5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Gearjunkie340

Reaction score
2021 ram 1500 Rebel. Hello, first post. I recently upgraded to auto climate control following the forum thread. I have everything installed but for the life of me I cannot get a connection to alpha obd. It keeps giving me this error "can error connection failed. verify that key is in mar and check wiring". Please help, my truck climate control is stuck on high heat, not so nice here in Texas summer.

Did you purchase the security bypass cable. It work work without it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MZZZJBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

adrenaline66

Reaction score
Last edited:

adrenaline66

Reaction score
2021 ram 1500 Rebel. Hello, first post. I recently upgraded to auto climate control following the forum thread. I have everything installed but for the life of me I cannot get a connection to alpha obd. It keeps giving me this error "can error connection failed. verify that key is in mar and check wiring". Please help, my truck climate control is stuck on high heat, not so nice here in Texas summer.

Like GearJunkie340 posted, you need a Security Gateway Bypass to make changes. AlphaOBD will work w/o the Security ByPass if you only want to “Read” the diagnostics and clear certain codes, but if you want to make changes to the ECU/BCM, you will need a ByPass. The 2 big ones that everyone seems to use are infotainment or kaodtech; they both cost around $50. I haven’t seen the one from Amazon, but the guy in the know would probably be Jimmy07 and GearJunkie340. Hope you get it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

585nik585

Reaction score
Have you tried this a bypass? If it works and it’s half the price of the kaodtech’s or infotainment’s, that’s awesome for those that haven’t bought one yet. Thanks for sharing.

works great

Last edited:

585nik585

Reaction score
someone was able to change the speed limit from 170 km / h to 200 km / h using alpha OBD?

Toperz

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Are there any extra settings in alphaobd for HIDs? I've changed my halogen bulbs for hids and in alphaobd : VehConfig 3-High Intensity Discharge Lamps and they are still flicker. Even tried with bi-xenon lights settings enable they still flicker. Do I missed something?
I did not add any resistors or relay or canbus adapters.
Thanks.

Georgf

Reaction score
Hey all,
Are there any extra settings in alphaobd for HIDs? I've changed my halogen bulbs for hids and in alphaobd : VehConfig 3-High Intensity Discharge Lamps and they are still flicker. Even tried with bi-xenon lights settings enable they still flicker. Do I missed something?
I did not add any resistors or relay or canbus adapters.
Thanks.
As I know connectors for Halo and Led headlighs are different. How did you connect it with no adapters?

Toperz

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I know connectors for Halo and Led headlighs are different. How did you connect it with no adapters?
Bulbs to ballasts and to factory connector. I've seen sometimes this kit was used:
https://www.amazon.com/Harness-Solv...ocphy=9003383&hvtargid=pla-569060126379&psc=1
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/Warning-Canc...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
but if I was reading correctly in this forum, using AlphaOBD eliminates use of those extras.
Maybe I've misread.

jtrathjen

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Alfa OBD will allow Canadian trucks to use only the accent LED lights in the headlights as daytime running lights like the American trucks can do in the settings menu?

Yes. Follow the steps in the google doc in this post. I just did this and it worked great.
Alpha OBD

Th8785

Reaction score
Well I was looking through the alphaobd settings last night since I just got everything. I don't think I actually changed anything, but now truck is saying service 4wd. Obviously I made an error with something, is there a way to go back and see what I may have did or could it just be a fluke. 🤦

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used several other brands of control software, but AlfaOBD has me confused.

Going to AlfaOBD.com shows a homepage that does not list a single RAM product. (It also doesn't list the Alfa Romeo Giulia. That's odd...)

Is this software really the one to purchase for 5th Gen RAMs?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I've used several other brands of control software, but AlfaOBD has me confused.

Going to AlfaOBD.com shows a homepage that does not list a single RAM product. (It also doesn't list the Alfa Romeo Giulia. That's odd...)

Is this software really the one to purchase for 5th Gen RAMs?
Yes, it is 100% the correct software. Worked perfectly adding items to my truck that it didn't come with and I didn't feel like paying the dealer to unlock.

Reactions: c3k

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I was looking through the alphaobd settings last night since I just got everything. I don't think I actually changed anything, but now truck is saying service 4wd. Obviously I made an error with something, is there a way to go back and see what I may have did or could it just be a fluke. 🤦
There is no way to go back and see what you've changed AFAIK.

If you made an "OEM" list of your BCM you can go through line by line to see what's different otherwise your best bet is to post your truck and options and see if someone has the "same" truck and send you an original/clean list for you to compare it to.

I keep 2 lists - one is my original BCM list as the truck came from the factory and the other is the current settings I have. This gives me a reference if I need it.

FM45

Reaction score
If you use the windows version it will show the change(s) you made at the end of your config file upon exiting the software... well at least mine does.. :)

-=FM45=-

Th8785

Reaction score
There is no way to go back and see what you've changed AFAIK.

If you made an "OEM" list of your BCM you can go through line by line to see what's different otherwise your best bet is to post your truck and options and see if someone has the "same" truck and send you an original/clean list for you to compare it to.

I keep 2 lists - one is my original BCM list as the truck came from the factory and the other is the current settings I have. This gives me a reference if I need it.
Good to know. I've noticed there's an "extra" blank page on my dash cluster. Not sure what that would do for any reason so maybe I clicked something through there. Truck is a 2021 bighorn level 2 if anyone has similar. I would appreciate the help before feeling stupid at the dealership lol

shbates1969

Reaction score
I have ALPHA REX headlights with the LED T- shaped running light. The driver side got condensation in it and the DRL is burnt out. They sent me a replacement and the same thing happened again. It has been several months now since I have spoken with a representative from ALPHA REX they refuse to respond back. I have a question it is about the Alfa OBD. I have the security gateway module the MDX plus and the software everything I need. My question is do I need to put the OEM headlights back in in order to designate my fog lights as my DRL. As of right now I only have the passenger side of the ALPHA REX headlight that only works at 50% when the headlights are on. Just curious is there anyway to modify the DRL with the ALPHA REX headlight still installed or do I need to reinstall the OEM headlights

Evank33

Reaction score
I have ALPHA REX headlights with the LED T- shaped running light. The driver side got condensation in it and the DRL is burnt out. They sent me a replacement and the same thing happened again. It has been several months now since I have spoken with a representative from ALPHA REX they refuse to respond back. I have a question it is about the Alfa OBD. I have the security gateway module the MDX plus and the software everything I need. My question is do I need to put the OEM headlights back in in order to designate my fog lights as my DRL. As of right now I only have the passenger side of the ALPHA REX headlight that only works at 50% when the headlights are on. Just curious is there anyway to modify the DRL with the ALPHA REX headlight still installed or do I need to reinstall the OEM headlights

I dont not think the fogs can be used as a drl. My 2019 1500 will not activated the fog lights as drl unknown if the newer trucks can

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I dont not think the fogs can be used as a drl. My 2019 1500 will not activated the fog lights as drl unknown if the newer trucks can
You cannot because the fog lights only come on with the headlights.

shbates1969

Reaction score
OK thanks guys. Since it is the ALPHA REX do you think The headlights would work for DRL

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can activate headlight drls from the center screen without alpha

Users who are viewing this thread