5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto Dropping Out

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know if there has been recent software update or what but my Android Auto is not working right. It has always worked great but about two weeks ago it started cutting in and out. Now it will just suddenly drop while driving down the road. I can unplug my phone and hook up via Bluetooth just fine for music but it does not give me the features of android auto. The map and directions is the biggest feature to me.

I have tried restarts. I cleared the cache and it worked for a couple hours. Not sure what is up.

Has anyone else had problems?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if there has been recent software update or what but my Android Auto is not working right. It has always worked great but about two weeks ago it started cutting in and out. Now it will just suddenly drop while driving down the road. I can unplug my phone and hook up via Bluetooth just fine for music but it does not give me the features of android auto. The map and directions is the biggest feature to me.

I have tried restarts. I cleared the cache and it worked for a couple hours. Not sure what is up.

Same here. Has been solid for ages, now very intermittent, thought that the USB cable/port on the phone was giving out.
I am keeping an eye on it, I want my WAZE up and running...

Maccam

Reaction score

my whole system is not right,cuts out,shuts down,cant use maps etc,just yesterday it shut down rebooted and gave me this error message"uconnect box requires service"
please visit an authorized dealer.havent had a chance to call dealer yet.
when using android auto,do u always plug your phone into a usb port,or bluetooth??

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
my whole system is not right,cuts out,shuts down,cant use maps etc,just yesterday it shut down rebooted and gave me this error message"uconnect box requires service"
please visit an authorized dealer.havent had a chance to call dealer yet.
when using android auto,do u always plug your phone into a usb port,or bluetooth??
For 2021 the only way it works is to plug it in. Bluetooth connects for audio and phone but not to control through the screen. I just listen to Spotify via Bluetooth now.

I have to see the dealer about my seat soon as it just feels like all the support is gone but I just can't find the time. Work has us busy as can be these days. I will get the radio checked then. Kind of want to make sure bad weather is gone too. If they keep it I drive my Lincoln and I hate taking it out in the salt.

Bigbags85

Reaction score

Mine started doing that as well after the last update. I have not tried to do another factory reset yet (as I just did one to try and get the weather to work).

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I cleared the cache for Andriod Auto app on my phone again. It has been working a couple of days. I'll see how long it lasts.

BigD

Reaction score
Android Auto has not been working very well for a few months now. It's not the truck & it's not my phone. It cuts out in our Kia also. Waze seems to work better than google maps, but still will freeze up occasionally. Have to unplug it & plug it back in. I hope Android Auto does something soon!!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Android Auto has not been working very well for a few months now. It's not the truck & it's not my phone. It cuts out in our Kia also. Waze seems to work better than google maps, but still will freeze up occasionally. Have to unplug it & plug it back in. I hope Android Auto does something soon!!
Try going into your phone settings and clear the cache for the app.

I also noticed the other day that it hooked up via Bluetooth and then would not recognize the plug. I turned off Bluetooth for a moment, plugged in and it worked fine. I then turned Bluetooth back on. Don't know why that happened.

badpewterz

Reaction score
one other aspect to check is the actual cable. weird yes BUT in both my truck and the wifes telluride they are very sensitive to the cables. you need a high quality cable capable of good data transfer. to the point ive had cables that work great for months and then have to be installed with one side of the plug up ( usb C) then stops working. a new cable will then work great for months again. i will say the ram isnt as bad as the wifes telluride but none the less a cable could be the culprit

food for thought

ravenger

Reaction score
I had the same issues and ended up buying a wireless android auto adapter. I bought the motorola mA1 adapter and as soon as I get in my truck it links up to my phone instantly. no more issues. i did have to get a wireless charger so it wouldn't try to link up twice whenever I tried to charge it.

Johnny Grand

Reaction score
I’ve been having the exact same issues as you fellas the last month or so. Super frustrating for a $60k truck.
Ravenger how is your wireless adapter doing? I was wondering about those.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Slight Bump. I've had my truck for a little over a week and I'm also trying to deal with the finicky Android Auto experience. Overall, Android Auto is pretty good when it works, and it's worth mentioning that my phone's USB port is not great (regardless of what cable I use).

So far, this is my understanding of Android Auto:
Android Auto is not transmitted by Bluetooth. The Bluetooth only establishes a handshake between the phone and vehicle. I think call and music audio might travel through the BT, but overall, the interface only works through USB or 5Ghz Direct Wi-Fi.

