5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Android tablets are cheap so that's good. I
Have read on this thread (I think) that windows is the preferred method.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been looking a while and found this thread. I have a 2021 1500 and bought a tazer. From what I read the tazer can work as a bypass so you don’t need the bypass cable. Can anyone verify this? Also If the case then I would need the software and a obd reader.

does the alpha obd sense and connect to the reader like it would from the app on your phone? But use it’s app to connect?
Yes the TazerDT works as a security bypass, so only need alfaOBD app and a Bluetooth OBD2 device

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
There is a Windows/PC/Laptop version and an Android version, I have both. I did the BCM backup with the Windows version and saved it on my desktop, I've performed a few changes with both versions and prefer the Android version for usablity.

This. I bought the PC version first and made multiple backups of the stock ECM configuration, both locally and in Google Drive. It’s handy being able to pull up the stock configuration on my iPhone and having it side by side while making changes. If you own one version of AlfaOBD, you can contact the creator (Alexey) and they will send you a link to purchase the other version at a discounted rate. I was able to side-load the Google Play store to an Amazon Fire tablet pretty easily in order to download AlfaOBD. I find the Android version a bit more user friendly and definitely more portable, but it’s nice to own both.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a Samsung Galaxy S 5. It was my nephews' phone that he had laying around that is a 2014 model and works flawlessly. I use Apple for my personal phone, which is why I bought the PC version for my laptop first, then got the Android version later.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Android does not allow BCM backup?
Yes, they both do, and Android version is easier to upload it to google drive. There’s also two different things that people could be referring to when they say “BCM backup”:
1) The BCM system ID log, which is what people are probably referring to, but is not an actual backup. It is just the current list of settings, and what they are all currently set to. It is a log that will keep running, so each time you read the system ID, it will tack the current settings that it reads onto the end of the info log.
2) BCM backup file- this is fairly new on AlfaOBD, and this would be an actual backup log. It is just a bunch of numbers, but this file can be used as a restore point. IOW, you can restore your BCM back to whatever it was when the file was created, in one shot, without having to manually make the settings changes.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, they both do, and Android version is easier to upload it to google drive. There’s also two different things that people could be referring to when they say “BCM backup”:
1) The BCM system ID log, which is what people are probably referring to, but is not an actual backup. It is just the current list of settings, and what they are all currently set to. It is a log that will keep running, so each time you read the system ID, it will tack the current settings that it reads onto the end of the info log.
2) BCM backup file- this is fairly new on AlfaOBD, and this would be an actual backup log. It is just a bunch of numbers, but this file can be used as a restore point. IOW, you can restore your BCM back to whatever it was when the file was created, in one shot, without having to manually make the settings changes.
Thank you @Jimmy07 I have learned from reading these threads that you are a wealth of info. I appreciate it.

Edmontonram

Reaction score
Hey [mention]Jimmy07 [/mention] ,

Hope I’m not being a pain in the @ss, I was wondering if you seen my post above, #1076? Just wanted to see if you have any feed back for me. I have tried it all again and still have had no luck.

I appreciate any input you can offer.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatanka_ram

Reaction score
there is a tone of info in this thread, apologies if it been asked.
will any brand alphaOB2 work ???

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
there is a tone of info in this thread, apologies if it been asked.
will any brand alphaOB2 work ???
alfaOBD is an app. There is only one app. If you are talking about the OBD2 device that plugs into the truck, it sounds like it's hit or miss on some of the cheaper devices. The preferred device, that is known to work, has been posted multiple times

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing on Selectable Tire Fill huh?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
So the obd device connects to the tablet via Bluetooth, and then not using the app that comes with it but the alpha app to connect the device into the app?

waiting on my tablet to arrive and obd device but was just curious how you connect to the alpha obd app

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most people use a BT adapter so there's no cable to the tablet: OBDII bluetooth adapter, "connect" your table to it, then open your AlfaOBD APP and off you go.

I have a OBDII to USB-A cable that I use for my Windows laptop. It limits my distance but I have no connectivity issues.

Users who are viewing this thread