5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Madness

nukeman

Reaction score
I've had other issues with my truck, but I'll stick with the Air Suspension problem for the purposes of this thread.

'19 Ram 1500 Bighorn CC 6'4" bed 4x4 , North Package, Air. 11k miles.

Basics:
-Received truck back from dealer 3rd week of September for other issues I brought it in to have fixed (that weren't fixed). Discovered upon delivery air suspension was "broke"
-Returned truck to dealer 2nd week of October for fixes. They still have it....
-FCA and dealer have "no solution" and there is no ETA for fix.

The very limited backstory:
-When I picked it up after first visit, I noticed the truck was sitting on the rear bumpstops in both Aero and Normal modes, and here's the odd one, it GAINED OR1 and OR2 settings (should just have "off-road") while at the dealer the first time. When truck was purchased it only had "off-road" and anything above showed "selected ride height not permitted" on EVIC...not now, it has 2 off-road settings..The truck literally sits 1.5 inches too low in both Aero and Normal and has 2 off-road settings now...but zero codes, error messages, or when they "plug-in" it says all is fine. They've re-flashed, re-programmed, etc.

-Dealer has had it for nearly 9 weeks to fix, and an additional 3 weeks prior for other issues that haven't been fixed either (crooked bumper, EVIC screen and 8.4 not matching, and B-Pillar weatherstripping warped. All the while the dealer has been telling me (when they actually called me) that the issues "were being fixed", otherwise I would have picked it up!
I'm numb. Dealer is a travesty, and I've proposed 2 months of truck payments and truck FIXED truck as an offer to make things right, but "lemon" is on my mind (or has been for a while).

-Today, dealer calls me (we're at 9 weeks now) and says he's been on the phone with FCA for 3 days straight and they have no solution for the air suspension.

-I'm entering 12 weeks that they have had it for the bumper and weatherstripping; both have had parts replaced, but are worse now than before.

Has anyone here had similar issues with their air suspension? I'm out of patience and have called an attorney.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Trade the truck in. Get away from that ****ty air ride suspension. Nothing but issues, especially in colder climates.

Gill-ZG

Reaction score
I've had other issues with my truck, but I'll stick with the Air Suspension problem for the purposes of this thread.

'19 Ram 1500 Bighorn CC 6'4" bed 4x4 , North Package, Air. 11k miles.

Basics:
-Received truck back from dealer 3rd week of September for other issues I brought it in to have fixed (that weren't fixed). Discovered upon delivery air suspension was "broke"
-Returned truck to dealer 2nd week of October for fixes. They still have it....
-FCA and dealer have "no solution" and there is no ETA for fix.

The very limited backstory:
-When I picked it up after first visit, I noticed the truck was sitting on the rear bumpstops in both Aero and Normal modes, and here's the odd one, it GAINED OR1 and OR2 settings (should just have "off-road") while at the dealer the first time. When truck was purchased it only had "off-road" and anything above showed "selected ride height not permitted" on EVIC...not now, it has 2 off-road settings..The truck literally sits 1.5 inches too low in both Aero and Normal and has 2 off-road settings now...but zero codes, error messages, or when they "plug-in" it says all is fine. They've re-flashed, re-programmed, etc.

-Dealer has had it for nearly 9 weeks to fix, and an additional 3 weeks prior for other issues that haven't been fixed either (crooked bumper, EVIC screen and 8.4 not matching, and B-Pillar weatherstripping warped. All the while the dealer has been telling me (when they actually called me) that the issues "were being fixed", otherwise I would have picked it up!
I'm numb. Dealer is a travesty, and I've proposed 2 months of truck payments and truck FIXED truck as an offer to make things right, but "lemon" is on my mind (or has been for a while).

-Today, dealer calls me (we're at 9 weeks now) and says he's been on the phone with FCA for 3 days straight and they have no solution for the air suspension.

-I'm entering 12 weeks that they have had it for the bumper and weatherstripping; both have had parts replaced, but are worse now than before.

Has anyone here had similar issues with their air suspension? I'm out of patience and have called an attorney.
Air suspensions in general are finicky. I would steer clear, try and trade it out, sounds like there are other issues with that truck as well. I had an audi allroad with adjustable air suspension. Fun until it didn't work, which was often. Very expensive to repair as well. $1200 per shock/bag. Many cold mornings where the vehicle was resting on the tires. Boooo.

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
The problem with our air suspensions is they collect water in the tanks and there are no way to drain them properly and they destroy the air divider block. Im going to have a place weld in some type of drain in each tank so I can drain them and Im putting in a new block. I hope this will cure the problem.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I don’t think that’s a common issue on these forums. If it was, we’d know.
I’ve had zero problems with mine and I’ve had my truck for about 18 months now. Hope they find a solution or give you a new truck.

Good luck,
Neurobit

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
If you don't register for a Lemon Law claim today, you're just wasting time. They've demonstrated they can't or won't correct the issue. There is nothing left to do. You have been *far* more patient than I'd have been.

Jordan3206

Reaction score
The problem with our air suspensions is they collect water in the tanks and there are no way to drain them properly and they destroy the air divider block. Im going to have a place weld in some type of drain in each tank so I can drain them and Im putting in a new block. I hope this will cure the problem.
[/QUI

It's a closed loop nitrogen system.... So?

nukeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Agree that water could enter and cause craziness, BUT, how did my suspension settings change? I have OR1 and OR2 now. Out of nowhere. As of today, FCA engineers are "baffled" (words of Service Manager) as to how that happens without a different module being installed or a complete reprogram.

bennekm

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I don’t think that’s a common issue on these forums. If it was, we’d know.
I’ve had zero problems with mine and I’ve had my truck for about 18 months now. Hope they find a solution or give you a new truck.

Good luck,
Neurobit

Agree have not had any issues with air suspension either and have had it on 4 suvs dating back over 10 years. It’s a must if you tow anything with weight.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Agree that water could enter and cause craziness, BUT, how did my suspension settings change? I have OR1 and OR2 now. Out of nowhere. As of today, FCA engineers are "baffled" (words of Service Manager) as to how that happens without a different module being installed or a complete reprogram.

Are you in a cold climate? What happened to mine multiple times is it would lose all of its nitrogen, fill with moist outside air. That would freeze some or all of the valves. I had to wrap a battery blanket around the valves, plug it in at night and plug it into a inverter while driving. Even after the winter, the ride quality had gone **** and everything was out of sync. According to FCA, there was nothing wrong with it.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with mine, but my friend with a 2017 Ram had issues with his. Glad it is an improved design. Agree very strongly that it is a must with towing. Even though the engineers say it isn't adding payload increases, it makes the max payload feel not much different than empty payload.

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
this system is not a closed system. the compressor puts air in the system and its hot air due to the compressor motor gets hot as it operates and the colder the climate the more condensation is created in the system. the more the system operates the more condensation gathers in the system. Im going to put in an expello electronic drain valve for each tank and this will cure the problem. Thank god our tanks are alluminum so there shouldnt be any rust in there. These drain valves are good for debris and water and they have a heater built in so this will give a short drain burst they claim with no pressure lose. Now if crysler used their heads this would allready be built in to prevent problems. The condensatin freezes up in the valve blocks and destrys them and may eventually get into the air shocks ect.... the system is some what closed not completely. and the reason they want you to put in 175 psi of nitrogen is 1 to fill the system so you dont burn out your compressor and 2 its clean and pure with no contaminants. thats why they tell you to use 99.99 percent pure nitrogen.

nukeman

Reaction score
Update. We're now 10 weeks into the air suspension issue. Dealer is "baffled" still and they are sending a Technical Engineer in from FCA next wednesday to try to fix.
They are lost on how the truck gained Off-Road 1 and Off-Road 2 settings on its own. They are leaning towards a software issue outside the Air Suspension Module, but no other ideas. I've leaned heavily on a Lemon or Buy-Back.
Do not buy a Ram with Air Suspension.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
The problem sounds like it is your dealer. Either a lack of Technical experience and knowledge, or training on the system, it’s not rocket science! Good luck.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Georgia has a 30 day clause in the lemon law. If your vehicle is out of service for 30 days you can file with virtually no questions asked. It's super easy.

Research your laws and file immediately. The laws are here for our protection. If your next post isn't too say you've filed the paperwork, then anything else bad that happens with this truck is on you. Lemon law is your best and only solution. Get it done.

You do not need an attorney. They are made simple for that very reason. If you can read and write, you can handle it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The problem sounds like it is your dealer. Either a lack of Technical experience and knowledge, or training on the system, it’s not rocket science! Good luck.
^^^ This ^^^
Spot on.

derp

Reaction score
Georgia has a 30 day clause in the lemon law. If your vehicle is out of service for 30 days you can file with virtually no questions asked. It's super easy.

Research your laws and file immediately. The laws are here for our protection. If your next post isn't too say you've filed the paperwork, then anything else bad that happens with this truck is on you. Lemon law is your best and only solution. Get it done.

You do not need an attorney. They are made simple for that very reason. If you can read and write, you can handle it.

This.

In fl its 15 days over the first 24 months of ownership.
A new purchase shoudnt be a hassle for the owner.

We can return a faulty blender, tv, or dang near any other defective retail purchase.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trade the truck in. Get away from that ****ty air ride suspension. Nothing but issues, especially in colder climates.
Air on mine and has had no problems since new(17000+), and has also had OR-1/OR-2 all the while. Funny thing is, it's a two wheel drive. Don't know if it makes any difference, but B&W hitch installer toasted the air lines(routed them next to the exhaust), and had to have the whole system (pump and lines) replaced in January this year. Dealer also did a system update at that time, so don't know if he changed anything else in the puter or not.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if the folks at AccuAir have a replacement for Ram 1500 air suspension components or not, but AccuAir is a high-quality outfit. Maybe they can give some guidance.
877-247-3696

Users who are viewing this thread