5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This function is enabled for my truck, but I do not have any indication with open tailgate. Asked dealer today, they said is normal.
Tailgate Ajar Indication: Yes
Mine wasn't active from the factory, but I ended it and it works perfectly.

Code2medic

Reaction score
have you used an OEM bed lighting kit?
I installed according to the instructions and everything works correctly. made changes using alpha obd.
yes its the oem kit. what exactly did you change cause I follow the info and the button in the bed doesn't work for me

Bigboss954

Reaction score
So hey guys, question, if one is just upgrading the instrument cluster and the radio does he still need the security bypass? or will obdlink and alfaobd do the trick?

nateonator

Reaction score
2019 1500 big horn, Canadian, in US. Factory LEDs. Wanted to get the option to turn on/off DRLs in the Uconnect. In alfaobd I added the option under ecuconfig and then changed to optional under cbcfeatures. I did these changes yesterday and still not seeing the feature today.

Should I wait longer,does it take 24hrs? or did I miss a step? Should I also change DRL dropout?

If I don't see anything soon, I'll just change the DRL to no.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 1500 big horn, Canadian, in US. Factory LEDs. Wanted to get the option to turn on/off DRLs in the Uconnect. In alfaobd I added the option under ecuconfig and then changed to optional under cbcfeatures. I did these changes yesterday and still not seeing the feature today.

Should I wait longer,does it take 24hrs? or did I miss a step? Should I also change DRL dropout?

If I don't see anything soon, I'll just change the DRL to no.

Thanks for your help!

You also need to change CustSetMenu 1: Daytime running lights CSM Present to YES. This is what puts the menu option in the radio settings. Once you change that, it’ll take some time for it to show up.

nateonator

Reaction score
You also need to change CustSetMenu 1: Daytime running lights CSM Present to YES. This is what puts the menu option in the radio settings. Once you change that, it’ll take some time for it to show up.
That worked, thank you!

Another question. My fog light and bed light buttons dont activate the lights. When the headlights are on, the dash will show the fog light indicator as on, but they are still off. Pressing the button doesn't change anything. The cornering lights work though.

The bed light works with doors open etc, but the button won't turn them on.

Are there settings I can check to make sure they are set properly? Or is it more likely I've got a faulty switch?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That worked, thank you!

Another question. My fog light and bed light buttons dont activate the lights. When the headlights are on, the dash will show the fog light indicator as on, but they are still off. Pressing the button doesn't change anything. The cornering lights work though.

The bed light works with doors open etc, but the button won't turn them on.

Are there settings I can check to make sure they are set properly? Or is it more likely I've got a faulty switch?

Did your truck originally come with halogen fog lights, and you swapped in LED fogs?

nateonator

Reaction score
Did your truck originally come with halogen fog lights, and you swapped in LED fogs?
Yes, factiry LED package. Turns out I was wrong though. The dash does not indicate any of the lights when the fog and bed light buttons are pushed or even at night. The buttons don't seem to do anything. I'm thinking it's a switch or connection issue.

Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you reversed the polarity on the fog light connector?

nateonator

Reaction score
Did you reversed the polarity on the fog light connector?
I'll check the connectors. I only bought the truck recently, 8 don't think it has worked since I've owned it.

Bigboss954

Reaction score
I see you guys are having a discussion so I’ll keep this brief so we can figure out our fellow ram owners problem. I will be having the dealership install somethings I really don’t want to do(heated seats, remote start and passive entry) I know they will overcharge me and it’s fine as I just refinanced my home and got some money to blow. Anyway.... I bought the premium cluster and got the 8.4 radio coming, should I wait for the dealership to do its thing before I install my add ons so alfaobd doesn’t become void from whatever they do?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I see you guys are having a discussion so I’ll keep this brief so we can figure out our fellow ram owners problem. I will be having the dealership install somethings I really don’t want to do(heated seats, remote start and passive entry) I know they will overcharge me and it’s fine as I just refinanced my home and got some money to blow. Anyway.... I bought the premium cluster and got the 8.4 radio coming, should I wait for the dealership to do its thing before I install my add ons so alfaobd doesn’t become void from whatever they do?
Doesn't really matter, but if they flash the BCM to your Vin, you'll likely have to redo any changes you've made. Keep a log or screen shots of your alfa mods so you can quickly remember/re-mod them when you get the truck back.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
should I wait for the dealership to do its thing before I install my add ons so alfaobd doesn’t become void from whatever they do?
It is harder to get sales codes added to your VIN. In the "beginning" (2019) you could just pay the dealership to add sales codes to your VIN and flash your BCM to get you the new settings (permanently) for OEM add-ons like bed lighting, screen upgrades, etc.

Now it is very difficult from what I've read. Even if a dealership is willing to do this they don't have the access/permissions to do some of the sales codes any more and have to go through a regional/area rep (tech advisor or area manager) to have this done.

Bigboss954

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter, but if they flash the BCM to your Vin, you'll likely have to redo any changes you've made. Keep a log or screen shots of your alfa mods so you can quickly remember/re-mod them when you get the truck back.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk
Well lucky for me I’m still waiting for the radio, so it seems like they don’t have the passive entry in but I found it. So I’m going to order that and install myself. Save some money there. So the only thing they are installing are my seats and remote start.

Bigboss954

Reaction score
It is harder to get sales codes added to your VIN. In the "beginning" (2019) you could just pay the dealership to add sales codes to your VIN and flash your BCM to get you the new settings (permanently) for OEM add-ons like bed lighting, screen upgrades, etc.

Now it is very difficult from what I've read. Even if a dealership is willing to do this they don't have the access/permissions to do some of the sales codes any more and have to go through a regional/area rep (tech advisor or area manager) to have this done.
So if I am understanding this right? What they add on(heated seats, remote start) will be harder for them to flash over?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if I am understanding this right? What they add on(heated seats, remote start) will be harder for them to flash over?
Yes. That stuff can be done with AlfaOBD as long as you know what settings to modify. Many threads with that kind of info. The drawback is if the dealership updates/reflashes your BCM then you’re back to square one. Most of us keep the log or note what we’ve changed so that we keep track of the changes we’ve made.

I would contact dealers in your area to find out if they’ll do it and how much it is otherwise it will be a DIY software activation.

Users who are viewing this thread