5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know. I've noticed there's an "extra" blank page on my dash cluster. Not sure what that would do for any reason so maybe I clicked something through there. Truck is a 2021 bighorn level 2 if anyone has similar. I would appreciate the help before feeling stupid at the dealership lol
The only thing the dealership can do for you is reflash your BCM to original according to your VIN. Anything you've done will be 'erased' and you can start over.

Technically since you did this (it's not a factory defect) they can charge you for the reflash. You can claim ignorance and tell them that your EVIC is doing weird things and ask them if there is a BCM update and request they reflash your BCM even if there isn't one "to see if it fixes the problem".

Plenty of uConnect updates hang and cause issues that a dealership has to re-install the last revision of the software to get rid of glitches.

Th8785

Reaction score
The only thing the dealership can do for you is reflash your BCM to original according to your VIN. Anything you've done will be 'erased' and you can start over.

Technically since you did this (it's not a factory defect) they can charge you for the reflash. You can claim ignorance and tell them that your EVIC is doing weird things and ask them if there is a BCM update and request they reflash your BCM even if there isn't one "to see if it fixes the problem".

Plenty of uConnect updates hang and cause issues that a dealership has to re-install the last revision of the software to get rid of glitches.
Good point. Only other thing I opened was looking at the different model backsplash or whatever it's called. I'll run through them again and see if maybe I clicked one on. Has to be something simple as I haven't actually changed anything as of yet. At least, not on purpose thanks for the advice

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good point. Only other thing I opened was looking at the different model backsplash or whatever it's called. I'll run through them again and see if maybe I clicked one on. Has to be something simple as I haven't actually changed anything as of yet. At least, not on purpose thanks for the advice

I'm speaking from ignorance (I don't, yet, own a copy of AlfaOBD), so take that for what it's worth. ;)

The other two auto software programs I own allow me to copy the configuration. The FIRST thing I do is just that: copy my stock configuration. (I also take screen shots of every page, so I have another way of verifying the stock settings.)

I have no idea if AlfaOBD lets you do that...and in your case, it seems that horse has left the barn. ;) But, maybe your experience will help the next guy?

I like the advice to let the dealership flash it to stock. That'll make sure nothing gets skipped and you'll have a known-good starting point again. FWIW.

Th8785

Reaction score
I'm speaking from ignorance (I don't, yet, own a copy of AlfaOBD), so take that for what it's worth. ;)

The other two auto software programs I own allow me to copy the configuration. The FIRST thing I do is just that: copy my stock configuration. (I also take screen shots of every page, so I have another way of verifying the stock settings.)

I have no idea if AlfaOBD lets you do that...and in your case, it seems that horse has left the barn. ;) But, maybe your experience will help the next guy?

I like the advice to let the dealership flash it to stock. That'll make sure nothing gets skipped and you'll have a known-good starting point again. FWIW.
I'm on vacation ATM. I'll be home next week and play with it. Can't be too serious, .almost betting I may have changed a skin or whatever it's called. But yes, once I get it squared way I will definitely make a log of stock settings lol. Didn't know that was a thing till too late😂

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

With the Windows version, there's a log file. Doesn't hurt to make a copy.

With the Android version, you're advised to upload the BCM log file to google drive (read system id) but there should also be a running log file of changes.

Th8785

Reaction score

With the Android version, you're advised to upload the BCM log file to google drive (read system id) but there should also be a running log file of changes.
I have the windows version so hopefully that can help. Thank you, will check as soon as I get home from vacation 🙄😂

DieselRebel

Reaction score

I am attaching a video of the location of the Security Module and plugs that need to be plugged into the bypass cable. I had to figure it out on my own, so hope this helps others. Total setup for Bypass cable, OBD2 scanner, and Alfa OBD software was around $90 for me. I have links for the products in the video description.

Last edited:

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I'm finally get around to using alpha and wondering I thought there was a setting to chande the chmsl to led bulbs?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm finally get around to using alpha and wondering I thought there was a setting to chande the chmsl to led bulbs?
There is, but it doesn't seem to make a difference for the FOB issue.

Th8785

Reaction score

So looking at configuration changes and only one I made was trying to have the fob to roll down windows, which I switched back already. 😓. Is there something I'm not seeing it is it all listed under the car configuration change? Thanks

Th8785

Reaction score
I have the windows version so hopefully that can help. Thank you, will check as soon as I get home from vacation 🙄😂

Problem solved. Aparantly my dumbass clicked srt on while skimming through so I assume it thought the truck was a car? Either way clicked back to no and all is normal again. Thanks for the help

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So looking at configuration changes and only one I made was trying to have the fob to roll down windows, which I switched back already. 😓. Is there something I'm not seeing it is it all listed under the car configuration change? Thanks
There's a setting for it but it doesn't work for the 5th gens.

MaxCarnage

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Alpha OBD can remember the auto stop/start position, and default to what you left it at last? I know the Tazer DT and Auto stop/start eliminator can do it, just curious if Alpha OBD can do it as well.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Alpha OBD can remember the auto stop/start position, and default to what you left it at last? I know the Tazer DT and Auto stop/start eliminator can do it, just curious if Alpha OBD can do it as well.
AlfaODB cannot do this because there isn't a setting in the ECM to do that. Tazer DT does it by sending a live signal through the OBD port to tell the ECM what to do. That's why the Tazer must stayed plugged in for live features.

MaxCarnage

Reaction score
AlfaODB cannot do this because there isn't a setting in the ECM to do that. Tazer DT does it by sending a live signal through the OBD port to tell the ECM what to do. That's why the Tazer must stayed plugged in for live features.

Okay, thanks for explaining it! Sounds like I'll need Alpha OBD to switch my DTE from 23 gallons to 33 gallons for my fuel tank and either Tazer or Auto stop/start eliminator for the stop/start part of it.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

I am attaching a video of the location of the Security Module and plugs that need to be plugged into the bypass cable. I had to figure it out on my own, so hope this helps others. Total setup for Bypass cable, OBD2 scanner, and Alfa OBD software was around $90 for me. I have links for the products in the video description.
Thanks for that video. I was looking under the dash and couldn't find the security module.

Now to change the tire size. I have the MS Word documents with the instructions, but it still looks complicated. I suppose when I open up the AlfaOBD app, it will make more sense.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I am using the Tire Size AlfaOBD instructions that were posted here and for the life of me I can't get it done. First of all, the drop down menus have changed, so there aren't exact matches for some of the selections. Second, there are now drop down menus in the Body computer for MY2019, 2020, and 2021 PowerNet. I've tried MY2013-17 PowerNet and 2021 PowerNet and no matter what, I get a pop up that says, ECU Verification Failed...(see attached pic below). If click continue I can go to the next step. I click on the car with the open hood, Program Tire Size, enter 2576 in circumference box, press START. Cycle the ignition to OFF and wait one minute. Then back to RUN. It says my instrument cluster should be lit up....NOPE!

After that it says, go into Car Configuration Change > Select Vehconfig 4-dynamic tire circumference.(all or rear) Enter 2576 in the box, START.

ABS Module Reset
Ram1500
ABS....Select ABS ATE/Continental Well, that one doesn't exist. I selected whichever one was the closest to that wording.

Then I try the rest with clearing the faults in the Static ECU Initialization but there aren't any faults to clear.

That's as far as I got. What am I doing wrong? AlfaOBD is as complicated as I thought it would be. It's not very intuitive and can be very frustrating. I think I should have just bought the Rough Country Tool.

Screenshot_20210728-185314_AlfaOBD.jpg

Last edited:

Georgf

Reaction score
Hi. Please tell me after replacing the taillights with LEDs, do I need to change the settings? F296FD16-D97F-4FE6-8A6B-7A613FDCE181.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread