5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 2021 E-Torque stalling

JDBehm

Reaction score
I have a 2021 1500 E-Torque with 9170 miles on it and had it stall on me this morning. I see plenty of complaints on this issue and will file a report but wanted to add my name to the list of complaints for my due diligence. My situation was slowing down for a right turn in our neighborhood and after completing the turn the truck engine was off. No warning dings or engine lights, no rough running and I only noticed it wasn't running when it didn't respond after I pressed the accelerator. The center cluster told me to shift to park and that auto braking had been engaged. I always run with the auto start/stop disengaged so that was off. It did start right back up but of course now I'm waiting for it to happen again and will be hesitant to let my wife drive it.

I will make an appointment with my dealer even though it sounds like they won't find anything just to have it logged. Has anyone had any findings in this yet or am I just another number at this point?

Thanks and this is my first post so please politely move it if I posted in the wrong area.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not happy to hear that this happened even though you had your stop/start disabled. I keep mine disabled 100% of the time with an aftermarket device, so I was hoping to avoid any possibility of this issue. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any posts about anyone having a solution for this. I doesn't seem to be very common, but it has happened to a number of people who've posted about it. I think it's a good idea that you're going to report it even though you know nothing will come from it.

SirHempCo

Reaction score
Had the same issue happened to me today. The message on the center console was shifter autocorrect (despite that I was still driving), I also was making a right turn at a slow speed after stopping at the stop sign. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(Is there a main thread where people are discussing this? I just came across this post)

...I've been searching the internet ALL afternoon trying to get a better grasp on ECO mode/MDS/eTorque to see if it's related or somehow part of the cause and I've come up short. I just found this post and pretty much this same thing has happened to me twice. The first time was maybe 2-3 months ago and the second time was yesterday. Both instances were in the morning so it's possible the truck wasn't warmed up enough but it's only happened twice so that seems less likely. The first time it happened I hoped it was a fluke and ignored it, but after yesterday I'm a little more concerned. I put a sensor in today and there were no codes, as I expected, so I assume the dealership will tell me that they can't replicate and nothing is wrong; so I was debating even wasting my time with them but you're right, it might be best just to have it noted.

I can't recall if my auto start/stop was in auto-stop the first time it happened but I know it was not in the auto-stop mode yesterday when it happened (i.e. the engine was on the whole time).
Both instances occurred while I was slowing down to an intersection and turning right to merge into traffic and pressing the gas (not overly hard but I was not babying the pedal). Both times the truck seemed to flash (more of a blink really) but the dash & screen came right back on immediately, the truck auto-shifted to park (I guess as it should), and the e-brake came on (as I have it set to in the UC when the truck gets put in park). Obviously at this point I had my foot on the brake and I had to press the ignition once to get to ACC and again to get the engine to start, then take the e-brake off, and finally shift to drive and go. After all of that it seemed to work fine the rest of the day. I have not been able to replicate it intentionally but within the last1-2 weeks it sometimes feels a bit lurchy if the truck thinks I'm coming to a stop but then press on the gas pretty hard in traffic or at a light that just changed, etc.
The first time I was able to stop the truck before I rolled into traffic but yesterday morning I was squarely in the main road coming out of my subdivision but thankfully there was no one coming around the corner behind me. With my two kids in the truck it just makes me a bit more nervous and is certainly a safety liability for getting rear-ended.

Do y'all have thoughts on if it's for sure eTorque related and not a skip (misfire?) in the MDS going back to all 8 cylinders? Especially if y'all had yours off and I know my issue yesterday the truck was not "off" - even though I did not have the "turn off auto-start/stop" button pressed under the ignition button.
Some questions I have from my research today is:
1) Does ECO mode mean you're in MDS and vice versa (it seems that maybe older trucks they aren't 100% tied together but in the 5th gens they might be the same thing)?
2) If being in ECO mode doesn't necessarily mean that you are in MDS, then is there a way to tell that the truck is in MDS? And are we really saying that the only way to tell is by exhaust sound??
3) Can MDS be activated in any gear (not just your highest)?

I'm sure I had more but it's 1:00 AM, lol. Sorry for the long post, I'm just relieved to find a current post with others having the same issue so I'm not crazy or alone in this issue.

JDBehm

Reaction score
I too have been noticing it feeling a little more lurchy when I slow down and then watch the tach it seems to jump around quite a bit more as it's shifting down through the gears. I've kind of gotten myself accustomed to watching the RPMs to see if it's died again because the day it happened I had no clue it did it until I went to push on the gas. I typically have my eco shut off through hitting the gear limit selector but I think it was on that morning. My truck had also only been running 5 minutes or less as well and was definitely not fully warmed up. I am completely stock with no modifications mine does go in next Wednesday to the dealer, I know the exact time, date and mileage it happened I wondered if they had a way to scan it to see if there are any abnormalities in the computer.

I'm also planning on buying a dash cam over the weekend and putting it in my rear window with the hopes of catching the the instrument cluster in case it happens again, it seems like a huge liability to me if it were to happen at the wrong place at the wrong time and I don't want to be liable for an accident I didn't necessarily cause.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too have been noticing it feeling a little more lurchy when I slow down and then watch the tach it seems to jump around quite a bit more as it's shifting down through the gears. I've kind of gotten myself accustomed to watching the RPMs to see if it's died again because the day it happened I had no clue it did it until I went to push on the gas. I typically have my eco shut off through hitting the gear limit selector but I think it was on that morning. My truck had also only been running 5 minutes or less as well and was definitely not fully warmed up. I am completely stock with no modifications mine does go in next Wednesday to the dealer, I know the exact time, date and mileage it happened I wondered if they had a way to scan it to see if there are any abnormalities in the computer.

I'm also planning on buying a dash cam over the weekend and putting it in my rear window with the hopes of catching the the instrument cluster in case it happens again, it seems like a huge liability to me if it were to happen at the wrong place at the wrong time and I don't want to be liable for an accident I didn't necessarily cause.
great idea on the dash cam, rather spend $100 or so than being liable as you said

JDBehm

Reaction score
An update to fix slow speed stall is available.
Good find and thanks for sharing. I'll show this to them next week when at the dealer if they don't know of it yet.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
The TSB states LED light in the start/stop button does not illuminate as one of the 2 issues.
Are 2021 models supposed to have an led in the button?
Mine has never illuminated, and before taking the truck to dealership i would like to make sure there is actually an led in the start/stop button

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It should illuminate anytime you push the button and turn the system off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake2544

Reaction score
Good find on the TSB, hopefully this will fix my stall issue as well. I don’t have a led light up when pushing the button either, just the green light in the cluster when it’s in auto start mode.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It should illuminate anytime you push the button and turn the system off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine has never lit up in the year I've owned the truck. Lots of '21 owners have complained about the LED on that button not lighting. There is at least one thread from last year where it was discussed.

JDBehm

Reaction score
Mine has never lit up in the year I've owned the truck. Lots of '21 owners have complained about the LED on that button not lighting. There is at least one thread from last year where it was discussed.

These are the lights I have. But I do not have any green light in the instrument cluster whether it's on or off.

Attachments

• 16518579029142203740519990190752.jpg
    16518579029142203740519990190752.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 61

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
These are the lights I have. But I do not have any green light in the instrument cluster whether it's on or off.
What year is your Ram?

Honestly, I'm fine with the light not working. I have an autostop eliminator installed, and I'd have to stare at that light all the time if it worked.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The "ECO" light comes on in the center dash screen on the left-hand side. The auto-start/stop icon (an "A" with a circle/arrow around it) is in the left tachometer screen.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I took the truck in to the dealership this morning and explained the situation and they called me back about an hour later and said that they came up with the same service bulletin that I had mentioned to them (that Cbty2050 posted), and that they didn't have anything else showing up as a fix/update/service that was needed. All still covered under the warranty so no issues there and hopefully this fixes it. I'll still try to replicate the issue a few times just to give myself the warm-fuzzy but so far it's driving really smooth, just as I remember it did when I first got it.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys get stuff done! My dealer wouldn't even talk about the lift kit for my money, let alone give the time of day for a warranty ECU update. Essentially, if it runs, get it outta here! Stalled once and no start/stop light posted in another thread. I even got charged for an oil change 2x ago, with a service package, and the clown says now I have to use the last free one before some mileage. :mad: Heard him tell another customer that aftermarket brake pads may void his entire warranty. Couldn't rotate my tires because they were worn slightly different - I thought that was the point? Of course tried to sell me new tires...

Rdub22

Reaction score
An update to fix slow speed stall is available.
Cbty - have you had issues with your 22? I noticed the tsb states 21 model year. My 22 just stalled when coming to a stop and shifted into P. Was difficult to restart and now has a check engine light on. shortly after cold start, less than a mile from my house. Dropped it off at the dealer after hours, hopefully they can look at it tomorrow.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cbty - have you had issues with your 22? I noticed the tsb states 21 model year. My 22 just stalled when coming to a stop and shifted into P. Was difficult to restart and now has a check engine light on. shortly after cold start, less than a mile from my house. Dropped it off at the dealer after hours, hopefully they can look at it tomorrow.
I have not, I updated my pcm early on. It hopes it would prevent that from happening.

Users who are viewing this thread