5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am considering a new Ford Hybrid??

jljbtm

Reaction score
Hear me out!
Because... They say 22MPG and towing capacities of 12000 + and a home generator if I need it besides my Ram is a 2019 and 65,000 miles with a bad front axel and needing brakes and tires, not top mention out of warranty. I expect some flak but like I said I am considering since the Ram 5.7 doesnt compare very well.
What say you???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hear me out!
Because... They say 22MPG and towing capacities of 12000 + and a home generator if I need it besides my Ram is a 2019 and 65,000 miles with a bad front axel and needing brakes and tires, not top mention out of warranty. I expect some flak but like I said I am considering since the Ram 5.7 doesnt compare very well.
What say you???
Have fun.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hear me out!
What say you???
Okay, I'll bite. Spring wrap (leaf) was a negative for me when I was comparing, and the oval and bowtie products both have it. I wanted 4WD, F150 was a bit lighter-duty and had that awful split front axle, GM wanted to force me into a big block engine to get a dual range transfer case. I think most of those things are still true. You decide what's important to you...

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hear me out!
What say you???
So you want a ford hybrid because your ram is out of warranty and you need an axle, brakes and tires? What are you gonna do when your Ford hybrid needs brakes and tires? Sounds like you are just cheap and should be considering maybe a honda or toyota car.

Michigan_E

Reaction score
The “PowerBoost’ isn’t much better in real world driving and mileage. Honestly the 2.7 Ecoboost is one of the cheapest options in the F150, but it gets phenomenal gas mileage for a truck, and is quicker than the 5.0.

Swapped my Grand Cherokee 3.6 with my Brother in Law’s ‘19 2.7 F150 for a bit. It got better mileage, had more room and more utility than the GC. It’s the reason I ended up ordering a truck. Ford just couldn’t compete with the price I got on the RAM.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford’s towing numbers are such a joke. They make the truck lighter with aluminum to bring down the weight of the truck so they can bump up their payload and towing numbers. But then towing anything heavy with them is a worse experience because the truck is lighter.

That being said I owned a 2013 F150 with the eco boost and the towing power was awesome. Unfortunately I ended up having it for only a year because of the common issues you used to hear about with the eco boost.

I have two close buddies who just bought new f150’s and they both avoided the ecoboost and powerboost and went with the 5.0, they are very nice trucks. I think the powerboost is a cool idea but I wouldn’t want to deal with repair costs on that when the warranty is up. But I guess you can say that with just about anything.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hear me out!
What say you???
Go all the way and get a Lightning.

BigD

Reaction score
U obviously got the money to buy whatever u want, so why not try out a Ford ? If u don't like it trade it in in 3 yrs & buy something else. Like I said obviously money isn't an issue, so go for it. Whatever floats your boat. I bought a Ram because my last one was descent, & the price was right. Honestly I'd buy whatever I can get the best deal on. Saving money is what's most important to me. All trucks have similar reliability ratings, which is like 3 out of 5 stars. It's all luck of the draw, as far as if your going to have problems or not. I'd love to keep my truck 15 years if it doesn't nickel & dime me. If I was wealthy like u, I'd get a new truck every 3 years as soon as the bumper to bumper warranty expired. I'd try a different brand every time. The new Toyota Tundra looks pretty sweet. If I could afford it, I'd get the new F150 lightening. Heck, why not a Tesla? It i really had the funds, I'd get a TRX for weekend fun, & something else for commuting. Live it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think long and hard about how you're going to use it, are you really going to use the "generator" capability? How often would you use it, boondocking, job site power etc. or do you just want it as a novelty.
Take some test drives, I'm sure the powerboost will absolutely wow with the power...but look at the rest of the truck, feel the ride...how does it compare to your RAM.

whatever you do...make sure you DON'T get the 10 speed...
Ha. Yeah, that's the only option with the powerboost.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I came in here for the lulz and am a little disappointed at how tame this is so far.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I came in here for the lulz and am a little disappointed at how tame this is so far.
On it.

The PowerBoost only comes with a 3.73 rear end. You can get a 3.92 in the Ram.

Get the Ram with the right gears. Problem solved.

coffee-hotel-diablo.gif

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hear me out!
What say you???
If needing new tires is part of the reason for getting a Ford, I know a guy selling some great Nittos with about 8,000 miles on them! 😜

Quint

Reaction score
I was a long-time Ford owner (owned five of them) and finally tried every brand in 2015 before settling on a Ram. I am now on my second one and can't believe the difference in quality, not only interior but just mechanical. Everyone's experience may be different, and individual trucks are all unique, but I have been generally much happier in the Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread