5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative to Rockford Fosgate DSR1?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Doing all of my due diligence for stereo upgrade (Alpine system, 12" Nav). Currently planning to add 2 amps, a 4 channel to run the dash and doors, and a mono to run a sub enclosure. Will be replacing the speakers as well, but that's beside the point.

I was originally planning to use the PAC AmpPro AP4-CH21 for the connections, but it seems like the RF DSR1 would be a much better option for a comparable price. But, when I started looking, I can't find it in stock anywhere. Crutchfield, any local shops, even Amazon. One place on Ebay, has it, but at a ridiculous price... Are there any other combination amp interface/dsp's similar to the dsr1, in the same price range? The other dsp's I've seen, even stand alone, appear to be significantly more expensive, than just the dsr1.

Otto

Reaction score
Depending on the rest of the gear you plan on using the PAC unit could work just fine and you could look at the Audiocontrol D series or JL VXi amplifiers that have the DSP built into them.

A lot of installs I've seen using the Audiocontrol D series for the 4-channel option to run fronts and rears and then use the output to run a standard sub amplifier. The DSP in the four channel is used for all channels in the system including the sub.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on the rest of the gear you plan on using the PAC unit could work just fine and you could look at the Audiocontrol D series or JL VXi amplifiers that have the DSP built into them.

A lot of installs I've seen using the Audiocontrol D series for the 4-channel option to run fronts and rears and then use the output to run a standard sub amplifier. The DSP in the four channel is used for all channels in the system including the sub.

That’s exactly what I was thinking- one of JL’s fix-86 or a dsp amp would be a good solution.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the DSR1 in my Durango and pure trash...it kept changing settings, dropping bluetooth connection. Not sure if they updated anything but I pulled it and have it sitting in a box. I would 100% go with the PAC audio and a DSP or the JL vxi amps. There is also the maestro ar that I replaced the dsr1 with it worked great. It puts an aftermarket amp in place of the factory amp: https://www.idatalinkmaestro.com/en/products/maestro-ar

tyromeo55

Reaction score

This is kinda the route taking. I'm getting the signal thru a modified ANC-ch01 and sending the hi-level front signal to a D-4.800 for a front set of Morel comopnents, RCA output from that amps DSP to A LC-1.800 for a sub (TBD). The Radios rear channels go to a ACM-2.300 feeding a pair of morel 6x9 coaxial speakers to get me rear fill and some more volume. Just need the time to install it all and decide on what sub to go with. I was thinking a old round SOLO 12 that I have but a pair of Q class 8's and an MBE enclosure has peaked my interest lately

Mactara

Reaction score
Watching this space...

Doing similar set up, however slightly different. Have a 2020 Ram Sport Alpine with 12" screen.

The plan is to replace all speakers (dash 3.5", front and rear 6x9's) with Infinity Reference - gonna use the 3-ways for the front and rear. I also have two Fosgate P3 10" subs that will be installed in a Fox Accoustics ported box.

I'm looking at a 3 amp plus DSP set up. I have Rockford Fosgate P300x2 for the dash high level 3.5", P600x4 for front and rear doors 6x9's and a P1000 mono amp for the subs. I have the PAC Amp Pro AP4 CH41 for the Signal which I'm gonna use to send the signal back with the TOSLINK cable to the Audio Control DM810.

I've ordered the APH-CH03 Harness (still hasn't come in) but wanted to know if I can send a seperate signal thru the harness direct to the two front dash speakers or if I'm gonna have to run seperate speaker wires from the P300x2? I'm hoping that by by passing the factory amp, I can send signal direct from the new ampntonthe dash speakers.

Is there a wiring diagram available for the ram audio systems?

Otto

Reaction score
Watching this space...

Doing similar set up, however slightly different. Have a 2020 Ram Sport Alpine with 12" screen.

The plan is to replace all speakers (dash 3.5", front and rear 6x9's) with Infinity Reference - gonna use the 3-ways for the front and rear. I also have two Fosgate P3 10" subs that will be installed in a Fox Accoustics ported box.

I'm looking at a 3 amp plus DSP set up. I have Rockford Fosgate P300x2 for the dash high level 3.5", P600x4 for front and rear doors 6x9's and a P1000 mono amp for the subs. I have the PAC Amp Pro AP4 CH41 for the Signal which I'm gonna use to send the signal back with the TOSLINK cable to the Audio Control DM810.

I've ordered the APH-CH03 Harness (still hasn't come in) but wanted to know if I can send a seperate signal thru the harness direct to the two front dash speakers or if I'm gonna have to run seperate speaker wires from the P300x2? I'm hoping that by by passing the factory amp, I can send signal direct from the new ampntonthe dash speakers.

I believe the three and a half inch speakers in the dash are wired in either series or parallel with the front door speakers, so you will need to run new wiring for the dash if you want to control them separately from the door speakers.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Watching this space...

I believe you’ll be needing these
4F8575B3-52F8-4DA0-9E16-B1CB50ECFD84.jpeg

Otto

Reaction score
This is kinda the route taking. I'm getting the signal thru a modified ANC-ch01 and sending the hi-level front signal to a D-4.800 for a front set of Morel comopnents, RCA output from that amps DSP to A LC-1.800 for a sub (TBD). The Radios rear channels go to a ACM-2.300 feeding a pair of morel 6x9 coaxial speakers to get me rear fill and some more volume. Just need the time to install it all and decide on what sub to go with. I was thinking a old round SOLO 12 that I have but a pair of Q class 8's and an MBE enclosure has peaked my interest lately

I'm heading the same route with my install whenever the temperatures get reasonable around here again. Are you running all new wiring or utilizing the factory harness?
ef5bdcbb4a2eb2a376e3066e6dfe7065.jpg

tyromeo55

Reaction score
Watching this space...

I am under the impression that the dash speakers are directly drive off of the head unit and dont go to the ANC. My plan is to unhook them all together and put the tweeters from my MOREl set in the door sail
I'm heading the same route with my install whenever the temperatures get reasonable around here again. Are you running all new wiring or utilizing the factory harness?
Gotta add wires for the front doors so I can individually feed the tweeter and midbass drivers. I have a 25x44 shop to do the install and a box full of all the parts (unless I do the Q class 8s). Just no time. Im expecting the truck to be down for a couple days. Going to also do the passive entry and dynamat at the same time so I'll have to pull most of the interior

805myth1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Big Horn with the Alpine system and I used the DSR1 to integrate my aftermarket amplifiers. There are a few issues that it has but other than those issues it works great. First issue is the Bluetooth failed connection on the app start up and the second is that it doesn’t play well with android phones.

What I like about it; only 1 module to integrate and the built in dsp together. Also the T harness has speaker leads to run the speaker wires to the amplifiers. Also tuning is so simple and easy.

Brunzca

Reaction score
I had the DSR1 in my Durango and pure trash...it kept changing settings, dropping bluetooth connection. Not sure if they updated anything but I pulled it and have it sitting in a box. I would 100% go with the PAC audio and a DSP or the JL vxi amps. There is also the maestro ar that I replaced the dsr1 with it worked great. It puts an aftermarket amp in place of the factory amp: https://www.idatalinkmaestro.com/en/products/maestro-ar

After looking at the options posted here, this looks like it might offer the most budget-friendly option to get a dsp setup.. Considering the AudioControl starts around $850, and the JL's are all $1100+, that might not be realistic for me. Yes, I know, you get what you pay for. But, I've got other things to pay for at the moment

Looking at the maestro AR site, it's compatible with the Kenwood Exceleron P-Xr600, 6 Channel DSP, and I can get that combo for around $300. That will put out 75 x 6 Ch @ 4Ohms, which is plenty for my main amp. And, since it's 6ch, I guess I could re-wire the 2 dash speakers independently, too (or run it to the rear headliners). So, would be PAC AmpPro, then Kenwood/Maestro AR set up for the main, and still deciding on a sub setup, but probably a 600w mono, to push 2 10s in the 250RMS/500peak range.

Anyone used/using this Kenwood?

Alternatively - I may have found another place that has the DSR1 in stock., but after hearing a couple bad reviews, I'm rethinking that.

Otto

Reaction score
After looking at the options posted here, this looks like it might offer the most budget-friendly option to get a dsp setup.. Considering the AudioControl starts around $850, and the JL's are all $1100+, that might not be realistic for me. Yes, I know, you get what you pay for. But, I've got other things to pay for at the moment

Looking at the maestro AR site, it's compatible with the Kenwood Exceleron P-Xr600, 6 Channel DSP, and I can get that combo for around $300. That will put out 75 x 6 Ch @ 4Ohms, which is plenty for my main amp. And, since it's 6ch, I guess I could re-wire the 2 dash speakers independently, too (or run it to the rear headliners). So, would be PAC AmpPro, then Kenwood/Maestro AR set up for the main, and still deciding on a sub setup, but probably a 600w mono, to push 2 10s in the 250RMS/500peak range.

Alternatively - I may have found another place that has the DSR1 in stock., but after hearing a couple bad reviews, I'm rethinking that.

Yes they are pricey pieces of equipment.

Going to ask a tough question here so please don't be offended. Will you really use the capabilities of the DSP or are looking to simply upgrade the volume/clarity and in doinf so you will need some high/low pass filters to protect the speakers?

Alternately if you are going to use the capabilities I've seen a fair number of folks use the below as a budget option.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Yes they are pricey pieces of equipment.

Going to ask a tough question here so please don't be offended. Will you really use the capabilities of the DSP or are looking to simply upgrade the volume/clarity and in doinf so you will need some high/low pass filters to protect the speakers?

Alternately if you are going to use the capabilities I've seen a fair number of folks use the below as a budget option.

No offense taken, at all! I appreciate the question. I really have no idea, yet, of how to utilize the DSP, and will need to learn. I like the idea of being able to manage the sound, and I really do want to be able to balance it out better. One of my major issues with the Ram head unit, is that I can't get the surround sound to work with XM, which I listen to 99% of the time. So, my thought is that with the DSP, not only can I tailor the sound to my own liking, but I can balance/fade it however I want (i.e. create my own "surround", from whatever source). Maybe I'm off base here, entirely.

I do want to get the most out of the quality - at this point, I'm looking at a set of Morel components for the dash tweeters/doors, and probably focal 3way 6x9s for the rear doors,. But, I've never owned a DSP, so I don't know what works and what doesn't yet. I think the stock alpine is decent, but it's not loud enough, needs more clarity (as you said), and I definitely need to add a sub enclosure, so I'm upgrading it all as I go.

Thanks - and again, no offense taken, I'm open to suggestion. I'm somewhat handy, but new to the audio part of the equation, so learning as I go

tyromeo55

Reaction score
The audio control stuff can be found way cheaper. Especially if you could get a good used one. It looks like the dsr1 pricy too and you’d still need an amplifier. Never heard of an issue with AC but have heard of problems on the RF

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The maestro ar and the kenwood amp is what I used in my Durango. I used all 6 channel for a set of 2 way components in the front and full range in the rear doors. I then connected another kenwood amp to a set of the outputs for a sub. Controlled it all through the app, great setup and simple. I'm putting all that gear in my girlfriend's Jeep.

805myth1

Reaction score
So, would be PAC AmpPro, then Kenwood/Maestro AR set up for the main, and still deciding on a sub setup, but probably a 600w mono, to push 2 10s in the 250RMS/500peak range.

You will not need the PAC module, the AR uses the same T harness as the DSR1 to connect to the factory harness and also it will have speaker wire leads to connect to the amplifier.

AR
8027C4E4-0EA7-4DC2-ACF3-302534674FE1.jpeg

DSR1
EE4E59E8-91AF-4AC5-B2F4-98551DD231FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Brunzca

Reaction score
You will not need the PAC module, the AR uses the same T harness as the DSR1 to connect to the factory harness and also it will have speaker wire leads to connect to the amplifier.

AR
View attachment 116153

DSR1
View attachment 116152
Great, thanks. The full instructions say to remove the factory amp - so that comes out entirely, and the Kenwood replaces it? Sorry, like I said, new to the audio install stuff. I'll watch some videos on it, but just starting to learn about the Kenwood/Maestro

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great, thanks. The full instructions say to remove the factory amp - so that comes out entirely, and the Kenwood replaces it? Sorry, like I said, new to the audio install stuff. I'll watch some videos on it, but just starting to learn about the Kenwood/Maestro
Yep, it really is a nice setup and I think as close to plug n play as you can get. That said, I was talking to my friend that works at a Kenwood dealer, the 600-6 might have been discontinued, so grab one if you see one. They don't have anymore in stock. Also, there are some other companies with amplifier/dsp combos that work with the maestro.

Users who are viewing this thread