5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension hiden features (to me)

wvinson

Reaction score
I just found out 2 new features on my '19 Limited by accident. If you lower the truck with the remote while parked, it won't return to aero mode at 15 mph. It seem it would be good for mpg but it rides a little rough of course on the lowest setting.

Also, if you approach the truck with the key fob and hold the handle for a few seconds the truck will lower itself.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Not sure if that's working correctly. Mine returns to aero and then normal height regardless if I lower it in park or not.

Rick J

Reaction score
Mine does the same if I use the remote to lower it. If I lower it with the switch inside it returns to normal when I drive off but if I lowered it with the remote it stays there. I think it's a bug in the system but not worth going to the dealer for.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not sure if that's working correctly. Mine returns to aero and then normal height regardless if I lower it in park or not.
Agree. It should return to normal height above 15MPH, or if longer than 60 seconds at that speed.

Per manual:

"Entry/Exit Mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 2 in (51 mm)) – This position lowers the vehicle for easier passenger entry and exit as well as lowering the rear of the vehicle for easier loading and unloading of cargo.

To enter Entry/Exit Mode, push the height selec- tor switch down once from the NRH while the vehicle speed is below 33 mph (53 km/h).

Once the vehicle speed goes below 15 mph (24 km/h) the vehicle height will begin to lower. If the vehicle speed remains between 15 mph (24 km/h) and 25 mph (40 km/h) for greater than 60 seconds, or the vehicle speed exceeds 25 mph (40 km/h) the Entry/Exit change will be cancelled.

To return to Normal Height Mode, push the height selector switch up once while in Entry/Exit or drive the vehicle over 15 mph (24 km/h). Entry/Exit mode may not be available due to vehicle payload, an instrument cluster message will be displayed when this occurs."

wvinson

Reaction score
It only stays in entry/exit mode if I lower it with the key fob and the truck is off -- doesn't matter if locked or unlocked -- it stays.
Of course if I do it with the switch, it returns to aero mode.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I just found out 2 new features on my '19 Limited by accident. If you lower the truck with the remote while parked, it won't return to aero mode at 15 mph. It seem it would be good for mpg but it rides a little rough of course on the lowest setting

That's not right...but like u said prob not worth the trip to the dealership

Also, if you approach the truck with the key fob and hold the handle for a few seconds the truck will lower itself.

That's cool, did not know this!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s definitely a flaw in the system. I went to the dealer about it around this time last year... It rides rough in entry exit though

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I have to remember to lower mine before entering my garage, as in normal height I only have about 1/2” between the shark fin and the structure of my house. That’s a little too close for comfort so I lower before entering. What took a few times leaving though is to manually raise it back up when leaving. My area is a private gated community with multiple speed bumps, plus one rarely exceeds 12mph let alone 15 until back on public roads. Those speed bumps and entry mode don’t get along..

I’m grateful I have the air suspension and it’s partially what made me purchase the Ram, plus I think it’s the best in its class at the moment. I say that as a hard core Ford guy and until now a Dodge hater, so that says a lot. I do wish Ram would have a setup like my Land Rovers, as they have a tank in addition to the compressor and its pretty quick to raise from entry to even off-road height. Just an observation, and I’m not complaining.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to remember to lower mine before entering my garage, as in normal height I only have about 1/2” between the shark fin and the structure of my house. That’s a little too close for comfort so I lower before entering. What took a few times leaving though is to manually raise it back up when leaving. My area is a private gated community with multiple speed bumps, plus one rarely exceeds 12mph let alone 15 until back on public roads. Those speed bumps and entry mode don’t get along..

I’m grateful I have the air suspension and it’s partially what made me purchase the Ram, plus I think it’s the best in its class at the moment. I say that as a hard core Ford guy and until now a Dodge hater, so that says a lot. I do wish Ram would have a setup like my Land Rovers, as they have a tank in addition to the compressor and its pretty quick to raise from entry to even off-road height. Just an observation, and I’m not complaining.
If you’ve lowered yours while driving, it should automatically raise once you restart and leave the house (as you hit 16 mph). Has that not been your experience?

I agree about the speed of raise/lower, and the system on the 5th-gens was supposedly redesigned from the 4th-gens to be simpler and faster (one larger compressor instead of two smaller ones). I can’t imagine it being 25% slower.

smashweights

Reaction score
My limited does the same. If I use the remote to lower it (washing,etc) it doesn't raise up once driving. I only noticed cause of the rough ride

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My limited does the same. If I use the remote to lower it (washing,etc) it doesn't raise up once driving. I only noticed cause of the rough ride
Ditto...but only when using the fob while off. And maybe not even every time (it’s been too long since I tried this).

Hrspwr88

Reaction score

Strange. If I use the remote to lower it, it still raises once I get to 15mph.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
To answer above, yes mine raises back to normal above 15 mph, I just need to manually raise it to deal with the 3 speed bumps before I can make it to 15 mph.

airgas1998

Reaction score
yep mine stayed in e/e mode if i used the fob as well. must be a bug of some sort way to rough of a ride....

DivrGuy

Reaction score
I have the same issue when lowering with the fob while the truck is off. Although it seems to only be when I lower it and let it sit for a couple hours that it won't automatically raise. If I lower it with the fob, then soon after, crank up and go, it raises back up. It also frequently only raises back to Aero mode, even after turning off Aero mode in the settings. Took it to the dealer and of course they said they could not reproduce. Contacted RamCares and they opened a case and had someone contact me. She said they had never heard of this problem. I'm soon going to take my truck back for its next service soon and see if I can get anything done.
But people need to start reporting this issue so Ram takes it seriously.

wvinson

Reaction score
I have the same issue when lowering with the fob while the truck is off. Although it seems to only be when I lower it and let it sit for a couple hours that it won't automatically raise. If I lower it with the fob, then soon after, crank up and go, it raises back up. It also frequently only raises back to Aero mode, even after turning off Aero mode in the settings. Took it to the dealer and of course they said they could not reproduce. Contacted RamCares and they opened a case and had someone contact me. She said they had never heard of this problem. I'm soon going to take my truck back for its next service soon and see if I can get anything done.
But people need to start reporting this issue so Ram takes it seriously.
Good luck -- I'm just going to let mine be - I always have the "can't duplicate" problem!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good luck -- I'm just going to let mine be - I always have the "can't duplicate" problem!

If at any point you are willing to address this further with a Ram dealer, we are always a private message away and happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support.

Mark
RamCares

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Curious, how do you lower the truck with key fob. Maybe I skimmed over that page in the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/