In practice, the Bluetooth is supposed to let the phone and car know they're near, then a password is shared to establish a Wi-Fi data connection. It should all happen automatically and then Android Auto should simply come up on the screen. For most of us, that isn't happening. The Bluetooth is pairing, but it's unable to establish that second data link, so it's just stuck in "connecting" status. The solution is to either plug in the USB or manually initiate a wireless connection. Because the USB isn't a great option for my phone, here's what I have to do EVERY TIME I start my Ram:
-Open up my phone and go to settings.
-Browse: Settings > Connected devices > Android Auto > +Connect a Car > Connect using wireless Android Auto
---(I tried to create a shortcut on my phone's home screen, but I've been unsuccessful)
-From there, The Wi-Fi will connect and Android Auto will usually come up on my screen.
-If it doesn't, I'll push and hold the Voice Command button on my steering wheel and that does the trick.
-Android Auto will continue to work with no major issues for the rest of the trip.

I do have one other problem with Android Auto: Music will drop out.
I'll still have sound from my Nav and Android Auto will still work in every other way, but the music will be muted despite it clearly advancing through the song.

I think it has something to do with voice commands or google speech. I've found that I can sometimes go to my phone's keyboard and the google voice will be actively listening, which mutes the audio. I've found a quicker solution is to simply press the radio's power button off and back on really quick and everything will return back to normal.

For both problems, the quirk seems to be on the Phone's side. I'm not sure if it would act differently if I got a newer phone, but Android Auto is definitely buggy.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Slight Bump. I've had my truck for a little over a week and I'm also trying to deal with the finicky Android Auto experience. Overall, Android Auto is pretty good when it works, and it's worth mentioning that my phone's USB port is not great (regardless of what cable I use).

So far, this is my understanding of Android Auto:
Android Auto is not transmitted by Bluetooth. The Bluetooth only establishes a handshake between the phone and vehicle. I think call and music audio might travel through the BT, but overall, the interface only works through USB or 5Ghz Direct Wi-Fi.

In practice, the Bluetooth is supposed to let the phone and car know they're near, then a password is shared to establish a Wi-Fi data connection. It should all happen automatically and then Android Auto should simply come up on the screen. For most of us, that isn't happening. The Bluetooth is pairing, but it's unable to establish that second data link, so it's just stuck in "connecting" status. The solution is to either plug in the USB or manually initiate a wireless connection. Because the USB isn't a great option for my phone, here's what I have to do EVERY TIME I start my Ram:
-Open up my phone and go to settings.
-Browse: Settings > Connected devices > Android Auto > +Connect a Car > Connect using wireless Android Auto
---(I tried to create a shortcut on my phone's home screen, but I've been unsuccessful)
-From there, The Wi-Fi will connect and Android Auto will usually come up on my screen.
-If it doesn't, I'll push and hold the Voice Command button on my steering wheel and that does the trick.
-Android Auto will continue to work with no major issues for the rest of the trip.

I do have one other problem with Android Auto: Music will drop out.
I'll still have sound from my Nav and Android Auto will still work in every other way, but the music will be muted despite it clearly advancing through the song.

I think it has something to do with voice commands or google speech. I've found that I can sometimes go to my phone's keyboard and the google voice will be actively listening, which mutes the audio. I've found a quicker solution is to simply press the radio's power button off and back on really quick and everything will return back to normal.

For both problems, the quirk seems to be on the Phone's side. I'm not sure if it would act differently if I got a newer phone, but Android Auto is definitely buggy.
My main problem is the music dropping out from time to time. Usually if I just pause and unpause the music it'll come back. On occasion I will have to close the app and reload the music but more often than not the pause works.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
For the record, I did solve most of my issues.
-Battery saver was messing up my ability to instantly connect. I created an exception in my phone's settings.
-Rarely the music cuts out while playing. I think it has something to do with AA getting confused if audio is coming from my Nav app or Music app. I quick Off and On (power button on the volume knob) seems to get the music back.

Grouper

Reaction score
This really is a frustrating issue. It had gotten so bad, I rarely connect the phone via USB cable. But yesterday, I had a long drive and really needed to use Waze.

Sometimes Android Auto is stable for hours. Other times, it drops out repeatedly over the course of several minutes. Yesterday, it did drop out a few times when the phone was simply sitting in the cup holder. But it seemed to do so more frequently with the phone in my hand, which leads me to believe it could actually be a finicky USB cable connection issue.

I just ordered a new cable and will give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread