5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto issues

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody have any advice ,picked up ram on Saturday with 12" screen AA connected once and haven't been able to connect again, I had truck for a couple of hours before buying and phone and Android Auto worked fine. I purposely did this because of problems I read about, anyway after buying. I started getting device not supported messages even with nothing plugged in or paired. This appears to resolve by resetting radio . Phone now pairs, messages download but can't get Android Auto to launch on radio. Tried clearing info from radio, reset by disconnecting battery, various different cable inc. brand new USB 3.0 cable. I even wiped phone and reset. My phone connects and launches Android Auto with other car. Uconnect website says software is up to date but I see there may be new software coming based on other thread. Just trying to see if it's something I'm missing or software related.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

SpaceInvaderPro

Reaction score
I know you said you just bought a new USB cable, but you might try a different brand. I had the same issue with my Pixel until I used a Google official cable. Then everything works fine.

To make issues even weirder, it matters on OTHER cables as well. My wife had some gas station brand pink iPhone cable plugged in and her iPhone kept trying to take over with car play. Couldn't play audio from my phone while hers was plugged in. Finally swapped her cable out for an apple official cable and everything works fine. Doesn't have any weird issues anymore when we are both plugged in.

Not sure if this will solve your problem, but there can be weird ghosts with different cables.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another thing to try is to delete your phone from the Projection Manager in Bluetooth settings, then plug it back in.

My device doesn't even show up in projection manager.
I know you said you just bought a new USB cable, but you might try a different brand. I had the same issue with my Pixel until I used a Google official cable. Then everything works fine.

To make issues even weirder, it matters on OTHER cables as well. My wife had some gas station brand pink iPhone cable plugged in and her iPhone kept trying to take over with car play. Couldn't play audio from my phone while hers was plugged in. Finally swapped her cable out for an apple official cable and everything works fine. Doesn't have any weird issues anymore when we are both plugged in.

Not sure if this will solve your problem, but there can be weird ghosts with different cables.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm going to continue trying different cables, I originally tried my cable that came with my OnePlus 7pro which is supposed to be a high grade cable to handle the hi amp warp charging. The new cable was cable recommended by someone having similar uconnect issues. The crazy part is when I plug in an old ipod touch the radio doesn't even recognize it as an input. I would suspect it is an radio issue if I didn't see it work once already. I tried connecting my daughter's iPhone and couldn't get carplay to activate but I wasn't sure if it was plug and play because I'm no iPhone expert. I suspect I have a dealer visit in my future.

bjevers

Reaction score
My device doesn't even show up in projection manager.

I'm going to continue trying different cables, I originally tried my cable that came with my OnePlus 7pro which is supposed to be a high grade cable to handle the hi amp warp charging. The new cable was cable recommended by someone having similar uconnect issues. The crazy part is when I plug in an old ipod touch the radio doesn't even recognize it as an input. I would suspect it is an radio issue if I didn't see it work once already. I tried connecting my daughter's iPhone and couldn't get carplay to activate but I wasn't sure if it was plug and play because I'm no iPhone expert. I suspect I have a dealer visit in my future.
BTW, I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro also. It's worked with a few different cables I've tried. Do you have it paired through Bluetooth also?

dano257

Reaction score
I had problems with the Android Auto as well. I bought 3 different USB cables with no luck. I then used the USB charger cable that came with the Samsung S10 and it has worked perfectly for several months.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lots of threads on this. All of these things: cables, resets, updated firmware, etc will work for a while but there is a major glitch with the usb hub. If you continue to have glitches you will have to get your USB Hub replaced. I went from have those recurring gremlins to ZERO issues since the USB Hub replaced.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some cables are charge only and some are data and charge cables. I would recommend using the usb c cables since they have the best bandwidth. I have been using one and never had any issues with my android auto.

GunnyZXR

Reaction score
My AA worked once when i first bought it, then nothing, I went and updated my phone, and now it works perfectly, every time. I'd give it a try, no matter how new, or updated you think your phone is.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BTW, I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro also. It's worked with a few different cables I've tried. Do you have it paired through Bluetooth also?

Just got back from dealer, they say the radio is bad and placed order for new one, says it has been averaging 2-3 weeks to come in.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from dealer, they say the radio is bad and placed order for new one, says it has been averaging 2-3 weeks to come in.

The problem is the people working on your truck are mechanics not software engineers. They're used to just replace it if it doesn't work. That normally isn't the case with software. It's probably a software issue but since they aren't programmers there is nothing else they can do. Its unfortunate that things like this are being deemed replaceable rather than just fixing the actual issue. It's the reason why there are so many issues with this truck. It pretty much runs on software and congrats we're all beta testers.

Daddio

Reaction score
Somehow, I've lost Android Auto functionality. It used to work just fine. Once my S10 updated to some version that no longer shows an Android Auto icon, it cannot connect via the radio. However,
I just rented a Chevy SUV and my phone with the same USB cable that worked in my Ram before worked perfectly. So, it has to be the radio or the USB hub. Looks like I'm going to have to take it in to the dealer and show them that my phone and their radio won't work.

Last edited:

bjevers

Reaction score
Somehow, I've lost Android Auto functionality. It used to work just fine. Once my S10 updated to some version that no longer shows an Android Auto icon, it cannot connect via the radio. However,
I just rented a Chevy SUV and my phone with the same USB cable that worked in my Ram before worked perfectly. So, it has to be the radio or the USB hub. Looks like I'm going to have to take it in to the dealer and show them that my phone and their phone won't work.
One thing to try is to delete your phone from the Projection Manager in Bluetooth settings, then plug it back in.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Deleting from projection Manger works every time. But keep disconnecting every 10 to 15 minutes.

Reverse

Reaction score
For me, disconnecting phone from cable, then rebooting phone, and the reconnecting cable usually works. Sometimes I also have to restart truck - this is rare though.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I had problems with my Android Auto (AA) after my phone updated to Android 11 OneUI 3.0. What I did to fix it was turn off battery optimization for AA. I have a Samsung S20+, so I'm hoping the following path works for you as well. Settings-->Apps-->three dots-->Special Access-->Battery Optimization then turn off battery optimization for AA.

Users who are viewing this thread