5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

hulk181

Reaction score
I have a question. When you do a change in AlfaOBD that has multiple changes like adding a brake controller do you only change one option at a time and exit everything and then go back in or can you do all the changes at once then exit everything?

moabbikr

Reaction score
I have a question. When you do a change in AlfaOBD that has multiple changes like adding a brake controller do you only change one option at a time and exit everything and then go back in or can you do all the changes at once then exit everything?

My experience is that you can make all the changes you want and then exit, once you exit you need to wait at least 5 minutes before turning the key back on for the changes to take affect.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
I have alfaobd, and most options work, even though you have to pick 17 model year. Anything in the BCM seems to work. I think thats where you enable the factory brake control outputs, etc.

You should be able to use it to enable brake control. The developer, Alec, is very responsive, you should ask him.
Do you know if alphaobd will work for tire size changes?

hulk181

Reaction score
I am trying to set up the Smart Beam function on a 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn using AlfaOBD using the five changes listed that should do it. What is happening though is it locks the tailgate and the only way I can get the tailgate to unlock is by reverting the settings. Any suggestions from anyone who got their Smart Beam settings to work?

Lungs414

Reaction score
Can these be done using an iPhone or iPad? I don't have an android device. If android is needed can someone suggest an inexpensive device ?

Raydar

Reaction score
It is my understanding that no "i" device will work. Just Windows and Android.
I am using an ancient Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. You should be able to find a used Galaxy Tab, or Galaxy Note something-or-other for cheap, especially if it doesn't have cellular capability.
I believe that Samsung, Motorola, and LG are all Android devices. For our purposes, likely the bigger the screen, the better.
I ran into a guy who had an Asus tablet that ran Windows, but I am quite unfamiliar with those.

Edit - If you get a Samsung that happens to have cellular, and you don't WANT the cellular, just turn on Airplane Mode. The Bluetooth will still work, and you won't waste time (or battery) trying to connect to a cell network. I can't speak regarding the others.

Lungs414

Reaction score
What exactly do I need need for easy user friendly obd changes?

thanks

Raydar

Reaction score
What exactly do I need need for easy user friendly obd changes?
thanks

from "downsjh"
I used the one from infotainment (2018+ FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass, SKU: C-MODBYP).

The 2019 SGW is located right behind, to the left of the OBDII connector, VERY easy to access. No zipties to cut. 2 seconds to install, then remove. Just disconnect the 2 cables, plug them into your bypass. No bypass with long wire harness required.

I used BAFX Products BAFX3127 from Amazon ($22). I had it from other car troubleshooting, and it worked great.

I used these same pieces. They work fine.
In addition, you will need an Android tablet (or phone) or a Windows laptop.
Go to https://www.alfaobd.com/
Download and install the app. (You will need Paypal or a credit card.)
Set it up on your tablet or computer, using the Bluetooth. The BAFX3127 must be paired with your tablet or computer. The BAFX comes with pairing instructions.

Last edited:

hulk181

Reaction score
Now that I have had time to work with it I have the Smart Beams working and kind of have the Rain Sense Wipers working on my Ram 1500.
Initially when using all 5 steps to setup the Smart Beams it resulted in my tailgate not unlocking. I went through step by step and found the problem was the "LIN & Misc: Smart Beam Present (AHBM) Select “yes"". Once I changed it back to "no" the tailgate worked once again and the Smart Beams still work.
The Rain Sense Wipers option shows up in the uConnect settings and when I turn it on with the stalk the wipers do one swipe but nothing else. I drove it when it was raining but no response. If I turn the option off then it goes back to being intermittent. My truck did come with the sensor installed.
Is there anybody that had Rain Sense Wipers come pre-equipped with their truck that could check if fuse 48 located on the driver's side fuse panel is a 2 leg or 3 leg fuse?
Thanks in advance.

downsjh

Reaction score
Now that I have had time to work with it I have the Smart Beams working and kind of have the Rain Sense Wipers working on my Ram 1500.
Initially when using all 5 steps to setup the Smart Beams it resulted in my tailgate not unlocking. I went through step by step and found the problem was the "LIN & Misc: Smart Beam Present (AHBM) Select “yes"". Once I changed it back to "no" the tailgate worked once again and the Smart Beams still work.
The Rain Sense Wipers option shows up in the uConnect settings and when I turn it on with the stalk the wipers do one swipe but nothing else. I drove it when it was raining but no response. If I turn the option off then it goes back to being intermittent. My truck did come with the sensor installed.
Is there anybody that had Rain Sense Wipers come pre-equipped with their truck that could check if fuse 48 located on the driver's side fuse panel is a 2 leg or 3 leg fuse?
Thanks in advance.

Did you have to install hardware to get Smartbeam to work? How does it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjn86

Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

Looks like two to me. I am confused though because it looks like 48 is blank in the space right below the pink fuse in 47 in the circle, but I have the rain-sensing wipers. Either way, I hope the photo helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20191111_144018.jpg
    IMG_20191111_144018.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 432

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
For what it’s worth, my big horn responded the same attempting to enable sensing wipers. When enabled, I got 1-wipe and stop, no action when rain. Disabled, and it returned to normal intermittent mode.

hulk181

Reaction score
Looks like two to me. I am confused though because it looks like 48 is blank in the space right below the pink fuse in 47 in the circle, but I have the rain-sensing wipers. Either way, I hope the photo helps.
Thanks for looking but the layout doesn't look like the fuse box like the in cab one behind the kick panel under the driver's side. This is a picture someone else posted that shows the location of the fuse.

Attachments

• InkedTxSzqku_LI.jpg
    InkedTxSzqku_LI.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 332

kjn86

Reaction score
Thanks for looking but the layout doesn't look like the fuse box like the in cab one behind the kick panel under the driver's side. This is a picture someone else posted that shows the location of the fuse.
Makes sense. The pic I posted was from under the hood.

Kob0583

Reaction score
What is smart beam? Can it be used to add passive entry or cross traffic monitor?

Frank3225

Reaction score
There is a Security GateWay(SGW), that blocks the OBD port from writing changes to the truck, only allows reads.

However you can remove the SGW easily, and replace with the bypass module. Then program via Alphaobd. Then swap back in the SGW.

Would you happen to have a list of all the equipment needed or that you used. Just want to make sure I buy all the correct stuff to get started. Thanks

Frank3225

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve ordered the SWG bypass module to give this a try. My first two changes planned are enabling the trailer brake controller and enabling auto folding power mirrors.

With it not officially supported, I’m not sure about trying out other options.

Which SWG Bypass did you purchase?

Konrad

Reaction score
Which SWG Bypass did you purchase?

This works very well. Installed and programmed the trailer brake controller yesterday. Zero problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread