5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

downsjh

Reaction score
Has anyone used Alphaobd to customize the software on your Ram? Does it work with on 2019 trucks? I’m hesitant to pay $130 for my dealer to add the sales code for the factory trailer brake controller that I installed myself. Could this be an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have alfaobd, and most options work, even though you have to pick 17 model year. Anything in the BCM seems to work. I think thats where you enable the factory brake control outputs, etc.

You should be able to use it to enable brake control. The developer, Alec, is very responsive, you should ask him.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should. I think you can download the demo, and view the options and not make changes. You will need either a SGM bypass, or add your own 2nd Obd port off the star connectors, to get direct access to the can-c and can-ihs bus

downsjh

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve ordered the SWG bypass module to give this a try. My first two changes planned are enabling the trailer brake controller and enabling auto folding power mirrors.

With it not officially supported, I’m not sure about trying out other options.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think its fairly safe to use, it will notify you immediately if its an unsupported ECU you're trying to connect to.

downsjh

Reaction score
Success! I was able to connect to the Body Computer, and enable my integrate trailer brake controller. All total is was 5 settings that had to change (enable brake controller module, then enable the 4 CSM menu items to see the trailer settings menus). Odd, it takes a few minutes before the Trailer Settings menu showed up, at first I didn't think it worked. All totaled, it was $220 to get the factory trailer brake controller installed and I still have the AlphOBD software, and SGW bypass hardware for future upgrades.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Success! I was able to connect to the Body Computer, and enable my integrate trailer brake controller. All total is was 5 settings that had to change (enable brake controller module, then enable the 4 CSM menu items to see the trailer settings menus). Odd, it takes a few minutes before the Trailer Settings menu showed up, at first I didn't think it worked. All totaled, it was $220 to get the factory trailer brake controller installed and I still have the AlphOBD software, and SGW bypass hardware for future upgrades.
Sweet. What about auto-folding mirrors, where you able to program that? Any other cool features it supports?

Thanks,

downsjh

Reaction score
I tried Auto folding mirrors. This did not work, the setting did not show up in my screen. My truck does have the manual button to fold, but does not fold on lock/unlock. Not sure if I’m missing hardware ( I don’t have memory seats, but I have memory mirrors(tilt on reverse). Any ideas?

I did see any other items to try without hardware mods. Passive entry is in my list, but too complicated for me to figure out without a trailblazer to write up directions.

I found the 4th gen forum that has a lot of info on AlphaOBD which seems to match to our 5th Gen.

Neokane

Reaction score
Can you confirm if you can add other options such as vented seats?

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
Which SGM bypass did you go with? I am looking at the OBDII T-Bypass Short (18 RAM) from zautotech.com but I'm not sure if it will work with the 2019 or not. I'd like something easier to remove so I don't have to go behind the radio every time I need to remove it. Also which module did you use? I'm looking at the OBDLink MX+

downsjh

Reaction score
I used the one from infotainment (2018+ FCA Security Gateway Module Bypass, SKU: C-MODBYP).

The 2019 SGW is located right behind, to the left of the OBDII connector, VERY easy to access. No zipties to cut. 2 seconds to install, then remove. Just disconnect the 2 cables, plug them into your bypass. No bypass with long wire harness required.

I used BAFX Products BAFX3127 from Amazon ($22). I had it from other car troubleshooting, and it worked great.

downsjh

Reaction score
Can you confirm if you can add other options such as vented seats?
I'm not sure how to check this, since I don't have the hardware required for this.

If you download the free AlphaOBD app from Playstore, you can select "dodge Ram", RAM 1500 (DS/DX) - DT not available, Body Computer, MY2016-17 PowerNet , then select the bottom icon of a car with the hood open, Select Car Configuration Change as the Procedure, then you can see all the options available. No truck, OBD connection required to just see the list of options.

gisboro

Reaction score
Successfully installed and programmed my after thought factory brake controller tonight using Alphaobd.
@downsjh I appreciate your message about the order to do it in.
Hooked up the camper after install and all is functioning just as it should.

Cableline01

Reaction score
I wish they would add the option if you set auto tilt mirrors on reverse to exit it. Like pressing the ok button on the steering wheel. Right now I have to go in the radio to enable or disable.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
Forgive my if orance, but I just don't understand what Alpha OBD is even for. Can someone explain?

downsjh

Reaction score
It allows you to talk to the trucks computer. You can pull fault codes, enable/disable diagnostics, and I used it to change the enabled components. So when I added the brake controller, I enabled the setting in the body computer to be able to talk to the brake controller module. Then I added the menu options to my radio settings to configure the brake controller.

Just adding hardware to get the factory options after you buy the vehicle is not enough. Software changes are also required. The dealer can also make the software changes. However, a 10minutes software mod at the dealer ranges from $35 to $250. My dealer wanted $130. I thought that was too much, so I used Alphaobd instead.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
The dealer can also make the software changes. However, a 10minutes software mod at the dealer ranges from $35 to $250. My dealer wanted $130. I thought that was too much, so I used Alphaobd instead.
And that's if they are even capable. My truck came with power-folding mirrors on the window sticker, but then upgraded to the towing package with towing mirrors. I replaced the towing mirrors with standard power-folding mirrors and all the necessary hardware, but my dealer could not add the software to make it work. I had to use Alphaobd, which actually cost less than it would have to get the dealer programming, and I have more power to make other changes now.

Users who are viewing this thread