5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Apple CarPlay Post

zucchinilegs

Reaction score
Instead of bumping the other Apple CarPlay threads that have not seemed to reach a resolution, thought I'd restart the conversation and see if anyone has a similar issue.

2019 Ram Bighorn with the 8.4 non-nav

A few weeks ago my Apple CarPlay was getting a bit finicky - it would sometimes stop working until I stopped, restarted the truck, and reconnected the phone. I thought it was my cord until it recently stopped working altogether. Having had many iPhones, I had the luxury of trying 6 Apple OEM cables and 2 non OEM cables, of which none triggered the CarPlay to begin working. I reset the system via disconnecting the battery to no avail.

CarPlay is enabled on my phone and I have tried all the tricks - having it plugged in before starting the truck, resetting the phone, ensuring there isn't a "allow CarPlay notification" that pops up, etc. Also tried 2 other iPhones.

I firmly believe that this is a truck issue, not a phone/cable issue. The truck has been into the dealer and the tech could not get any charging cords to work (which I told them AND provided 8 different cables). They told me a radio tech would be in next week and to bring it back.

Before dropping more money on diagnostics with no actual results - has anyone had and remedied this issue?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that it sounds like the issue isn't with your phone or cables. The only other thing you could test is wipe your iPhone (after making a backup of course) and try your phone again before a restore.

Frankly, it's unnecessary considering you tried 2 other phones, but it is a troubleshooting step you could take.

Hopefully a reflash of your head unit fixes it but it sounds like the USB Port itself is the culprit. Find a buddy with an Android device and see if Android Auto works on it.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get a toothpick and clean out the POS lightning port on your phone. Guaranteed there's a big ball of crap up inside it. Only use something wood or plastic and be gentle, don't use anything sharp or metal or use a lot of force.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get a toothpick and clean out the POS lightning port on your phone. Guaranteed there's a big ball of crap up inside it. Only use something wood or plastic and be gentle, don't use anything sharp or metal or use a lot of force.
I recommend using the back, pointed end of one of those plastic flossers.

Users who are viewing this thread