5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alignment after new tires put on?

Pahey345

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for such a newb question, but I’ve seen conflicting results to my question. I had my Ram 1500 leveled and then aligned. A week later I had new all terrain tires put on. Someone said I made a mistake getting the vehicle aligned before the tires were put on? I’m assuming that the truck is fine, but doubt is creeping in.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If the old tires had severe uneven wear, they could have introduced some sideways pressure that would mess up the alignment readings. I doubt it would be enough to feel, but it might be enough to measure. On the other hand, if the tires were nice and flat even if bald, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Is the steering wheel centered? On a nice smooth road without a huge crown, does it track straight if you take your hands off the wheel? Does the truck go where you point it, or does it follow the grooves in the road -- are you always fighting it to stay in your lane? Does the steering return to center nicely after a turn? The answers to these questions will tell you whether or not you need another alignment.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
If the new tires are a different size than the old one's, then yes you will need another alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread