5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlphaOBD voiding warranty?

bonce

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a slight issue and I am hoping there is someone here that can help me solve my problem. I have a 21 Ram Bighorn Eco. I put on the rough country level kit with shocks and put a slightly larger size tire on. I believe it is the same size as the Rebel. Anyway, I purchased a OBDlinkMX+, KaodTech bypass and AlphaOBD to adjust my tire size. I adjusted the tire size, removed the KaodTech from the truck and all has been good. Until my CEL light came on with 6k miles on the odometer. I plugged the OBDlink back in, and read the code P0088. High fuel pressure. Truck was still driving normal, but I brought it in to the dealer. They said they can tell there is a programmer installed and I must uninstall it because they can not diag the truck for warranty purposes with the programmer installed. Is there a step I could have missed after I got finished adjusting the tire size that would show a programmer is still there? If I need to I'll readjust the tire size back to stock and take it back, but the way the service manager made it seem, they would still see the programmer. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to lose my warranty.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some one else on here had their trans warranty voided due to it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonce

Reaction score
No I removed both the bypass and obdlink. Both were sitting in my house.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have them show you what they mean, I've had zero issues with anything AlfaOBD and dealership diagnoses. It doesn't install anything, it changes settings in the BCM and this would be the first time I've heard of anyone having an issue with it.

An alternative scenario is there may be a dealer-installed 3rd party tracking device (with a pass-through connector) attached to your OBDII system...and your dealer is mistaking it for a programmer? Dealers install that garbage all the time. I might be way off base with that one, but just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told by my Service Manager (one never knows how much smoke they're blowing) that all they have to do is look in your system with their software to see what has been changed and then cross reference it with Ram's electronic records to determine if those changes were done by a dealer or a third party such as you, a relative or some shop. He also stated - which I found hard to believe - that every time there is a change made to the settings, that the "connected" Rams (those with Uconnect) sends a signal they can see. The example he utilized was when someone installed a trailer brake and then programs the system themselves. He stated when one does that, it doesn't populate the Ram table for that VIN indicating the truck has a Ram trailer brake. He said their system flashes as soon as it sees the mismatch (if you take it in for work of any kind) and notifies the tech as well as make a note in the records for that VIN.

Please, please, please don't take this as Gospel as I'm just relaying what the Finnegan CJDR Service Manager stated last May months ago. Of course, this is the same Service Manager who can't seem to get an oil change done on any of our Rams without oil dripping, oil splattered or a spart wrench or socket left under the hood. I don't know if any of this is accurate, but he made it sound good...

TBEVO

Reaction score
Following as I will have to adjust my speedometer soon.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told by my Service Manager (one never knows how much smoke they're blowing) that all they have to do is look in your system with their software to see what has been changed and then cross reference it with Ram's electronic records to determine if those changes were done by a dealer or a third party such as you, a relative or some shop. He also stated - which I found hard to believe - that every time there is a change made to the settings, that the "connected" Rams (those with Uconnect) sends a signal they can see. The example he utilized was when someone installed a trailer brake and then programs the system themselves. He stated when one does that, it doesn't populate the Ram table for that VIN indicating the truck has a Ram trailer brake. He said their system flashes as soon as it sees the mismatch (if you take it in for work of any kind) and notifies the tech as well as make a note in the records for that VIN.

Please, please, please don't take this as Gospel as I'm just relaying what the Finnegan CJDR Service Manager stated last May months ago. Of course, this is the same Service Manager who can't seem to get an oil change done on any of our Rams without oil dripping, oil splattered or a spart wrench or socket left under the hood. I don't know if any of this is accurate, but he made it sound good...
Even IF (a big if) that were the case then they would be able to identify exactly what that change was and therefore your warranty would be safe. The only things not covered would apply to the components you made changes to (and obviously self-installed hardware). It would be illegal for them to cancel an entire warranty without proof your changes caused the issue, and there is no way they'd be able to say a tire size change in the BCM would cause high fuel pressure in this case.

And like I've said, I have not had any issues with this. I've made dozens of changes with AlfaOBD and have had my truck in for warranty service several times. They plug into it every time and not once have they said anything about it.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They don’t have to see what was changed. As soon as they see the counter that something was altered they can deny the warranty if they wish. It’s up to the dealer and if they send the data to ram.

It’s not illegal

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They don’t have to see what was changed. As soon as they see the counter that something was altered they can deny the warranty if they wish. It’s up to the dealer and if they send the data to ram.

It’s not illegal

To deny a warranty they have to prove the connection between the change and the failure. Requiring a service such as updating a tire size in the BCM to be performed by a dealer is a prohibited tie-in sales provision.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Technically speaking, it's certainly possible that they could do all of that, but it seems vindictive and paranoid for a dealer or manufacturer to go to those lengths to "keep an eye out" for ways to deny warranty coverage.

The part that sounds most sus to me is the bit about Uconnect. I can't get my system to tell me the weather, but I'm supposed to believe Ram can reliably keep tabs on a minor software change? Lol, nice try Ram...

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Technically speaking, it's certainly possible that they could do all of that, but it seems vindictive and paranoid for a dealer or manufacturer to go to those lengths to "keep an eye out" for ways to deny warranty coverage.

The part that sounds most sus to me is the bit about Uconnect. I can't get my system to tell me the weather, but I'm supposed to believe Ram can reliably keep tabs on a minor software change? Lol, nice try Ram...
I'm one of the people that can't even get the vehicle health reports because they can't get it to work on most of the Uconnect4 12 inch screens 🤣

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm one of the people that can't even get the vehicle health reports because they can't get it to work on most of the Uconnect4 12 inch screens 🤣
Lol, well, I can at least get to those in the app. I haven't been able to use the eco coaching or whatever it is because it keeps telling me to activate my system. Then I call and they tell me that it's already activated.o_O

bonce

Reaction score
Have them show you what they mean, I've had zero issues with anything AlfaOBD and dealership diagnoses. It doesn't install anything, it changes settings in the BCM and this would be the first time I've heard of anyone having an issue with it.

An alternative scenario is there may be a dealer-installed 3rd party tracking device (with a pass-through connector) attached to your OBDII system...and your dealer is mistaking it for a programmer? Dealers install that garbage all the time. I might be way off base with that one, but just thinking out loud.

This has me thinking. When I was hooking up the Koadtech bypass, there is another ODB2 style connector just above the actual ODB2 connector tucked behind the kick panel. It had a blue device plugged in, similar to my OBDlink. Anyone know what this is?

NorthStar, that sounds close to what she was saying. Basically they were saying that #1, their obd2 reader couldn't read my code, and #2 that they could tell in addition to the "programmer" that things were changed, so therefore they couldn't do it. I don't believe #1 because I can plug in my OBDlink and pull the codes, and I can use the scanner from Autozone and pull the code as well. #2 I could see, but I am also wondering if because it was an eco diesel, and I live in Delaware, no one wants to touch the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has me thinking. When I was hooking up the Koadtech bypass, there is another ODB2 style connector just above the actual ODB2 connector tucked behind the kick panel. It had a blue device plugged in, similar to my OBDlink. Anyone know what this is?
Pictures would help. Doesn't sound factory.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

NorthStar, that sounds close to what she was saying. Basically they were saying that #1, their obd2 reader couldn't read my code, and #2 that they could tell in addition to the "programmer" that things were changed, so therefore they couldn't do it. I don't believe #1 because I can plug in my OBDlink and pull the codes, and I can use the scanner from Autozone and pull the code as well. #2 I could see, but I am also wondering if because it was an eco diesel, and I live in Delaware, no one wants to touch the truck.
“It had a blue device plugged in, similar to my OBDlink…tucked behind kick panel” - this sounds like a GPS tracking device dealerships will install and charge you $1000. Did you pay for a GPS tracking service? I had one in my Ecodiesel that I didn’t pay for nor want so I uninstalled it.

Last edited:

bonce

Reaction score
20220209_204721.jpg this is the device I'm talking about. Its connected to the standard odb2 connector which you can see still connected in the factory location in the kickpanel. The OBD connector has a Curt Manufactoring sticker on it. I didnt record the p/n but how its put in looks factory. But that module in my hand looks odd. It has the s/n and fcc number, but I have no idea what it is.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 120139 this is the device I'm talking about. Its connected to the standard odb2 connector which you can see still connected in the factory location in the kickpanel. The OBD connector has a Curt Manufactoring sticker on it. I didnt record the p/n but how its put in looks factory. But that module in my hand looks odd. It has the s/n and fcc number, but I have no idea what it is.
I’d take it back to the dealer and explain to them what you found. That may be the “programmer” their system is seeing and they were referring…

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 120139 this is the device I'm talking about. Its connected to the standard odb2 connector which you can see still connected in the factory location in the kickpanel. The OBD connector has a Curt Manufactoring sticker on it. I didnt record the p/n but how its put in looks factory. But that module in my hand looks odd. It has the s/n and fcc number, but I have no idea what it is.
Ifthw dealer telling you about the programmer plugged in is the same one you bought the truck from, I would take it back and show them that device. Ask what it is and tell them you want it removed as it's not a factory item, and the dealer obviously installed it

Or just remove it yourself, out the OEM OBD2 connector back where it belongs. Then take it back to dealer. If they say it's good now, throw that in the desk and tell them they caused the issue by installing that.

Users who are viewing this thread