acbone710

Reaction score
In addition to what everyone else has said, I have had better luck with spots by adding a rv water filter to the hose. Not perfect, but leaves much less of a water spot if it does dry.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Have you thought of a deionizer? Some are expensive but you can find one on Amazon for under a $100 Deionizer

as the spots are caused by minerals and this takes those out.

I use some distilled water when I clean as that does not leave streaks but only for small spots and windows.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Buy a pop up 12x12 tent or something similar to put over most of the truck while you are washing it

Fishwiz

Reaction score
Get a professionally applied ceramic coating, then after that use a drying agent to help shed water.

The ceramic coating isn't cheap (haven't been able to convince myself or the wife to pull the trigger yet), but they are absolutely awesome if done right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread