5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto - uConnect no longer connects

upstateram

Reaction score
The order of events is roughly this:

1. Got the truck in November 2018 and was immediately able to start using Android Auto with it and my OnePlus 5. There was one brief hiccup when plugging the phone into the truck would not trigger Android Auto. I resolved this by going into uConnect Settings and resetting to Default Settings and clearing Personal Data. Since then, no problems.

2. A couple weeks ago, got a new phone -- a Google Pixel 3a. Had no problems pairing the phone to the truck. I was also able to switch to the "new" Android Auto (with the new interface), although I found it to be pretty buggy. Android Auto continued to work normally even after accepting the upgrade from Android 9 to Android 10 on the phone.

3. Yesterday I plugged the phone into the truck and Android Auto did not start. Since then I have tried a few things to try to get things reset so I can pair the two devices as if they were both brand new:

• Clear cache and storage on the Android Auto and Google apps on the phone. (Note: Android 10 does not appear to have "Google Play Services" any longer).
  • Reset uConnect to default settings and clear personal data
  • Downgrade Android Auto to the version that comes preinstalled with Android 10 and cannot be removed (4.3.591844-release)
  • Tried a different USB cable (in fact, the official one that came with my Pixel)
Nothing seems to work. Caveat: this morning I plugged the phone into the truck and nothing happened, but after about 2 minutes of driving, the truck recognized the phone and began Android Auto setup. I was able to complete that setup. On the uConnect display, it asked if I wanted to "try the new Android Auto" and I tapped to accept. It prompted me to unplug/plug the phone, which I did. From that point forward, I was back to where I started -- the truck won't recognize the phone. I have been unable to reproduce this spontaneous connection/setup-after-a-delay phenomenon, no matter what I try.

For what it's worth, I work as a software engineer and know my way around Android really well and I'm a good troubleshooter. I have not been able to put my finger on what changed to cause this behavior to start. Pretty frustrating, though.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Blueraptor

Reaction score

1. Got the truck in November 2018 and was immediately able to start using Android Auto with it and my OnePlus 5. There was one brief hiccup when plugging the phone into the truck would not trigger Android Auto. I resolved this by going into uConnect Settings and resetting to Default Settings and clearing Personal Data. Since then, no problems.

2. A couple weeks ago, got a new phone -- a Google Pixel 3a. Had no problems pairing the phone to the truck. I was also able to switch to the "new" Android Auto (with the new interface), although I found it to be pretty buggy. Android Auto continued to work normally even after accepting the upgrade from Android 9 to Android 10 on the phone.

3. Yesterday I plugged the phone into the truck and Android Auto did not start. Since then I have tried a few things to try to get things reset so I can pair the two devices as if they were both brand new:

• Clear cache and storage on the Android Auto and Google apps on the phone. (Note: Android 10 does not appear to have "Google Play Services" any longer).
  • Downgrade Android Auto to the version that comes preinstalled with Android 10 and cannot be removed (4.3.591844-release)
  • Tried a different USB cable (in fact, the official one that came with my Pixel)
Nothing seems to work. Caveat: this morning I plugged the phone into the truck and nothing happened, but after about 2 minutes of driving, the truck recognized the phone and began Android Auto setup. I was able to complete that setup. On the uConnect display, it asked if I wanted to "try the new Android Auto" and I tapped to accept. It prompted me to unplug/plug the phone, which I did. From that point forward, I was back to where I started -- the truck won't recognize the phone. I have been unable to reproduce this spontaneous connection/setup-after-a-delay phenomenon, no matter what I try.

For what it's worth, I work as a software engineer and know my way around Android really well and I'm a good troubleshooter. I have not been able to put my finger on what changed to cause this behavior to start. Pretty frustrating, though.

I still see play services in Android 10 I am using a Pixel 2XL If you can find it it may be worth a shot clearing that app as well. I had a similar experience when the "new Android auto" update came out.

ryanc111

Reaction score

Having similar challenges here with the Pixel 3. I first noticed it when I downloaded the Android 10 beta and just assumed that it was related to the beta although others had had success. Now on the RC version I’m probably about 50/50 whether it works or not.

I’ve tried multiple cables as well and near as I can tell whether it works or not is related to how well the cable (any cable) seats in the bottom of the phone. When I’ve been able to get it to work is when I fiddled with that connection. Not sure if the new version of Android/Android Auto is more sensitive to a solid connection or not but it seems that way.

That being said, I have been able to get it to charge via cable without AA working so not positive that this is the culprit. But when it works its happened when I mess with the cable. This is complicated by the fact that I didn’t use AA a ton before the upgrade so can’t be 100% positive that this is related to the new version and not a degradation of my charging port.

Not very helpful eh? ;)

upstateram

Reaction score
I still see play services in Android 10 I am using a Pixel 2XL If you can find it it may be worth a shot clearing that app as well. I had a similar experience when the "new Android auto" update came out.
That turned out to be it. I was looking for Play Services under Play Store > Installed Apps instead of Settings > Apps. Once I found it, I cleared it's storage and was able to re-pair. Everything is working smoothly now.

Users who are viewing this thread