5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annoyed with Lowes over abandoning Kobalt.

geotex1

Reaction score
So, contrary to earlier widespread reports, Lowes is in fact abandoning Kobalt hand tools for Craftsman.

Now, I have boxes full of generations of REAL Craftsman tools, but I stopped even looking at them after Stanley Black & Decker bought the brand because they further cheapened their design. I'm bothered because I found the Kobalt brand to be very good at the price point, and my experience with warranty was like 20 years ago at Sears. I have a full box of Kobalt at our little cabin so I wasn't dragging tools anymore, and gifted sets to my son and nephews because of that decent quality and warranty.

Yesterday I roll into Lowes and find nearly all the Kobalt hand tools gone. Just a single rack with hardly anything. I needed to warranty a socket. No go. Talk to an associate who gets the manager too. Long story short, the lifetime warranty is now worthless without the tools.

Anyone else think this is bogus?!? :mad:

LaRamie

Reaction score
Yeah heard a commercial last week for craftsman at Lowe's. Guys where I work have a lot of craftsman and have started changing brands because of the warranty issues. Even before all this it was getting harder and harder to get anything replaced. I have two kobalt ratchets I use at home and I love them. Is there a way to get hold of cobalt direct for warranty?

cjmst23

Reaction score
All Dewalt for me, but does suck if you're a kobalt guy.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Snap-on guy takes my money every wednesday... Although he gave me an awesome deal on a 72" master series KTL toolbox over the summer. All my hand tools are Snap-on, and I absolutely love my milwaukee drill and three impacts.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Snap on has plenty of my money also, 95% of my work box is. Now it would just be nice if our local dealer would show up. Milwaukee has everyone beat in cordless tools imo, they are one thing we can say we use daily and will take whatever you throw at them.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Snap on has plenty of my money also, 95% of my work box is. Now it would just be nice if our local dealer would show up. Milwaukee has everyone beat in cordless tools imo, they are one thing we can say we use daily and will take whatever you throw at them.
You've gotta give your regional rep a call, we've had that happen a few times.

LaRamie

Reaction score
I'll have to try that. He even added another truck to split up routes and whenever you see them around both trucks are at the same place lol

John813

Reaction score
Seems like they are cutting back on the kobalt 80v stuff too.
Was hard as hell to find the leaf blower near me and no one knew if more were coming in.
Shame, cause it's very close to gas performance IMO. Even the mower is decent.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know they were doing away from Kobalt. I have a couple things from them. For the price point and warranty, I thought they were a good weekend warrior brand for sure.

geotex1

Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know they were doing away from Kobalt. I have a couple things from them. For the price point and warranty, I thought they were a good weekend warrior brand for sure.

That's what they were originally saying to customers and the GP - Kobalt would continue to be supported and warranty honored. Reality is, that's not the case. I have been told, and it can be clearly seen in the stores, that anything where Craftsman has a replacement for the Kobalt, the Craftsman item will stock the shelf.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what they were originally saying to customers and the GP - Kobalt would continue to be supported and warranty honored. Reality is, that's not the case. I have been told, and it can be clearly seen in the stores, that anything where Craftsman has a replacement for the Kobalt, the Craftsman item will stock the shelf.

I will say I bought the Craftsman VeraStack toolboxes when re-organizing my garage in preparation for the truck and really like them. But that's not really a tool of course.

Quicker10u

Reaction score
I have tons of Kobalt stuff and love them. Never had an issue. That's pretty frustrating, although I have been making the switch over to SONIC Tools. www.sonictoolsusa.com as Sonic supports a bunch of the motorsports programs (IMSA-Corvette, BMW, VW ) that I care about. Their 24 hour tool exchange is fantastic and prices are more than reasonable for the quality. Check them out as an alternative to Strap On, CornHell, Or Matco.....

Zinger

Reaction score
With the demise of Sears, I personally find the Craftsman name devalued. I'd rather buy Kobalt due to that alone.

Rich

Reaction score
One thing I've learned as I get older, lifetime warranty means nothing anymore.

I'm out living the companies that offer the lifetime warranty on most products. Or the companies will discontinue the product and say it's reached it's useful lifespan.

I can make a list of things that no longer function or I can't get serviced that had a lifetime warranty: Scuba gear, windows, tools, etc.

It used to be that a company would stand by their products to maintain their brand and customer reputation. This is no longer true.

It's very disappointing but a fact of life.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never bought Kobalt tools. Many years ago I bought Craftsman when Sears sold quality products; I abandoned Craftsman when they cheapened it and started selling it K-Mart. Its all Husky tools for me now. I haven't had any problems with Husky and they have some really nice sets and innovative tools.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Snap-on guy takes my money every wednesday... Although he gave me an awesome deal on a 72" master series KTL toolbox over the summer. All my hand tools are Snap-on, and I absolutely love my milwaukee drill and three impacts.

Super quality tools for many years. i was a Crafts man too and now I have the original craftsmen and when they break or crack i toss them....cause all u get is junk for replacement at Ace hardware stores.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Super quality tools for many years. i was a Crafts man too and now I have the original craftsmen and when they break or crack i toss them....cause all u get is junk for replacement at Ace hardware stores.
Awesome return policy with snap-on as well, just yesterday I had my dealer exchange my 1/2" wrench because I found a small chip in the chrome plating. It also helps that I have a great relationship with my dealer, most of the time I pay in full upfront rather than paying $25 per week like most people (which is a bad idea for many reasons)

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome return policy with snap-on as well, just yesterday I had my dealer exchange my 1/2" wrench because I found a small chip in the chrome plating. It also helps that I have a great relationship with my dealer, most of the time I pay in full upfront rather than paying $25 per week like most people (which is a bad idea for many reasons)

Do you do much with them online or snap on guy out of the truck in person?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Do you do much with them online or snap on guy out of the truck in person?
I got a pry bar online a while back but on the website you will pay full price unless there’s a sale on something (pretty rare). Since I pay in full he gives me 20-30% off on almost anything on the truck, if he has to order it I have to pay full msrp.

lowes1

Reaction score
So, contrary to earlier widespread reports, Lowes is in fact abandoning Kobalt hand tools for Craftsman.

Now, I have boxes full of generations of REAL Craftsman tools, but I stopped even looking at them after Stanley Black & Decker bought the brand because they further cheapened their design. I'm bothered because I found the Kobalt brand to be very good at the price point, and my experience with warranty was like 20 years ago at Sears. I have a full box of Kobalt at our little cabin so I wasn't dragging tools anymore, and gifted sets to my son and nephews because of that decent quality and warranty.

Yesterday I roll into Lowes and find nearly all the Kobalt hand tools gone. Just a single rack with hardly anything. I needed to warranty a socket. No go. Talk to an associate who gets the manager too. Long story short, the lifetime warranty is now worthless without the tools.
Seems like Lowes are cutting back on the kobalt 80v stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread