5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it shows up, but always gives a error or says it did not complete the cycle and doesn't change anything. App seems to lock up for second and then flips to the unsuccessful screen. I tried multiple times thinking, like a couple videos I watched on it, that unsuccessful report doesn't necessarily mean it didn't work. Well, it just didn't work. Wish I had thought to take some pictures.
Guessing thinking isn't my strong suite here...
Don’t sweat it. That change is finicky even for the 4th gen clusters. It works flawless for some people, and for others it doesn’t want to work at all, with no rhyme or reason, or set pattern as to why.

ShortCircuit

Reaction score
It allows you to talk to the trucks computer. You can pull fault codes, enable/disable diagnostics, and I used it to change the enabled components. So when I added the brake controller, I enabled the setting in the body computer to be able to talk to the brake controller module. Then I added the menu options to my radio settings to configure the brake controller.

Just adding hardware to get the factory options after you buy the vehicle is not enough. Software changes are also required. The dealer can also make the software changes. However, a 10minutes software mod at the dealer ranges from $35 to $250. My dealer wanted $130. I thought that was too much, so I used Alphaobd instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any issues with the dealer reflashing the truck or uconnect updates?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any issues with the dealer reflashing the truck or uconnect updates?
Uconnect- no. If there was ever to be a recall that involves a BCM flash, or if you have an issue where the dealer feels the BCM needs to be restored, any changes you made with AlfaOBD will revert, and you would have to reapply them.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving at night. Can't have enough light. These adjustments only DOT legal output in MD.
too much light up close like the fogs throw is bad for highspeed driving. It will ruin your nightvision and distance vision. You'll be able to clearly see whatever you are running over. Being able to run them all at low speed or when parked to flood light is nice. More light aimed to the right place when driving at speed is MUCH better than flooding light and not being able to see quickly enough to react.

Shives

Reaction score
Do you guys leave the bypass in all the time?
I personally leave the bypass in at all times. I’ll also have a Tazer DT on its ways that again, I’ll leave installed so I can use the live features at will. Global window roll down, mirror fold in, blah blah blah.
Anyways... No harm in leaving the bypass in. Just make sure you remember to take it out before visits to the dealership.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to change my fuel tank size and tire size. I did use the rough country speedometer calibrator. The dealer cannot figure out how to add the 33 gallon tank. I do not know much about programming and unfortunately do not have time to read 480 pages of this thread. Can someone provide a list of what’s needed and some instruction to get this accomplished? I am hesitant to dive into this and mess something up.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I need to change my fuel tank size and tire size. I did use the rough country speedometer calibrator. The dealer cannot figure out how to add the 33 gallon tank. I do not know much about programming and unfortunately do not have time to read 480 pages of this thread. Can someone provide a list of what’s needed and some instruction to get this accomplished? I am hesitant to dive into this and mess something up.
You would change VehConfig 3 fuel capacity to 125 liters.

Shives

Reaction score
The dealership can’t figure it out? Lmfao. Oops. As mentioned above! Our Alfaobd Guru, Jimmy07!
Also, I know you’ll hate this response. Just use the search function and type in 33 gal tank. I do believe a whole thread is dedicated to this being done. You’ll find a ton of great info. Also, I would urge the tech to make an account with 5thgenrams and do some learning. Lol.
Beat of luck.

DSPS

Reaction score
see dixit post #191 in this thread... he walk you thru the steps

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dealership can’t figure it out? Lmfao. Oops. As mentioned above! Our Alfaobd Guru, Jimmy07!
Also, I know you’ll hate this response. Just use the search function and type in 33 gal tank. I do believe a whole thread is dedicated to this being done. You’ll find a ton of great info. Also, I would urge the tech to make an account with 5thgenrams and do some learning. Lol.
Beat of luck.
It’s probably not that the dealer can’t figure it out, it’s because the sales code for the 33 gallon tank is not available to add to a VIN configuration that wasn’t built from factory with it. You would be extremely lucky to actually have a dealer be able to add the sales code, because that means you have to convince the service advisor to contact the FCA area rep, who in turn has to contact FCA engineering and ask that the sales code be allowed for that VIN. They could easily just say “no, end of discussion”. You basically have to know exactly what to ask the service advisor to try to do, otherwise they’ll just brush you off like they don’t know what you’re talking about, or can’t be done.

alecom

Reaction score
I'm looking for a RAM 1500 Longhorn MY2019 BCM status file. My backup is corrupt.

acbone710

Reaction score
I am trying to get Cargo Cam input working on my 2019 bighorn 8.4 w/o Nav. I made these changes:

Code:
Car configuration change: LED CHMSL Lamp Present: ' NO ' -> ' YES '
Car configuration change: CHMSL Camera: ' NO ' -> ' YES '
Car configuration change: CHMSL Line CSM Present: ' NO ' -> ' YES ' (Don't think this was necessary, I was grasping at straws)

I have waited 48 hours and I still cannot see anything related to the cargo cam anywhere in settings and the option is not there to switch to it when using the tailgate camera. I haven't pulled apart the dash yet to install wiring because I was hoping to get this working before tearing into the dash. Does the cam need to be hooked up first? Is there anything I am missing or anything I can try?

I have made other changes using AlfaOBD and have confirmed that they work, so my OBD MX and sgw bypass should be working.

Shives

Reaction score
Yes, it seems us with No nav and base system may have some issues. My main reason for buying Alfaobd. Then I got Tazer thinking it would do it without the hassle! (And I like some of the features) but still, No dice.

eproulx38

Reaction score
What is everyone selecting to connect to the vehicle on alfaobd. I tried the 13-17 like a lot of youtube videos show. I tried 14, 19, 20 , etc. I am thinking I bought a cheap gateway bypass module off of ebay for $35 and it isn't doing the trick. I have the MX+ bluetooth and connected to alfaobd easily with that. Just not able to communicate with the truck. I bought this cable off of amazon = https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S91VZX...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is everyone selecting to connect to the vehicle on alfaobd. I tried the 13-17 like a lot of youtube videos show. I tried 14, 19, 20 , etc. I am thinking I bought a cheap gateway bypass module off of ebay for $35 and it isn't doing the trick. I have the MX+ bluetooth and connected to alfaobd easily with that. Just not able to communicate with the truck. I bought this cable off of amazon = https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S91VZX...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
If you remove that cable, reinstall the security gateway module, and plug the MX+ into the original OBD port, can you connect to the bcm with AlfaOBD? Just choose any model year, as it will automatically detect what to connect as.

eproulx38

Reaction score
If you remove that cable, reinstall the security gateway module, and plug the MX+ into the original OBD port, can you connect to the bcm with AlfaOBD? Just choose any model year, as it will automatically detect what to connect as.
Yes, I was able to connect without the cable plugged in. Does that mean I bought a junk cable that won't bypass the system?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I was able to connect without the cable plugged in. Does that mean I bought a junk cable that won't bypass the system?
Seems that way, although others have successfully used it.

Users who are viewing this thread