5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto and UConnect lag

yodahog

Reaction score
Whenever I have my Galaxy S10+ plugged in and am using Android Auto, it significantly decreases the responsiveness of my UConnect system, primarily when changing channels on SiriusXM.

Has anyone else experienced this?

LV426

Reaction score
The entire Android Auto experience is disappointing, but I'm not sure whos at fault... (Glitchy, Volume issues, Lag, Hangs) This is one of those situations where to many "things" are involved, is it the Uconnect app, is it the 12" radio, is it Android Auto itself or the phone ??? I love spending money on all this crap only to have it function like garbage and then wind up not even using it 🙂
I incorrectly assumed that switching to one of Googles phones would make things better and so far it did not...

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I have a Motorola RAZR 2020 phone (Android 10), and it seems to lose pairing info randomly every few days. I got it paired, set as favorite, granted access to everything, and even uploaded some favorite contacts to the screen - then, a few days later, it's all gone and neither of them recognize each other, so I have to start the process all over again.

I also have an iPhone XR (for work), and when it pairs up, it stays solid, but because UConnect isn't as 'smart' as the aftermarket JVC system in my 2012 Lonestar, it tends to pick 'the favorite' as whichever one connects first, so the iPhone won every time (which is NOT cool... it's just a work phone). The aftermarket JVC was cool because it would allow multiple phones to pair, display them, and whichever one came up with something active, it would defer to it, then back to 'idle' mode when finished... I could also pick which phone I wanted to make active (to make a call, for instance... I never streamed audio, just the radio, CD, or USB for me). Paired 'em once about 18 months ago, never had to again.

The UConnect's behavior had me thinking that the iPhone was causing the RAZR to get bumped, so I de-paired the iPhone for the UConnect to not get confused anymore. That's when I discovered there's [apparently] an issue with Android & UConnect staying as friends from day to day, as yesterday there simply weren't any phones connected when I hopped in, despite having both phones with me.

So basically, UConnect is dumping its relationship with my RAZR every few days or so... any ideas? Is there a UConnect App I can install to the phone to help things? Is there a UConnect update available (and how would one figure out the current version and d/ & install said update, anyway?)

Otherwise, and except for the crappy 3-band EQ with the H-Ks, UConnect 12 is working pretty well in my 2021 after 2 weeks of owning it.

Last edited:

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Update: So, I hopped in the truck this morning, plugged my RAZR into the USB #2 as normal (that thing is a battery hog, even just being 'On') and when I got to the parking lot I noticed the 'Phone' icon on the bottom row was showing a blank, generic phone (normally, it shows the Bluetooth icon when the RAZR is paired). I opened it up, and it said that no phones were paired. OK, it just did it again... or so I thought. Then I noticed the Android icon, and it opened up the split screen with my phone's app stack on the top screen section. Now how did it do that, if the phone wasn't paired? I know... it's plugged in, after all... I decided to unplug it, and when I did the Android icon disappeared, replaced by the Bluetooth icon. I clicked on the BT icon and there's my RAZR, now showing that it's paired up and everything. That was a little unexpected, but makes sense. It still doesn't explain why the phone de-paired itself the other day, but I'm still working through the nuances here. I still fully expect it to de-pair the RAZR any time within the next few days.

Now my question is: Is there any way to turn USB #2 into a 'charging only' slot? I understand that USBs 1, 2 & 3 are full service USB slots, and #4 is a charge-only slot, but short of running the charging cable all the way from the back of the center console to the front section under the UConnect, that's the only thing I can think of to make the hands-free phone features work properly (my RAZR fits perfectly in the little cubby where the CD player should be, and the [work] iPhone keeps it from sliding out when it's in the wireless charging slot - a nice arrangement, actually). I prefer using the UConnect's phone features to pulling up my phone's apps on the Android Auto screen, after all... it's just easier to me.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now my question is: Is there any way to turn USB #2 into a 'charging only' slot?
You can buy a 'charge only' cable that won't pass data. There are also data blocking USB plugs so you can use any cable. There's another charge only port under the center armrest too.

Charge only cable- https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-Block-Charge-USB-C-100cm/dp/B07D9QTDJ8

Data blocker-

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Another Update: So, Saturday afternoon I hop in the truck and decide not to plug-in the phone (haven't gotten the 'charging only' cable yet... should've gotten one while I was in Best Buy that day, now that I think about it... dang it!). I was expecting it to pair up to UConnect via Bluetooth... Nope. Nada. UConnect said 'no phones paired,' and the RAZR didn't have UConnect on the list of paired devices.

I'm at a loss.

There's nothing [I can find] in the Android menu on the RAZR that says anything about automatically connecting, disconnecting after so many days, or anything like that. There's also nothing in the UConnect menu saying the same, either. So does UConnect just hate Android so much that it won't allow a recurring BT connection to last more than 5 days? I'm in this truck daily, and never had this issue with the 2012 aftermarket JVC system, my wife's '15 Camaro RS, or even my '71 Mach 1's Retrosound stereo. I'm having a hard time with this because my pal has a 2019 w/a UConnect 8" and the same phone as I do (he's the reason I got mine, as a matter of fact). I realize that the difference might be between the UConnect 8 & 12 units and/or software, but surely I can't be the only one with a UConnect 12 and a Motorola RAZR 2020 phone. I had to delete other peoples' pairings out of the list of paired devices on UConnect after I got the truck, as well, so I know it's gotta be an issue specific to this version of Android or the RAZR itself... although, UConnect is not much help with regards to its settings, that much I can say. I suppose I need to hit up a RAZR 2020 forum now, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread