5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All the oil viscosity discussions and they change it!!

MontFla

Reaction score
Ok so I just bought a 2022 5.7 e torque and the owners manual states 0-20 full synthetic…. All of the oil discussions on 10-20 vs 10-30?? Now the techs say 0-20 full synthetic is the oil to use?? So to stay within warranty our oil change prices just skyrocketed!!! What do you think

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you saying this is a change? It’s winter here - 0 is good, the motors manufactured to close tolerance for 100,000 mile warranty, so 20 is good for me too. What was it previously?:unsure:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so I just bought a 2022 5.7 e torque and the owners manual states 0-20 full synthetic…. All of the oil discussions on 10-20 vs 10-30?? Now the techs say 0-20 full synthetic is the oil to use?? So to stay within warranty our oil change prices just skyrocketed!!! What do you think
That was buried in that thread too. Might have been one of the things that started it. @Bt10, it 5w-20. Unless you're in super cold climates, no difference between 0w and 5w.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just like ekaz was saying, 0w-20 outperforms 5w-20 so no reason not to use it.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Its been 5w20 since 2009, and now (2022, it’s on the oil fill cap) it’s 0w20 but FULL Synthetic. 5w20 4th gen was your choice of Synthetic, Blend or Regular. It’s still 20 when hot, just like prior. The price is exactly the same be it 5w or 0w20 Synthetic.

There’s owners that put in the weight they want with good success. Once you get out of warranty it won’t matter.

MontFla

Reaction score
Are you saying this is a change? It’s winter here - 0 is good, the motors manufactured to close tolerance for 100,000 mile warranty, so 20 is good for me too. What was it previously?:unsure:
Yes it is. New. I traded in 2021 that drank 10-20 semi synthetic. 2022 manual says 0-20 full synthetic

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Its been 5w20 since 2009, and now (2022, it’s on the oil fill cap) it’s 0w20 but FULL Synthetic. 5w20 4th gen was your choice of Synthetic, Blend or Regular. It’s still 20 when hot, just like prior. The price is exactly the same be it 5w or 0w20 Synthetic.

There’s owners that put in the weight they want with good success. Once you get out of warranty it won’t matter.
Can you even get 0W-20 in anything but full synthetic?

My old 2019 has a lifetime warranty, so I am stuck with 5W-20. Of course, I’m running PUP…should be fine there.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Can you even get 0W-20 in anything but full synthetic?
Yes, at least three synthetic blends are available in 0W-20.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
5w-20 was previous. And 5w oil is good for as cold as like -30 degrees.

Boston

Reaction score
How about Toyota's 0-16?

Now that's a weird spec.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
How about Toyota's 0-16?

Now that's a weird spec.
What’s weird about the 0W-16 “spec”? It’s a very specialized grade that is only recommended by Toyota for use in their hybrid engine and nothing else. They still recommend traditional grades like 0W-20 in their other vehicles.

Actually it’s a remarkable oil that demonstrates what oil companies can do with modern synthetic base oils and additive packages.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The first car I’ve come across that specified 0W-30 was in 2013 (in Japan), even though it was developed “before 2000”.

As @HoosierTrooper writes, it’s primarily (but not exclusively) used for hybrids. It appears to have advantages in heat-sensitive applications such as turbocharging, which seems logical.

What will really blow your mind is the 0W-8 spec they’re currently testing…

BB22

Reaction score
I took my 22 Rebel to the dealer yesterday for its first oil change. When they handed me the paperwork after the oil change, I immediately noticed that they put the WRONG oil in it! They put conventional 5w-20 in it instead of the 0w-20 full synthetic! Despite the fact that the oil filler cap says 0w-20 in bright yellow! Needless to say they drained it out and replaced the oil and filter with the 0w-20 synthetic. BEWARE! Always read your paperwork!

MontFla

Reaction score
I took my 22 Rebel to the dealer yesterday for its first oil change. When they handed me the paperwork after the oil change, I immediately noticed that they put the WRONG oil in it! They put conventional 5w-20 in it instead of the 0w-20 full synthetic! Despite the fact that the oil filler cap says 0w-20 in bright yellow! Needless to say they drained it out and replaced the oil and filter with the 0w-20 synthetic. BEWARE! Always read your paperwork!
Yes happened to me twice!!!! Dumb mechanics. I reiterate what oil goes in repeatedly

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

It's issues like this that keep me convinced that doing my own oil changes is a good idea. I know it gets done right, with the oil and filter of my choice. Oil change techs are in a hurry to finish so they can get the next vehicle into the bay. Which leads to the types of mistakes you saw. Which is actually pretty minor. I've heard of much worse mistakes like not replacing the filter, over filling or under filling with oil, and not realizing the old filter gasket didn't come off with the filter. One of my friends at work lost an engine because of the last one, and all his oil leaked out on his drive home.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes happened to me twice!!!! Dumb mechanics. I reiterate what oil goes in repeatedly
The guys that changes your oil has more in common with a Burger King employee than they do a mechanic. Some dealerships do a great job, but it seems most are substandard.

I've been taking my truck to my local Toyota dealership for oil changes, but after reading all of these horror stories, I'll do them myself from here on out. One oil change per year for each vehicle isn't much of an inconvenience.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's issues like this that keep me convinced that doing my own oil changes is a good idea. I know it gets done right, with the oil and filter of my choice. Oil change techs are in a hurry to finish so they can get the next vehicle into the bay. Which leads to the types of mistakes you saw. Which is actually pretty minor. I've heard of much worse mistakes like not replacing the filter, over filling or under filling with oil, and not realizing the old filter gasket didn't come off with the filter. One of my friends at work lost an engine because of the last one, and all his oil leaked out on his drive home.
If he toasted the engine because the oil leaked out, then he was partially at fault. Means he either wasn't watching his guages, or chose not to shut engine off as soon as light came on for no oil pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/