5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpha Obd or Taser DT

Matthbert5150

Reaction score
After reading several threads about both these devices, I was just curious to see which one you guys recommend.

I'm used to software similar to the AlphaOBD as I have an Audi S6 that I use Vag-Com with a Ross tech cable and my laptop to configure the vehicle.

Can you do the same things with AlphaOBD as you can with Taser DT?

More likely going to use this to install trailer brake controller, change DRL to fogs, calibrate the speedometer, set tpms limits, key fob window controls, and a few other things on my ram.

Thanks in advance!

Sent using Tapatalk

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Rambox
5.7L 3.92 4x4
Black appearance package
12" u connect, pano sunroof
Power running boards
6" ProComp Stage 1 lift kit with 37x12.50r20 Nitto Ridge Grappler and 20x10 - 24 fuel hostage wheels

*Future Mods*
-exhaust (looking for recommendations)
-Tazer DT
-Pulsar

Rplante3108

Reaction score
I never used the AlphaOBD, but I have had the tazer for my charger and now for my Ram DT. Some features I like about it is free updates(probably the same for others) user friendly and easy to navigate. If you own a lower trim truck and decide to start adding factory features, the tazer can "unlock" them with the ease of a few buttons on the steering wheel. Not sure on the price of the Alpha, but what you get out of the tazer for the price, I feel it's pretty fair. All and all I recommend the tazer if you plan on adding features like rear cab camera, other " Aux" type units to the truck. Also since the display doesnt stay in the Evic when switch in Uconnect setting, I was able to change it with the tazer and keep it changed. Granite it says "Limited" for the splash, but its blue with the font change like I like it. No complaints. Plus the Tazer is compatible with the pulsar with the recent updates. I hope this helps out some!

deanfx

Reaction score
I never used the AlphaOBD, but I have had the tazer for my charger and now for my Ram DT. Some features I like about it is free updates(probably the same for others) user friendly and easy to navigate. If you own a lower trim truck and decide to start adding factory features, the tazer can "unlock" them with the ease of a few buttons on the steering wheel. Not sure on the price of the Alpha, but what you get out of the tazer for the price, I feel it's pretty fair. All and all I recommend the tazer if you plan on adding features like rear cab camera, other " Aux" type units to the truck. Also since the display doesnt stay in the Evic when switch in Uconnect setting, I was able to change it with the tazer and keep it changed. Granite it says "Limited" for the splash, but its blue with the font change like I like it. No complaints. Plus the Tazer is compatible with the pulsar with the recent updates. I hope this helps out some!
Do you have to install any unlocking module behind the radio on the DT's?

Raydar

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Tazer, and next to nothing about Alfa OBD.
But in poking around, I have seen several people on various forums who alluded to needing a "PIN" in order to do certain things. Apparently, the PIN is tied to a specific vehicle, but is available as easily as calling the dealer's service department. Which kind of confuses me. Figured they would have locked down any kind of mechanism that would allow this stuff to work.

Dixit

Reaction score
Do you have to install any unlocking module behind the radio on the DT's?

You need to install a security bypass module. It’s located just under the drivers foot well. Directly above the the OBD port near the door side. You have to pull two plugs and put them into a security bypass module. Done need to remove any panels or anything. The bypass modules are about $50. I got my from infotainment.com

Without this you cant change anything with AlfaOBD. You also need that PIN code for certain changes.

Raydar

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Tazer, and next to nothing about Alfa OBD.
But in poking around, I have seen several people on various forums who alluded to needing a "PIN" in order to do certain things. Apparently, the PIN is tied to a specific vehicle, but is available as easily as calling the dealer's service department. Which kind of confuses me. Figured they would have locked down any kind of mechanism that would allow this stuff to work.

This was answered for me elsewhere, but I'll add it here, too. The PIN is not required to alter the BCM. It is required to modify some other things.
I purchased AlfaOBD, the SGW bypass, and the OBD interface, and was able to turn on my trailer brake controller and theft alarm.
Still experimenting...

Last edited:

jabara572

Reaction score
This was answered for me elsewhere, but I'll add it here, too. The PIN is not required to alter the BCM. It is required to modify some other things.
I purchased AlfaOBD, the SGW bypass, and the OBD interface, and was able to turn on my trailer brake controller and theft alarm.
Still experimenting...
You got alpha obd working in a 19?????

datammwv13

Reaction score
Yes the Alphaodb will work with a 2019 Ram DT. In Alphaodb you have to choose DS. But most functions still work. You must have Bypass cable of some sort. I have changed fog light drop out and DRL source to Amber lights vs LED.
b03a95f50af90b2318f1e0cedb6c2dc0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

datammwv13

Reaction score
Next time I connect I will take some screen shots and do a write up. Cannot do without connecting to see screens in AlphaODB. But fairly simple to notice.
DRL Dropout Enabled
Select “yes”

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
What is the security gateway module, alpha obd, and tazer dt all used for? I am new to Ram and have no idea what these are or used for.

Dixit

Reaction score
AlfaOBD and Tazer are basically ECU modification tools. AlfaOBD is more of a setting changing tool.

Security Bypass Module is a module you need to add in order to “bypass” the security gateway these new cars have. These are there so folks easily program the main ECU with third party tools.

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
Hmmm, i have run programmers on my GM trucks and haven’t decided if i want to run one on this one or not, so i can understand the need for the gateway module. Driving a hemi is like driving a custom tuned GM 5.3. What would i use the alpha or the tazer for?

Dixit

Reaction score
Hmmm, i have run programmers on my GM trucks and haven’t decided if i want to run one on this one or not, so i can understand the need for the gateway module. Driving a hemi is like driving a custom tuned GM 5.3. What would i use the alpha or the tazer for?

Honestly They are not "tuners". These are really just ways to change settings on the ECU that CDJ put in their that apply to multiple models. Tazer is more of an all in one easier to use tool but limited in what it can or cant change. This is what Tazer DT allows you to do. https://www.zautomotive.com/product/tazer-dt/

AlfaOBD is a much more advanced tool and semi (Some may say alot) complicated. Because it really doesnt explain much on what certain settings are for. Much of the information is floating around in forums on what certain settings do. Its also a bit dangerous if you start changing stuff as there really is no "put back to stock" function unlike things like Tazer.

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
I have a set of LED bulbs for my reverse lights at home and am wanting to change the cargo bulbs to LED as well. Will i have any issues with error messages when i change them?

Dixit

Reaction score
I put LED in my center high mount brake light which has the two on the end for cargo. I have a Limited and those bulbs didn’t come as LED and I put in LED and have no issue.

Reverse lights not sure about as my truck already has them on the limited. But looking at AlfaOBD for my truck I do see that there is a setting called “LED Reverse Lamps Present:” and mine are set to “Set” vs not set.

But doubt you’d have issues if you get ones that say CAN BUS compatible. Those basically have a resistor in there to keep it from throwing a lamp our code.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
AlfaOBD and Tazer are basically ECU modification tools. AlfaOBD is more of a setting changing tool.

Security Bypass Module is a module you need to add in order to “bypass” the security gateway these new cars have. These are there so folks easily program the main ECU with third party tools.

Correction - they don't change the ECU - it is LOCKED.

They change the BCM and other modules (radio, etc.).

To change the ECU itself - you will have to get yours UNLOCKED - or purchase an unlocked one and swap it in (i'd do the latter, the second the stealership sees an unlocked ECU, they have an excuse to play warranty-voiding games).

The Pulsar (and the like) are "piggyback tuners" - they go INLINE WITH the ECU and modify data coming and going to kind of "fake out" the ECU. They can also be removed and leave no evidence of tampering.

Rick

Dixit

Reaction score
You right. Wrong terminology used on my part. Yeap only changes BCU stuff. ECU is locked as he mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread