5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any colorado owners running straight 85 octane?

schwizzle

Reaction score
Would be interested if anyone is running 85 octane fuel and how the truck is performing.

Costco only sells 85 and 91 so would like to fill that 33 gallon tank with 85 if folks aren’t seeing issues.

sass

Reaction score
I used 85 for a few tanks, I didn’t like my low mpg’s or how sluggish it felt, switched back to 87 and operates like new, IMO.

schwizzle

Reaction score
Per the manual, 89 is recommended.

@moosem - thanks, yes I am aware 89 is recommended. octanes are lower in Colorado with the higher altitude. I have typically run 87 octane which is mid grade here on other v8 vehicles but some vehicles can run 85 without issue

miller89

Reaction score
Oh damn, I should read up a little better. I've been running 85 the whole time and haven't had any issues.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like someone here told me, splitting the fill takes time and may not be "other customer friendly", whereas filling up with one octane then about 1/2 way down going for the other works as long as you are near a Costco that is.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Like someone here told me, splitting the fill takes time and may not be "other customer friendly", whereas filling up with one octane then about 1/2 way down going for the other works as long as you are near a Costco that is.

Off topic, but just having the 33-gallon tank can be unfriendly to other customers. More than a few times when I was filling the 36-gallon tank in my F-150, I'd get honked at by other customers. I guess they couldn't believe that a vehicle could take so much fuel. If they'd looked, they would've seen that the pump was still filling my tank. :D

-John

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Off topic, but just having the 33-gallon tank can be unfriendly to other customers. More than a few times when I was filling the 36-gallon tank in my F-150, I'd get honked at by other customers. I guess they couldn't believe that a vehicle could take so much fuel. If they'd looked, they would've seen that the pump was still filling my tank. :D

-John
Agree, and then theres the customers filling 3 or 4 of the 5 gallon containers after filling their tank. How I used to hate being behind them.

Rottonrob

Reaction score

-John
Try filling a 100 gal tank on my diesel. Get lots of l.ooksl

shyam

Reaction score
Would be interested if anyone is running 85 octane fuel and how the truck is performing.

Costco only sells 85 and 91 so would like to fill that 33 gallon tank with 85 if folks aren’t seeing issues.
New owner, I live in front range. This thread being almost a year old now, can you please share what octane rating gasoline you are using?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted here a while back that I have talked to several 5th gen ram owners here in Colorado that never even knew 85 wasn’t recommended. The guy that runs my RV storage place has put 20,000 miles on his 5th gen ram running 85, tows a large travel trailer and thinks the truck is a beast. If it’s ok to run 87 in Texas I can’t see how 85 would be a problem at 5,000-6,000 ft based on the science. FWIW I have run 85 several times and not noticed any difference in economy or power.

i do not understand why FCA doesn’t put anything anywhere in plain sight that says what fuel is recommended, expecting people to look it up in their owners manual is a major oversight. And what about rental vehicles....do they expect people who rent a ram to look up what fuel it takes? At least put something on the fuel door!

Last edited:

shyam

Reaction score
I posted here a while back that I have talked to several 5th gen ram owners here in Colorado that never even knew 85 wasn’t recommended. The guy that runs my RV storage place has put 20,000 miles on his 5th gen ram running 85, tows a large travel trailer and thinks the truck is a beast. If it’s ok to run 87 in Texas I can’t see how 85 would be a problem at 5,000-6,000 ft based on the science. FWIW I have run 85 several times and not noticed any difference in economy or power.

i do not understand why FCA doesn’t put anything anywhere in plain sight that says what fuel is recommended, expecting people to look it up in their owners manual is a major oversight. And what about rental vehicles....do they expect people who rent a ram to look up what fuel it takes? At least put something on the fuel door!
Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about the same. The only thing I saw on the fuel door was no E85, nothing about gasoline octane rating.

Users who are viewing this thread