5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
This thread is a little confusing everyone using different components to program there trucks.
Is there a list of links as to what exactly to buy in order to program via Android phone/tablet
Do I just need the mx/mx+ or elm 322
And a bypass module if so what's the best place to order thanks in advance

Shives

Reaction score
Sadly you should read from the start of this post. You can choose different options to program your truck! Their is not just one way, their are many. In essence you need a windows laptop or Android tablet/phone. You need some sort of OBD2 Bluetooth adapter, then you need a SGW bypass! (Could be Tazer, could be a harness, blah blah) So, you need to pick your three items to use! Then programming is all the same way. Look over and pick what best suits you. Or what your goal is. I guess I would start with that.. what are you trying to do

Alptbird

Reaction score
Once connected to the radio module, there’s nothing that can actually be changed. There are just a bunch of test procedures you can perform, such as turn the camera on for 10 seconds, test each speaker location for open circuits, balance, fade, read and clear faults in the radio module, etc. It’s not like the BCM where you can change bits.
So does this mean i am SOL for turning the CD player on, when adding it? or we are just not able to change things such as add front facing camera inputs or changing the coms for the 12" screen?

Shives

Reaction score
So does this mean i am SOL for turning the CD player on, when adding it? or we are just not able to change things such as add front facing camera inputs or changing the coms for the 12" screen?
You’ll be able to add CD player. It’s plug and play. No worries. You won’t be able to change things like, Add subwoofer out, or why have you.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The BCM configuration is what dictates to the radio module what functions to use, cameras, etc. If you add the CD player, you just go into the BCM settings list and enable Cabin Net EDM external disc module, then after a few drive cycles, the radio will recognize it’s there in the media selections.

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
Sadly you should read from the start of this post. You can choose different options to program your truck! Their is not just one way, their are many. In essence you need a windows laptop or Android tablet/phone. You need some sort of OBD2 Bluetooth adapter, then you need a SGW bypass! (Could be Tazer, could be a harness, blah blah) So, you need to pick your three items to use! Then programming is all the same way. Look over and pick what best suits you. Or what your goal is. I guess I would start with that.. what are you trying to do
Well I did read every post from start to finish more than once and that's why I posted the question. I think the question was pretty straight forward regardless of what I'm trying to turn on or off I'm just looking for the what ever components I need to access the system to enable and disable things through alpha odb via an Android device I don't want to download and upload via a PC. I quess I'll figure it out. Thanks.

RyanZ

Reaction score
Well I did read every post from start to finish more than once and that's why I posted the question. I think the question was pretty straight forward regardless of what I'm trying to turn on or off I'm just looking for the what ever components I need to access the system to enable and disable things through alpha odb via an Android device I don't want to download and upload via a PC. I quess I'll figure it out. Thanks.

I'm using a my sons Amazon Android Tablet, with this $10 Bluetooth adapter.

Alptbird

Reaction score
The BCM configuration is what dictates to the radio module what functions to use, cameras, etc. If you add the CD player, you just go into the BCM settings list and enable Cabin Net EDM external disc module, then after a few drive cycles, the radio will recognize it’s there in the media selections.
thank you sir, still wrapping my head around all the features.

Alptbird

Reaction score
This thread is a little confusing everyone using different components to program there trucks.
Is there a list of links as to what exactly to buy in order to program via Android phone/tablet
Do I just need the mx/mx+ or elm 322
And a bypass module if so what's the best place to order thanks in advance
Man it is confusing, and reading from the beginning can get you twisted despite what Shives says. I know he is saying the info is in here but it can be hard filter out the random information. The best starting guide I can tell you is go to the Alfaobd site and read that page. It is a simple page but holds alot of info. They give the basics and best results in their experience.

from my experience get an android device, and a bluetooth OBD adapter I have the OBX mx+. According to the alfaobd it allows the most access. true or not don't know, but it works with my set up flawlessly. are there other adapters out there absolutely. not all are created equal, are willing to gamble and roll the dice your call. and lastly get the Software. www.alfaobd.com

Read, research, start small. take notes for future reference.

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
Man it is confusing, and reading from the beginning can get you twisted despite what Shives says. I know he is saying the info is in here but it can be hard filter out the random information. The best starting guide I can tell you is go to the Alfaobd site and read that page. It is a simple page but holds alot of info. They give the basics and best results in their experience.

from my experience get an android device, and a bluetooth OBD adapter I have the OBX mx+. According to the alfaobd it allows the most access. true or not don't know, but it works with my set up flawlessly. are there other adapters out there absolutely. not all are created equal, are willing to gamble and roll the dice your call. and lastly get the Software. www.alfaobd.com

Thank you.
Do I need to get the bypass harness as well I'm assuming from infotainment?

Alptbird

Reaction score
Thank you.
Do I need to get the bypass harness as well I'm assuming from infotainment?
there are a couple bypass modules you can get, the one from infortainment, z automotive has one, or in my case I have a Tazer DT i started out with, it didn't do the trailer brake activation like it said it would so i had to come to the Alfaobd route.

Xoexpireu

Reaction score
there are a couple bypass modules you can get, the one from infortainment, z automotive has one, or in my case I have a Tazer DT i started out with, it didn't do the trailer brake activation like it said it would so i had to come to the Alfaobd route.
I need to activate my lane assist so I need to use alphaobd I guess I'll get the z automotive one. I just ordered the mx+ but that's all I should need to get this done correct mx+ zautomotive bypass module and software. And yes I already installed all hardware

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stupid question: can I use the same AlphaOBD program (license) on more than one vehicle? It looks like you can but there's nothing specific about it either way that I can find.

I know you can move the program between devices but does it marry to your VIN when you use it?

Shives

Reaction score

Sorry!

I should have added a bunch more information, and been a bit more in-depth. That’s my bad. I also just learned that you do have to enable a setting for CD player.. But I’ve heard of folks plugging this in and it just working. So, food for thought.
Also, as mentioned a cheep Bluetooth adapter can work, so can the OBD 2 MX one.. which is a lot more, but is more capable then the lessor. As mentioned about access to some other feature, you need to enable some settings and also have a different bypass. So, me knowing this now I would do things differently... But I like have full access to everything.

Shives

Reaction score
Stupid question: can I use the same AlphaOBD program (license) on more than one vehicle? It looks like you can but there's nothing specific about it either way that I can find.

I know you can move the program between devices but does it marry to your VIN when you use it?
Yes, it’s not married! It’s made to use on more then one vehicle.

Alptbird

Reaction score

As Shives said it is unmarried. I have used mine to activate my trailer brake controller, change my (general) lights to LED, head light, fog light (oem led) tail light turn signal etc. and today I used it to turn on LED fog for a co worker jeep JL, and disable his automatic START/STOP. another co worker wants LED Tails, turn and he is swapping out his cluster and will need his Mileage and drive hours reset. something I can do on his 4th gen but still can't on my 5th gen booo. I need to change the drive hours on my cluster swap. so yes it can be used on multiple vehicles.

I am still learning this thing, and something tells me I can get in alot of trouble fast. so i take baby steps...

Alptbird

Reaction score
I need to activate my lane assist so I need to use alphaobd I guess I'll get the z automotive one. I just ordered the mx+ but that's all I should need to get this done correct mx+ zautomotive bypass module and software. And yes I already installed all hardware
I haven't dug in far enough to know where all that is, but installing the kit for that upgrade was fun I am sure. Have fun be careful in Alfa obd world!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The Android version can be run on multiple devices on your account and is also showing in my Family Library.

The PC version is keyed to a single PC install. You can move it if you send a request to Alex.

Neither is "married" to a VIN or vehicle so in that regard it is portable.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone who has what is needed close to me (within ~50-60 miles) I'll drive to you or meet where ever you like for you to turn on my tailgate ajar feature, I'll pay you $50.00.
I live just southeast of Baton Rouge and work in Baton Rouge. New Orleans isn't out of the question, I go there often.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone who has what is needed close to me (within ~50-60 miles) I'll drive to you or meet where ever you like for you to turn on my tailgate ajar feature, I'll pay you $50.00.
I live just southeast of Baton Rouge and work in Baton Rouge. New Orleans isn't out of the question, I go there often.

I to am looking to have someone do this because my dealer is useless. Located in SW Ontario.

Users who are viewing this thread